• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Quebeckers have a mental Bloc

So Justin Trudeau's criteria for leaving the country is not getting exactly what he wants?  On a serious note, I thought that Harper had made it pretty clear that the abortion issue wasn't being raised again, nor the gay marriage one. 

I hope that JTs tactics aren't that of the Liberal party as a whole... Canada needs to have a legitimate second party and left alternative to the NDP.

Bird_Gunner45 said:
So Justin Trudeau's criteria for leaving the country is not getting exactly what he wants?  On a serious note, I thought that Harper had made it pretty clear that the abortion issue wasn't being raised again, nor the gay marriage one. 

I hope that JTs tactics aren't that of the Liberal party as a whole... Canada needs to have a legitimate second party and left alternative to the NDP

No matter  how many times Mr Harper says it, nor how many backbench motions are quashed by the PM, the Liberals will persist in dragging out this tired trope.

The only thing that JT has going for him is good hair. But most of it grows inward and tickles his brain.

How dare that ignorant twerp think that his values are Canadian values. I have listened to the likes of Trudeau, Rae, Axworthy, Lalonde, Whelan et al spout their crap for 30 years. I have felt their disdain and outright hatred towards western Canadians as they did everything in their power to limit our growth and foster their pandering to Quebec. So now the shoe is on the other foot and they don't like the feel of it. Well you reap what you sow ass clowns.  Let us hope that a few years in the wilderness teaches them some humility, but the actions of JT today show that they have a long way to go.

First of all, I am a Canadian, a western Canadian.  The way the "East" (Ontario and Quebec) treated the West in the past was disgraceful at times.
JT is a spoiled brat who is reopening old wounds that have not healed over. In fact, many westerners say " you want to go? Then go!"
Be careful what you wish for JT.

Jim Seggie said:
First of all, I am a Canadian, a western Canadian.  The way the "East" (Ontario and Quebec) treated the West in the past was disgraceful at times.

I'm an Easterner....and I'll agree with everything you've said above.

Jim Seggie said:
And the Atlantic provinces were screwed over as well.

What comes to mind instantly....Quebec......Power/Electricity....Newfoundland.

Danjanou said:
The fun part was trying to figure out the pseudonyms of the main and supporting characters from the different Regiments. Having just been posted to one of the units in the book, it was interesting to note how accurate he was in their descriptions and persona. Not a bad read and one of the better in this rather limited genre. Far superior to Rohmers efforts and the 1970's Killing Ground (IIRC the name)

Reactions to the Dauphin's musings are in this article, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Ottawa Citizen:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Separatist+comments+reveal+real+Justin+Trudeau+analysts/6153616/story.html
Separatist comments reveal the real Justin Trudeau, analysts say

By Robert Sibley

The Ottawa Citizen
February 15, 2012

Justin Trudeau betrays his political immaturity and narcissism in suggesting that his commitment to a united Canada is dependent on whether the Conservative government validates his personal values, say prominent political analysts.

“This guy is clearly self-indulgent; he really does think everything is about him and his feelings,” Barry Cooper, a political theorist at the University of Calgary, said Tuesday in commenting on statements Trudeau made in a recent French-language interview. “That’s a measure of his lightweight status in the firmament of deep-thinking Liberals.”

On Sunday, Trudeau, a Montreal MP, told his Radio-Canada host: “I always say, if at a certain point, I believe that Canada was really the Canada of Stephen Harper — that we were going against abortion, and we were going against gay marriage, and we were going backwards in 10,000 different ways — maybe I would think about making Quebec a country.”

The remarks have generated a furor this week. The blogosphere and the twitterverse went into hyperdrive, with commentators stunned that the 40-year-old son of Pierre Trudeau could so readily offend his father’s federalist vision. The politicians weren’t far behind. Not surprisingly, the Bloc Québécois interpreted Trudeau’s remarks as an endorsement for their own opposition to the Conservative government. A Tory MP, Merv Tweed, taunted Trudeau, saying “while our Conservative government is committed to keeping Canada strong, united and free, the member opposite is contemplating reasons for Quebec to separate from Canada.’’

