• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Public Service leave with/without pay for trades training

chauch2001

Inactive
Reaction score
I am a primary reserve medic and have been course loaded on my TQ3's in June.  I had origionally asked for paid leave from my Public Service Employer which was given.  During conversations with my OR the MCpl determined that the TQ3 is defined under clause (vi) of the N.D.A., which is copied below. 

Does anyone have any further knowlege of this or have any experience in this type of leave?  I have converted my public leave to without pay but it is a big cut in pay so I want to make sure that it is the right decision.  Is it possible that the old JLC and SLC (not sure of the new names, been out to long) were the courses these clauses were meant for.  Has any one gotten paid leave for their course?

Thanks for your time.

Chris
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. Any person employed in the public service of Canada may be granted leave of absence

(a) during the period that, as a member of the Reserves, he is required to be absent from his civil position while

(i) taking annual training,

(ii) attending essential service parades,

(iii) on duty necessitated by the declaration of a disaster pursuant to section 34 of the Act,

(iv) on duty with his unit to combat a local emergency such as flood or fire when a disaster has not been declared,

(v) on duty or reserve training when called out or ordered for duty or training pursuant to section 33 of the Act,

(vi) taking a prescribed course for the purpose of qualifying for a higher rank;

(b) during the period that he is required to be absent from his civil position while serving as an officer or instructor in any of the authorized cadet organizations of Canada, for the purposes set forth in subparagraphs (a)(i), (ii) and (vi); and

(c) during the period that he is attending as a delegate meetings of service associations or the conference of Defence Associations.

4. (1) Subject to subsection (2), every person granted leave pursuant to subparagraph 3(a)(i), (ii), (iii) or (iv), or paragraph 3(b) or (c), shall be paid one rate of pay only, either civil pay or Canadian Forces pay and allowances appropriate to his military rank and status.

(2) Nothing herein contained shall preclude an employee from receiving Canadian Forces pay in addition to his civil pay for any period of service performed pursuant to these Regulations while he is on annual or vacation leave.

5. Leave to be granted pursuant to subparagraph 3(a)(v) or (vi) shall be subject to the approval of the deputy head of the department of government or the officer in charge of the branch of the public service in which the applicant for such leave is employed and, when granted, shall be without pay.

It looks like you made the correct decision in taking unpaid leave from the PS.  The Treasury Board really frowns on paying one person two salaries for the same day worked. 

You do not get paid twice a day when on Military Leave with Pay.  :'(  What does happen is that  you collect your "day time" wage 5 days a week and you will receive your reserve pay for the remaining 2. I have done this a few times and I will probably do it this summer for my 6B's.  ;D

I understand that I don't get paid twice for one days work.  It would be wrong to try.

My question has anyone ever been paid by the PS to go on a TQ course?  As of right now an admin clerk has designated this as it must be unpaid and I would like to know if the decision is the right one?

To quote myself "I have done this a few times and I will probably do it this summer for my 6B's". I went for a course and yearly training a few years ago, both were Leave with Pay.

as a former payclerk i have seen too many times to count.
you get your every day  government pay  monday to firday from 0001 hours monday to 2359 hours friday. at 0001 hours saturday  till 2359 sunday  you get your army pay what ever it works out to for your rank. you  will also get temp duty pay, and other allowances for everyday  depending on your course and what  you are allowed to claim.

check with your Orderly Room before you go on course and make sure when you check in the course they are aware you are on paid leave from your everyday  job.
it is not hard to see the everyday  job will pay  you better then the army  res pay rate for your rank

The answer is that I am entitled to draw my civil pay for the TQ'3.  Ottawa has returned my memo with an answer that your 3's are just your basic qualifycation course and does not prohibit me from taking civil pay under the NDA.  I have the email if anyone searches this later and needs it.

thanks for all the help.

Back