• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Promotions in the CAF [Merged]

Perhaps I'm misreading the CFAO, then.  Note 2 implies that the requirement was removed by an issued CANFORGEN, which I can't seem to access.  Unless note 3 is saying that the change was undone?

LoKe said:
Not to mention the CFAO 49-4 also states that you need your QL5a in order to be promoted to Corporal, which is not the case.

You need QL5 to become substantive. You can be promoted A/LQ without it.

LoKe said:
Perhaps I'm misreading the CFAO, then.  Note 2 implies that the requirement was removed by an issued CANFORGEN, which I can't seem to access.

I don't have access either, so I can't comment. I'll see what I can dig up. In the meantime, I think the CFAO still stands.

LoKe said:
This seems to jive with most of what I've seen.  However, I work with people at the 21EW Regt who meet all criteria and still haven't been given their hook, yet others with the same qualifications have.

I'm just trying to figure out what else is considered.

Some factors that affect it are: Chain of command filing the paperwork, your job performance to date, when the next promotion parade is. If you're due, you're due. You shouldn't have to, but a polite reminder to your det commander can get the paperwork done and the hook placed on your chest.

Yes, its an automatic promotion, but it can be delayed a few months as most see it as a sign you are now fully qualified and can be trusted to work at your job with little supervision.

The CANFORGEN referred to deals with physical fitness and universality of service.

PuckChaser said:
Some factors that affect it are: Chain of command filing the paperwork, your job performance to date, when the next promotion parade is. If you're due, you're due. You shouldn't have to, but a polite reminder to your det commander can get the paperwork done and the hook placed on your chest.

Yes, its an automatic promotion, but it can be delayed a few months as most see it as a sign you are now fully qualified and can be trusted to work at your job with little supervision.
Suppose that makes sense.  I just made the incorrect assumption that a given rank was a given rank.  I didn't realize there would be conditions attached.

Though it doesn't really apply to my situation.  I'm 30 months in without my QL3.  I don't really care to have my hook, as I realize I'm not qualified and it wouldn't make too much sense.  I just heard that I was entitled to it due to some CANFORGEN, but that is seemingly not the case.

Thanks everyone for the answers.  I guess this is resolved, unless someone cares to clarify on the CANFORGEN issue.
EDIT:
PMedMoe said:
The CANFORGEN referred to deals with physical fitness and universality of service.
I'm not really sure what this means.  Would you be willing to clarify?

LoKe said:
I'm not really sure what this means.  Would you be willing to clarify?

Just that for promotion (although, I don't think it applies to the first hook), one must have met:

THE MINIMUM OPERATIONAL STANDARDS RELATED TO UNIVERSALITY OF SERVICE AS SET OUT IN DAOD 5023-1 WHICH INCLUDES SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF THE APPLICABLE FITNESS STANDARD

Oh, ok.  I misread the CFAO anyway, and the CANFORGEN doesn't really apply to that promotion zone anyway.

Thanks!

A recurring theme for serving members asking questions on this site is because they are are not familiar with orders and regulations (a failure of the CoC and the individual) or because they see someone else getting something that they feel they are entitled to because they think they are exactly at the same status or level as that person.  With career progression, research orders and regulations and talk to your CoC even to the point of asking why someone else is getting something when you believe you are at the same level as them.  Your CoC should set you straight or get off their asses and take some action.  While we want to believe, that as leaders and supervisors, we have the straight dope on all of our subordinates and their career progression, sadly, we don't.  And sometimes it takes that subordinate to come to us and say "WTF Sir/Ma'am" for us to take the appropriate action.  Keep in mind, the response some parents give their children when they ask for something because some other kid has it, "If they were eating sh@t, would you want some too?"

ModlrMike said:
Why are we beating this subject to death?

The CFAO is still in force as it has not been superseded by a DAOD. To wit: 30 months AND QL3.

It can't be more plain than that.

No, it is not necessarily that plain.  Just because a CFAO has not been superceded by a DAOD does not mean it is up to date.  Many CFAOS which are still valid are wildly out of date and must be read in conjunction with a slough of CANFORGENS and other assorted messages and policy statements in order to be interpreted correctly (please note that I am speaking generically and not necessarily to this CFAO as I do not have the means to check it at the moment).  Policy interpretation can sometimes be a huge can of worms, so it is no small wonder that people get confused and policy gets applied unevenly.  I should also note that this is not a new problem.

With regard to the issue of this thread, it is a complex issue.  Some occupations seem to give out the hook upon completion of the appropriate course and time in.  Others require the completion of an OJT package (standards for which can vary from unit to unit).  Still others (some of the naval technical trades for example) require passing a Fleet Exam.  The bottom line is that it is not a consistent process and things vary between the different occupations.  Furthermore, because this promotion is upon the CO's authority, it can vary from unit to unit.

Pusser said:
No, it is not necessarily that plain.  Just because a CFAO has not been superceded by a DAOD does not mean it is up to date.  Many CFAOS which are still valid are wildly out of date and must be read in conjunction with a slough of CANFORGENS and other assorted messages and policy statements in order to be interpreted correctly (please note that I am speaking generically and not necessarily to this CFAO as I do not have the means to check it at the moment).  Policy interpretation can sometimes be a huge can of worms, so it is no small wonder that people get confused and policy gets applied unevenly.  I should also note that this is not a new problem.