Such remarks forced Trudeau to beat a hasty retreat on Tuesday, clearing the air with a three-minute address in front of a mob of reporters and cameras on Parliament Hill. “The question is not why does Justin Trudeau suddenly not love this country, because the question is ridiculous,’’ Trudeau said. “I live this country in my bones every breath I take, and I’m not going to stand here and somehow defend that I actually do love Canada because we know I love Canada.’’

Regardless of Trudeau’s rhetorical retrenchment, some observers said his original remarks revealed a great deal about his character, as well as his incoherence as a politician.

“If had read the quote and not known who said it, I would have attributed it to an adolescent,” said Tom Darby, a political philosopher at Carleton University. “It does not matter what party or even what policies one favours, the quote is factually untrue, irresponsible, and even treasonous. He (Trudeau) says that his father was an intellectual and that he is not. About this he is correct, which his childish statement proves.”

Robert Asselin, a political scientist at the University of Ottawa who specializes in Canada-Quebec affairs, noted the inherent narcissism of Trudeau’s attitude. “That’s the first observation I would make. But also, government policy should not dictate one’s preference for secession or not. Secession is a very grave action and you don’t even suggest it (as a possibility) because you don’t share certain beliefs or values of the government of the moment.”

“Politics is not about personal feelings,” said Cooper. “It’s about the ethics of responsibility. He was elected as a member of Parliament from a particular constituency. He was not elected in his own right because he has these sensitive feelings about various things. Whether he likes it or not, he’s supposed to be a responsible political leader, and he’s clearly incapable of understanding what his job is.”

Trudeau has, in fact, been stepping in it regularly of late. In December, he referred to Environment Minister Peter Kent as a “piece of sh--.” He was taken to task for wrongly claiming that there would be no way to track firearms after the registry’s disappearance when he tweeted his opposition to the Conservative government’s plans to scrap the gun registry. And he was much criticized when he told a reporter he was “uncomfortable” with the use of the phrase “honour killings” because he thought it was “pejorative.”

Political analysts such as Darby and Cooper question whether Trudeau has taken his dislike of Harper’s policies to an imprudent extreme that says more about himself than about the policies he supposedly opposes.

“Young Trudeau is living out the consequences of his father’s vision of what the country should look like, that the state exists to compel us to like one another, to think alike, that we all have to have the same values,” said Cooper. “You’ve got this kind of narcissistic response that the state only exists to reflect your values. There’s nothing to be patriotic about (and) so you can indulge whatever idiosyncratic policy preferences you might have. Trudeau Junior reflects this attitude, and for a lot of people his age and younger, they probably think this is a perfectly legitimate way of looking at politics.”

Trudeau’s statement reflected the “incredible notion” that loyalty to one’s country is predicated on whether that country lived up to your personal sentiments, said Darby. It is quite legitimate to oppose the policies of a particular government, he said, but Trudeau showed no sense of what Canadians have in common, no sense of shared citizenship and the responsibilities that come with citizenship. “The problem with that is he’s not thinking beyond his own self-interest. He’s like a kid who says, ‘I don’t like what’s happening in this game, so I’m going to take my stuff and go home.’”

Asselin, meanwhile, speculated that Trudeau reflected the sentiments of many Quebecers who feel they don’t share the values of the Conservative government. Nevertheless, that’s no excuse to indulge in imprudent hints about supporting separatism. “That’s the line he crossed. That’s why it’s dangerous.”

Trudeau’s behaviour raises questions about his political intelligence, and his potential as a future Liberal leader, Asselin said. “I’m always surprised to see his name as a potential candidate (for the Liberal leadership) because I’ve never seen anything substantive from him that would make me believe he would be a good leader. What is his vision of Canada? I would not be able to tell you what it is. I know what his father stood for, but I don’t know what Justin Trudeau’s is.”

And what might Pierre Trudeau have thought of his son’s statement? “I don’t think his father would have been happy at all to read it. He would probably spank him on his behind, and say, ‘What have you said? This is not right.’”

