• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Questions about CF vehicles - design and operation

Bzzliteyr said:
I can confirm, that was a huge issue in sandy areas and not fun when trying to recover a vehicle stuck up to the hubs in clay(in Afghanistan!).. I have pictures of that to share as well.  I will NOT admit being the CC though it may have been the case.

Ouch I feel your pain.  We had to use a civvie crane to get a LAV up to it's hubs out of the mud/clay when all other recovery methods failed.  Luckily the same crane had earlier that day lifted my LAV off of the bridge and embankment that we were stuck on so they were in the area. 

But my recovery was about 2 hours from the FOB on a presence patrol.  Calling the QRF was an option, but thanks to an incredibly persistent interpreter (who wouldn't let us take the shovel from him!!) we dug ourselves out and using two tow cables, gave it enough love to extract it.

PHOTOs NEEDED!!

Here's one for the maintainers/VTECHs; I need some pics of the troop area, particularly the floor, of the LAVIII with the benches out and the panels off the floor... The engineers here want to see what's under the floor boards (dirt and grime included).
Shoot me a message if you can provide some pictures.

Cheers.  :piper:

RHFC_piper said:
PHOTOs NEEDED!!

Here's one for the maintainers/VTECHs; I need some pics of the troop area, particularly the floor, of the LAVIII with the benches out and the panels off the floor... The engineers here want to see what's under the floor boards (dirt and grime included).
Shoot me a message if you can provide some pictures.

Cheers.  :piper:

For Security reasons I would say that this is not a good idea. 

George Wallace said:
For Security reasons I would say that this is not a good idea.

I'm not asking to have these photos posted here... And they are being used to improve the vehicles (specifically, Canadian vehicles). 

If this is an issue to the mods here, then I will cease posting these questions here and rely solely on the few contacts I have to gain the same information...  Or, alternatively; then engineers here will just have to wait (an increadibly long time) for photos from DND/GDLS directly.

Either way, thanks for all the input thus far.

Not necessarily that you would post, but someone else may without thinking.

I would figure that with what you are attempting, you would approach GD in London and work with them on solutions, as opposed to privately, and no guarantees that it would be accepted.

It's quite the job pulling off the floor.  I have only seen it done once and it was on my driver's course.

Are you sure this company you are working for is really a "big player"? I would think that if they are looking to improve our vehicles and it is in the interest of the CF, pictures should be readily available to them.

Maybe the wait is due to security checks to verify the legitimacy of this business?

I am trying to play devil's advocate with my questions but at the same time I have some concerns.

And a suggestion to help them expedite things would be maybe to contact someone that could get them to 202 workshop here in Montreal and let them run rampant with a camera?

I understand the concern in both respects.

This company does get photos from both GDLS and DND, but they're of stock vehicles which have never been used.  Which may sound great, but not when the goal is a refit of vehicles currently in service.  Another relating issue is that GDLS doesn't exactly keep photos of old vehicles kicking around, and the current incarnation of the LAVIII in the CF is years behind what GDLS is producing.

In regards to the wait time; it's not an issue of "security checks"; this company has been around a while. It's an issue of competition. Most companies don't make a habbit of helping the competition... GDLS is no exception.

Anyway, it is of no consequence; the engineers asked if I could get my hands on the pics, as just another resource available to them, and I said I would ask and see what happens.  I've recieved quite a few pics already, and they've helped a lot.  But, the concerns which have been raised are legitimate, so I'll just leave it be.

For those interested, the Security of Information Act may be applicable:

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/ShowFullDoc/cs/O-5//20090623/en?command=home&caller=SI&search_type=all&shorttitle=security&day=23&month=6&year=2009&search_domain=cs&showall=L&statuteyear=all&lengthannual=50&length=50

RHFC_piper, stop asking for photos of the troop compartment!    You would have received the the OPSEC brief prior to 3-06.  It still applies.  Think nato secret.

If you need access to photos, blueprints, codes, and passwords you would already have them.

If it were me, I would have locked this thread as soon as you asked for information you are not entitled to, and chucked a warning at you for good measure.

Trust No One said:
RHFC_piper, stop asking for photos of the troop compartment!    You would have received the the OPSEC brief prior to 3-06.  It still applies.  Think nato secret.

If you need access to photos, blueprints, codes, and passwords you would already have them.

If it were me, I would have locked this thread as soon as you asked for information you are not entitled to, and chucked a warning at you for good measure.

This has already been addressed.  As far as I'm concerned, this thread can be lock/deleted/whatever. 

All I was looking for is what is already available online with a simple google search (just saves me a search)... of course, with the exception of the last request, which I have subsequently withdrawn. 

As well, I would never ask for these pictures to be posted here. And as for where they end up; I don't even keep copies.  They're passed on to those who requested them (here at work).

But, I digress; I'll realize the fault in asking for this info on an open forum, and, thus, I'll find another resource and direct my co-workers to do the same.

Edit;  Just a thought though; wouldn't posting "lessons learned in Afghanistan" and any other threads regarding issued kit, vehicles, etc, be no different/ no less of a threat?

Back