• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question of the Hour

Brilliant research on the pregnancy aspect...... laughed a bit at that one, its odd, but very very logical, considering the "bun in the oven" part. 
Jack Dusty would have been an apprentice commissary officer, and in particular, the youngster in charge of flour stores - hence dusty.  These days, with commisaries being replace by Log Os, and apprentices being replaced by Victuallers, the title would indeed belong to the supply technician doing the dutis of victualler.
In Naval parlance, Duff is simply any form of dessert.  It came from the (likely) common mistake of assuming that if Tough was pronounced "tuff", and rough was pronounced "ruff", it stood to reason that dough should be called "duff."

As for the ill fated mexican thing for our poor Erzherzog Ferdinand Max (later the Kaiser Maximilian of Mexico), it was that dastardly Napoleon III who backed him.

vonGarvin said:
I actually cheated and googled: Chicken Marengo

Tsk, tsk, tsk. You should have just watched the classic Julia Child episode where she whips out her grandfather's cutlass.

While it is true that Nap backed Maximillian, there was another person who passionately urged him to take the offer and go to Mexico.  It is that person I seek in your answer.  Thanks for the rest of the dough/duff saga, Rhibwolf.

It seems that the question about the person urging on Maximillian was more difficult than I expected.  Here is a giveaway clue:

She died insane in 1927.

That made it a bit easier.
She was Marie Amelie Augustine Victoire Clementine Leopoldine, christened Marie Charlotte Amelie, and commonly referred to as Carlota.
Carlota was bored and dissatisfied at Miramar and was burning with ambition to be an Empress.

Who were the first three whores of europe and who coined the phrase?

Oh oh oh... I think I know this one, I think I do!!!!

It was Frederick the Great of Prussia speaking about Empress Maria Theresa (Austria) ,Empress Elizaveta Petrovna (Russia), and Mme. De Pompadour (France).

Am I right???? Am I? Am I??? Huh?  Am I?

If it's okay, I'll ask the next one.

Which professional hockey player(started this season in NHL) was court martialled and found guilty?

Carlota it was.  She urged poor Max to his eventual doom at the hands of the outraged Mexicans.

How did the Crittenden family truly epitomize the divisions in Kentucky about the American Civil War?

Oops, belay that one until the hockey player question is answered...

TMM said:
If it's okay, I'll ask the next one.

Which professional hockey player(started this season in NHL) was court martialled and found guilty?

For some reason, I could not edit this so I will need a new post to do this and make the question a bit easier:

Which professional hockey player(currently has an NHL contract but playing in a different league) was court martialled by the Red Army and found guilty?

Since there's no answer after three days, I'll put you lot out of your misery:

Alexander Mogilny

Interesting read on the situation here

Sorry TMM, I was looking, but I have never been much of a hockey fan (the court martial on the other hand...).

That brings us back to my question on the Crittendens, are there any takers on that one?

From what I've found:
John Crettenden was a senator who offered up a resolution that would preserve the Union through compromise, while both his sons ended up as generals on opposite sides of the war.

see: http://sunsite.utk.edu/civil-war/critten.html

That's correct Marti.  The Crittendens represented the various views in Kentucky - neutrality, as well as choosing sides in the civil war.  It really was brother against brother.

Who or what was the "grand old lady of no man's land?"

Ohmigod... I know this one too!!!  I don't know why but I know the answer!!!

The Vicker's Machine Gun...

I am sure Dr. Charters at UNB would be shocked that I (of all of his students he has ever taught) would actually remember that one!!!

That's right scoutfinch, she's the vickers HMG.  Once fired for two weeks straight in testing stopping only to change belts and add water.
A wonderful piece of kit.

What was the primary weapon of the musketeers? 

"What was the primary weapon of the musketeers? "

Black hats with large round ears, crappy kids music and mickey mouse 'til death????

Ohhhh... that was MUSKETEERS not MOUSEKETEERS.  Sorry.  Don't know this one.

We'll go with the matchlock musket, and even Athos and company, though rarely seen with them in the movies, would be armed with their matchlocks in battle.  The rapier was a back up weapon.

What's a Belgian rattlesnake?

Back