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

I think it is true that "Trudeau reflected the sentiments of many Quebecers who feel they don’t share the values of the Conservative government," but that's neither here nor there. Québec isn't going anywhere because there's no place to go, nationhood, as envisioned by a majority of Québecers is impossible, even if they can win a referendum.

Trudeau has already excused himself from this leadership race ~ it looks, to me, as if he's disqualified himself from the next one, too.

Can you just imagine the even bigger smile on this guys' face?

dominic-leblanc.jpg

Dominic LeBlanc — Beauséjour
Franco, 45 years old, fluently bilingual, electable, smart ...

Inherent narcissism does not stop a person,  massively supported by a bias, (malevolent to me; benevolent to Redeye) media, from being elected by people to be the head of a country.

His father did his very best to tear apart Canada.

Quebec separatism suffers from some reality issues. First thee is the issue of First Nations. The FN will know they have the Quebecers by the short and curlies and will make them pay dearly for any support. Where will this money and future monies come from?
2nd I suspect that the GDP of Quebec likely outstrips the rest of the Francophone world not counting France, so who are they going to trade with purely in French?
3rd Most of the immigrants in the francophone world are not white and come from very poor countries. So if Quebec need immigrants the pool they have to draw upon will significantly change Quebec culture and they will not have the education to quickly start contributing to the Quebec economy.
4th They are going to have to deal with a significant backlash by the rest of Canada, including boycotts of their goods
5th They are going to lose out on any more transfer payments and I doubt many politicians are going feel any political pressure to bow to Quebec’s demands for  payouts and transfers of funds
6th What happens to all Federal lands within Quebec? Who pays for the transfers, cleanups? Again the average English-Canadian (or recent immigrant) is going to tell the politicians “I ain’t paying no blackmail monies” 

Rifleman62 said:
Inherent narcissism does not stop a person,  massively supported by a bias, (malevolent to me; benevolent to Redeye) media, from being elected by people to be the head of a country.

His father did his very best to tear apart Canada.

While I agree that the Trudeau era was bad, even very bad for national unity it was not, I believe that Pierre Trudeau retained any of his youthful separatist/fascist/Abbé Lionel Groulx fantasies. It was, I think more the unintended consequences of his approach. It was hard for Trudeau, who promoted the "French fact" in Canada, to appear as anything other than anti-English, thereby simultaneously fueling Franco animosity and Anglo mistrust. Additionally, his evident disdain for Québec's popular leaders (political and social) stoked the flames of Franco humiliation without earning any "respect" in English Canada. Trudeau (mistakenly) thought he was the smartest kid in the room; in fact others, including René Lévesque and Peter Lougheed, had a much better understanding of Québec and Canada.

In my opinion Pierre Trudeau's main problem was that he was not, in his heart or his mind, a Canadian or a Québecer; he was a European and he was never "at home" in the country of his birth, not even when he was leading its government.

I did not mean it was his intent, but it was the result produced. He was not smart enough to figure out for ever action there is a reaction.

But, look at some of the kiddy antics which did not exactly enhance unity: fingers, fuddle duddle, pirouetting, sell your own wheat, etc, etc, etc.

The Good Grey Globe's Jeffrey Simpson tries to square the circle in this article which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opinions/jeffrey-simpson/canadas-political-reversal-is-complete/article2391100/
Canada’s political reversal is complete

JEFFREY SIMPSON

From Wednesday's Globe and Mail
Published Wednesday, Apr. 04, 2012

Montrealer Thomas Mulcair’s election as NDP leader completes the reversal of the fundamental dynamics of Canadian politics that have prevailed for more than two decades.

Since the late 1980s, Canadian politics has been shaped, more than anything else, by the dialectics between Montreal and Calgary or, more broadly, between Quebec and Western Canada, whose political centre is Calgary.

Since the 1960s, when the Quiet Revolution changed Quebec politics, the aspirations of that province dominated federal politics until the end of the Jean Chrétien era. Under both Liberals and Conservatives, Ottawa struggled to deal with Quebec’s restlessness.