With regard to the issue of this thread, it is a complex issue.  Some occupations seem to give out the hook upon completion of the appropriate course and time in.  Others require the completion of an OJT package (standards for which can vary from unit to unit).  Still others (some of the naval technical trades for example) require passing a Fleet Exam.  The bottom line is that it is not a consistent process and things vary between the different occupations.  Furthermore, because this promotion is upon the CO's authority, it can vary from unit to unit.

I admit I thought that very thing right after my last post. I probably should have either deleted or modified it for clarity. I guess the most telling part of all of this is that it's up to the CO, so a high degree of variability is to be expected.

I was basing my comments from the perspective of my branch alone, and not considering the bigger picture.

I stand corrected.  :)

Yes, I searched, couldnt find the info I was curious about.

So, I am pretty sure I am going to try to join soon, and my dream job is as a Reg Forces Musician, yet its not the easiest to get into (not to mention next auditon period is next september), so while I am going to try for that eventually for sure, I've been looking into other trades which interest me, and there are afew that do, which I might try to do for afew years before, just for the experience, then try for Musician after my first contract is done in 5 years or so..

But something I was told by someone whos in the reg forces right now, is that an idea that might be best, especially in my situation where I eventually want to either OT or wait out my first contract, is to join the reserves first, spend a year or so to become a Cpl, then to join the reg forces.

He was saying that in the Reg Forces, it can take 3-4+ years to become a Cpl, while in the Reserves it is significantly shorter, like 1 year (assuming your CO recommends you).. Is this true??

I dunno if I'll do that, cause my city doesnt have much for reserves anyways (that im interested in) and I think I would rather be fulltime from the start, but Its an option I'll look into if thats the case, which might help if I did switch and be a Cpl sooner than if I join Reg forces from the start..

Any insight?

If I'm correct, a reservist may get promoted to Cpl after 2 or more years of service. And no, once you're a Cpl in the reserves, you may not still be a Cpl if you transfer to the regular force. I don't recall the "time-in" requirements to keep your rank, but after 2 years as a reservist Cpl, you won't be a Cpl in the regular force.

Like really, you train one night a week, one weekend a month and may get promoted more quickly, and you are suggesting that it compares to the promotions of the regular force?

There are quite a few factors involved here, so there is no "Simple Answer".

In the Reserves you may have a shorter time requirement to become a Cpl, but you will still have to meet the requirements of being "Trade Qualified".  If you are a Reserve Cpl, and qualified in a Trade that has Regular Force standards on your Trades courses, and you have a Deployment under your belt, you MAY retain your rank on a Component Transfer to the Regular Force, if you are not doing an Occupational Transfer (changing Trades) as well.  If you think you can do all this in less than two years, you would likely find that you are wrong in that assumption.

Its pretty difficult to figure out rank retention. I just had a member posted into my unit who got his MCpls just before he transferred to the RegF, and he retained it. No tour, not even as a Cpl. It may very well depend on the career manager for the trade you're transferring into, and how packed full of experience your MPRR is.

Nauticus said:
If I'm correct, a reservist may get promoted to Cpl after 2 or more years of service. And no, once you're a Cpl in the reserves, you may not still be a Cpl if you transfer to the regular force. I don't recall the "time-in" requirements to keep your rank, but after 2 years as a reservist Cpl, you won't be a Cpl in the regular force.

According to my superiors, this is incorrect. If you are trade qualified to QL5A, have your two years' seniority, and you are not doing an OT as well, there should be no rank relinquishment upon doing a CT to Reg F.

Like really, you train one night a week, one weekend a month and may get promoted more quickly, and you are suggesting that it compares to the promotions of the regular force?

Like really, you do know that not all reservists are one-night-a-week soldiers? Some of us actually work 40 hrs a week in the PRes. A lot of us, as a matter of fact.

If you look up the promotions guidelines, you will see that the rate for being promoted is the same for all ranks other than Private to Corporal (shorter in the Reserves) and MWO to CWO (longer in the Reserves).

Celticgirl said:
Like really, you do know that not all reservists are one-night-a-week soldiers? Some of us actually work 40 hrs a week in the PRes. A lot of us, as a matter of fact.

Notwithstanding the fact that we dont realy have an air reserve ( since we seem to employ the vast majority full-time), the army reserves is much larger and its part-time staff dwarfs the air reserve.

40 hours a week eh ? whats it like having that much free time ?  ;D

CDN Aviator said:
Notwithstanding the fact that we dont realy have an air reserve ( since we seem to employ the vast majority full-time), the army reserves is much larger and its part-time staff dwarfs the air reserve.

40 hours a week eh ? whats it like having that much free time ?  ;D

Yes, but that's 40 hours plus a second job I do two evenings a week plus volunteering with my daughter's Girl Guide troop...it sure feels like a full dance card to me.  :blotto:

By the way, I am less familiar with the promotion policy (i.e. if it differs) for Army because I know that the training is different (not Reg F trg like the Air Res does). Does that affect them upon CT? I could see where it might, actually, but I don't recall ever seeing that in the pubs I have studied.

Cdn Aviator, you know everything...riddle me that.  ;D

No body can say for sure whether you will retain your rank with a CT. When I did I had 4 years as a Reserve. 2 1/2 full time and several deployments with the RegF. I lost it all and went in as an OD with QL3 and one year towards seniority. Today it all depends on what the Occupation Manager decides you will be offered. I don't know what the criteria are for each individual trade but I'm sure it will all depend on your training, time in and of course the most important thing, "needs of the service"!!

Back