Quebec was always in power in Ottawa (except for the Joe Clark interregnum). It drove decisions and shaped events. Its priorities were usually those of the federal government. All those constitutional and federal-provincial conferences were, more than anything, about Quebec.

Quebec’s ideas about constitutional change, the role of the state, social policy, even international relations – most of which were incubated in Montreal – influenced every federal government. Clearly, Quebec provincial governments and the more nationalist elements in the province did not always get what they sought, but their pressure was always felt in Ottawa.

In the late 1980s, a reaction began against some of those Quebec ideas. Intellectually and politically, the reaction began and flourished in Calgary, epicentre of the Reform Party, the Canada West Foundation, the oil business, the University of Calgary’s social sciences departments, and some contributors to the magazine Alberta Report.

To Montreal’s demands for special status for Quebec, Calgary replied that all provinces should be equal. To Montreal’s preference for constitutional changes giving more power to provinces, Calgary replied with a Triple-E Senate. To Montreal’s preference for a providential state, Calgary favoured a diminished one. To Montreal’s belief that the state should guide the economy, Calgary preferred laissez faire. To Montreal’s belief that climate change was a real and pressing danger, Calgary replied with indifference.

The Mulroney government broke apart because of the political and intellectual gap between the ideas of Montreal and Calgary, with parts of his coalition becoming the Reform Party and the Bloc Québécois.

It also fractured because, after the failures of the Meech Lake and Charlottetown constitutional reform efforts, the rest of Canada grew tired of Quebec’s agenda and was no longer scared by its threat to secede. In Quebec, it became clear that constitutional reform was at a dead end, so, after a last shot at seceding in the referendum of 1995, the province’s politics settled into a less existential mode. Quebec would stop trying to change Canada, or break it up, but withdraw into a de facto special status.

Quebec remained central to the Chrétien thinking, led by a Quebecker. But when Stephen Harper, a transplanted Calgarian and former Reform MP, created today’s Conservative Party, Calgary shoved Montreal out of the driver’s seat.

From being the intellectual and political centre of Her Majesty’s Loyal Opposition, Calgary’s vision (and, more generally, Western Canada’s) became ascendant in Ottawa – lower taxes, smaller government, no special status, indifference to constitutional reform, conservative social policy, little interest in the environment.

In Mr. Harper’s first years, there was muted dissatisfaction in Calgary with their prime minister (who, if truth be told, knew very few big hitters in the city). But the disillusioned bit their tongues because their boy and party had arrived in office and one day, they prayed, the Conservatives would form a majority government.

Quebec had put itself on the political sidelines by voting Bloc Québécois, a party with no interest in governing Canada and no interest in Canada as a whole.

Quebeckers finally tired of this political futility but couldn’t vote for a Calgary-dominated government whose vision was so different from their own. They voted to put themselves into Official Opposition status by supporting the NDP. With Mr. Mulcair’s election, in no small part due to his support in Quebec and the sense in the party that he could hold that support, Quebec’s interests will daily shape the NDP.

So the Calgary-Montreal dialectics that dominated Canadian public life remain, but in a different relationship. After being in opposition for so long, Calgary is now in power – and after having been in power for so long, Montreal is now in opposition.

This is Simpson's own mini "lament for a nation" - the "nation" in which he believes has its intellectual soul in Montreal and its economic heart in Toronto and those red-necked Westerners and provincial Maritimers are to consider themselves lucky to be guided by the Montreal-Toronto (Liberal) axis.

shrek.jpg

Change is good, Donkey Jeffrey

The Calgary:Montreal dichotomy is interesting.  I shall also be interested to see how the Vancouver:Calgary dichotomy evolves in Western Canadian politics - the greater Vancouver metro area has about half the population of Western Canada.  Having lived in BC and Alberta for most of my life, I can say that BC outside of Vancouver is very similar to rural Alberta, except that the NDP has a traditional level of support in much of the BC interior based upon forestry/mining union support.  In Vancouver however, anything goes politically, with much of the outlying municipalities going Conservative while the urban core splits between NDP and Liberal.

Donald Savoie is a serious student of Canadian governance, so his views, expressed in this opinion piece which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail, deserve our attention:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/commentary/who-will-speak-up-for-canada/article4377617/
Who will speak up for Canada?

DONALD SAVOIE

The Globe and Mail
Published Friday, Jun. 29 2012

Think back to 1995, when Canada was in the throes of a national unity crisis. The “Yes” side in the Quebec referendum was fast gaining momentum on the eve of the vote. Brian Tobin and Sheila Copps decided to organize a Montreal “love-in” to show Quebeckers that Canadians cared deeply about Quebec and its place in the Canadian family.

Air Canada, Canadian Pacific and Via Rail offered deep discounts, in some cases up to 90 per cent of the cost, for Canadians to make their way to Montreal. Every available bus in Ontario was conscripted and 75 packed buses left New Brunswick to make their way to Montreal.

What if Quebec once again plunges Canada into a national unity crisis? The prospect is hardly far-fetched given that the Parti Québécois appears poised to win the next provincial election. A PQ government would spare no effort, through a referendum or a manufactured crisis, to put Quebec’s sovereignty at the top of its political agenda.

I was recently asked how many Canadians from outside Quebec would now rush to a Montreal “love-in” for national unity? In my view, not many. This time, I suspect, one would be hard-pressed to fill more than a few buses from New Brunswick. I also suspect that many Canadians would sit back, cross their arms and say, “Over to you Quebeckers – you decide.”

Times have changed. Western Canada is more confident today than in 1995 that it could fly solo, if it had to. Ontario appears to have lost interest in national unity, the provincial government and Ontario-based think tanks seemingly focused on the message that Ontario is not getting its fair share of federal government spending. Ontario is now no different from the other regions in believing it is being shortchanged by Ottawa. John Robarts, Bill Davis and David Peterson would not approve.

Many in Atlantic Canada are increasingly aware that national political institutions and national policies have, over the years, hurt their region’s economy. Ottawa recognized years ago that national policies inherently favoured Central Canada and started to send guilt money our way in the form of transfer payments. These payments served to make our region economically dependent on them. Atlantic Canadians also know that Ottawa has, since the mid-1990s, been slowly but surely closing its transfer payment tap to the region. Disheartened Atlantic Canadians now seem inclined to say, “Who cares? If Quebec wants to go, let it.” Oh! If only things could be that simple.

The political landscape, both nationally and in Quebec, has also changed. Who in Quebec would now lead the “No” side? Pierre Trudeau, Brian Mulroney and Jean Chrétien were all Quebec native sons willing to step up to the plate in defence of a united Canada. If the PQ should win power, the provincial Liberals would very likely begin the search for a new leader. However, even a cursory look at Quebec’s political scene reveals few credible voices on the horizon able or willing to speak strongly for Canada.

For many Canadians, the Quebec brand is hurting. The provincial government is running a huge deficit and trying to cope with a crippling debt. However, it is unable to stare down a group of university students fighting for lower university tuition rates, despite the fact that they already enjoy the lowest rates in Canada.

Many Canadians are baffled at the social unrest generated by a small group of students. Why are there so few voices from the political, business, academic and artistic communities speaking out? Jacques Villeneuve did just that recently and reported a few days later that he had “received a pack of injurious and insulting e-mails”and that he was castigated by many on social media sites in the name of democracy – go figure. I was surprised to see Mr. Villeneuve left dangling in the wind by Quebec’s elites.

We may well be sleepwalking into a perfect storm. Canadians are not where they were in 1995 on national unity. More than ever, Quebec federalists will find themselves alone in pleading the merits of a united country, all the while knowing that the rest of Canada has lost interest in their cause. Yet, the “No” side appears bereft of such leaders in Quebec in the event of a new national unity crisis in the form of another Quebec referendum on sovereignty or a manufactured incident.

The other important point is that although we may have grown tired of a Quebec-focused national unity debate, seeing different regions heading off in different directions is not without significant consequences. Untangling Canada’s various political and economic arrangements would hardly be a simple matter. Current developments in the European Union and its member states, which have less demanding institutional arrangements than Canada, offer important lessons that we should heed.

For my part, I remain firmly convinced that a united Canada is worth fighting for and better than any alternative. I also believe that those Canadians who argue that we would all be better off without Quebec gloss over the huge political and economic costs of getting there. That said, new leaders are needed in Quebec willing to stand up for a united Canada.

Donald J. Savoie is the Canada Research Chair in Public Administration and Governance at the University of Moncton.

To begin: I agree fully with Prof Savoie when he says, "I remain firmly convinced that a united Canada is worth fighting for and better than any alternative. I also believe that those Canadians who argue that we would all be better off without Quebec gloss over the huge political and economic costs of getting there."

I also agree with him that Canada has changed and most Canadians are likely to say, “Over to you Quebeckers – you decide.”

The debate has changed, it reminds me of the "conversation," in the 1760s, between the government in London and the colonists in America; they talked past one another, not with one another. The American colonists were not asking for much: just the civil and political rights which their kith and kin in Britain, proper, took for granted. The British government, equally, had legitimate grievances, mostly economic, about the costs of defending the colonies and their unwillingness to do or pay their fair share and, in fact, their smuggling (with the French Caribbean islands) which deprived Britain of revenue. But while both sides talked neither heard the other.

I have said before that, in my opinion, French speaking Quebec has already left Canada in all meaningful social senses. What we need to do, solely on economic grounds, is to further decentralize what is, already, the most decentralized federation in the modern world,* creating an even looser union.

---------
* Ronald L Watts, Comparing Federal Systems, McGill-Queen,s University Press, Montreal & Kingston, 1999

Good post Edward, and I concur with all your assertions.

It's funny how mainstream Canada is eager to wrap itself in a Maple Leaf flag, but when it comes to the nuts and bolts of things, we are really 6-8 different entities that are rapidly losing patience with each other.

It probably has something to do with the fact that most people would like to find their own path between cradle and grave, but at the same time can't resist telling others which path to follow.

More on the two solitudes in this column which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/commentary/to-quebec-canada-barely-exists/article4510793/
To Quebec, Canada barely exists

JEFFREY SIMPSON
The Globe and Mail

Published Friday, Aug. 31 2012

Very few places in the world would feature, as Quebec’s four bruising televised leaders’ debates did, one-quarter of the debating time devoted to “identité.”

Whether all, or only some, of Quebec’s ongoing political dialogue involves who francophone Quebeckers are as a “people,” a “nation,” or some other collective notion of self, very few debates these days have much to do with Canada.

Canada, which is what federalists ostensibly sell, is beyond the pale of reference – except as something from which secessionists wish to leave. Canada has just sort of drifted away, just as the day-to-day links between francophone Quebeckers and other Canadians, never very tight, have diminished to the point almost of irrelevance.

In most walks of life – in what we might call civil society – the links are thin. And within the political realm, where historically francophones and other Canadians interacted constructively or with conflict, again the links have frayed.

Today, more than at any time in Canadian history, there are almost no federalists in Quebec political life who speak often and with conviction about the merits of the Canadian federal system. There are no federalist champions from Ottawa whose voices resonate in Quebec, and there are few in the realm of provincial politics.

Quebec Premier Jean Charest is certainly a committed federalist, but in the confines of provincial politics, he muffles his enthusiasm for the country, preferring (or being required by the political culture) to portray federalism as an economic calculus only, much the way former premier Robert Bourassa usually did, a ledger sheet running in Quebec’s favour.

Mr. Charest appears to have run out his string, and will likely be replaced as premier either by Pauline Maurois of the Parti Québécois who wants out of Canada, or François Legault of the Coalition Avenir Québec who wants to remain because he does not want to leave, at least not just yet.

The government of Prime Minister Stephen Harper is hugely unpopular, devoid of impressive ministers, led by someone Quebeckers have come to think of as remote and uncaring of their aspirations, driven by an agenda incubated somewhere else.

Indeed, the summer’s saddest (or funniest) political spectacle was Mr. Harper’s appearance in Quebec. Surrounded by imported ministers – some of them unilingual English-speakers – and his rather feeble Quebec contingent, Harper’s team organized a forlorn photo op in the middle of nowhere, really, and presented the entire fabricated affair as a relaunch of Conservative hopes and intentions in Quebec.

Thomas Mulcair and his NDP have become, therefore, federalism’s de facto spear carriers in Quebec, but this election might cause some of them to fall upon those spears. Should the PQ win, it plans to present Ottawa with a long list of intransigent demands for power, money and authority.

Some of these demands, designed to stir up antagonism toward Ottawa and make Quebeckers feel badly treated within Canada, will resonate positively with some NDP MPs from Quebec who, if not closet secessionists, are strongly nationalistic. Mr. Mulcair might then have to choose between bowing to his nationalists, thereby aligning himself with the PQ’s demands, or resisting those demands, as will be the preference outside Quebec, and causing friction in his caucus.

It might be argued that, given the feeble federal presence in the minds and hearts of Quebeckers, their stubborn resistance to the siren songs of secession is rather remarkable – although if secession did again become serious, the lack of credible federalist voices would be a serious problem.

Without embracing the country of which they remain an integral part, perhaps Quebeckers instinctively know the folly of leaving the G8’s most successful economy, with a political structure built to a degree on risk-sharing from which Quebec derives 15 per cent of its provincial budget, with no threat to the French language and culture coming from the rest of Canada.

The linguistic quarrels within Quebec during the last year or so – the coach of the Montreal Canadiens who could not speak French, the language of work at Bombardier, an anglophone heading up the provincial pension fund’s investment arm – were all inside-Quebec affairs rather than anything generated elsewhere.

The rest of Canada, for the most part, does not seem to menace or interest Quebeckers. Rather, it barely exists.

I believe that Jeffrey Simpson is about right: while the divide is nothing like as deep as when I was a child, we (Canadians and Quebecers) simply are uninterested in each other; Canada is willing to "pay the freight" for Quebec because we, instinctively, understand that separation will hurt us, badly, and Quebecers are willing to remain something less than maîtres chez eux because they understand, also instinctively, that they are much closer to being Greece, on their own, than being even Ontario.

I also believe that Simpson is in a minority in the media: he really wants something other than a PQ government. In my opinion most journalists are, mainly secretly, hoping for a PQ government because it would make news, it would create federal-provincial tensions and they, journalists, would have ready made stories for a few years. But, I'm betting that Prime Minister Harper will foil them, even if Mme. Marois does become premier. He will, mostly, just ignore her demands - you cannot have a one way argument, not for very long, anyway. On some demands, like "Quebec Citizenship" Stephen Harper may have to act. My personal preference would be for him to use the (essentially obsolete, maybe even unconstitutional) powers to disallow any such legislation, de facto saying: "F__k off, Mme. Marois; rude message follows! Take your stupid little law and shove it up your ample arse!" But, he will not do that; rather, if the act intrudes, even a wee tiny bit, into federal powers he will go to court - maybe directly to the Supremes but, possibly, to the Court of Appeal of Quebec, allowing the Chief Justice of Quebec t tell Mme. Marois and the Government of Quebec to stick to her/its (provincial) knitting.

In effect, I expect Prime Minister Harper to actually welcome a PQ regime. It will allow him to play Captain Canada and defend the Constitution against the Franco-vandals. It will, also, almost certainly embarrass Thomas Mulcair, for the reasons to which Simpson alludes, and, equally likely, the Liberal leader, too, because they, unlike Harper's Conservatives, need Quebec if they are to have any hope of forming a government.

(How many Quebec seats do Stephen Harper and the Conservatives need? In my opinion no less than three (Joe Clark managed to form a minority with only two seats back in 1979) but he need not compromise on Quebec nationalism issues in order to get any more than, say, 10.)

Tried and true strategy.  "Let's you and him fight."  (Harper, with respect to PQ and NDP.)

Back