• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Professional Engineer

chk2fung

Inactive
Reaction score
As an Engineers officer, how does the experience aquired from the army contribute to receiveing your P.Eng designation. Does military engineering experience count towards the 4 yr intern period before yo u can apply for your P.Eng designation?

As a supplementary question to the above, what duties are you limited to as an junior Engineers officer that has not had enough time yet to aquire his P.Eng designation?

Really good question.

Although I cannot answer for 100% certain, I would think that military engineering experience would count towards your P.Eng, but that would have to be verified by the provincial body (in your case, I imagine the PEO)..

But I can‘t see why the experience gained wouldn‘t be transferrable towards professional designation...

I may have to e-mail APEGGA about this.. hmm...

As far as I know, each province has their own regulations on becoming a Peng. I know that in Ontario, one must be working under a fellow Peng (for either four or five years) in order for one‘s time to be considered as engineering experience. I‘ve often wondered the same thing myself. Really I think it must depend on whether the superior officers in your engineering unit are Peng‘s.

Further to the question of P.Eng. qualifications, what is the common practice for wearing one‘s Iron Ring while an engineering officer (EME particularly)?

I‘ve seen Jimmy Officers wear them so unless the EME Branch dress regs state differently I couldn‘t see why not.

Thanx for all the answers, I guess in that case, are any of you Engineering officers in Ontario? adn if so how does your military expereince relate to PEO requirements. In our civil engineering program we were learning the PEO regulations and they mentioned military service, but did not really go in depth.

I know of a few who used military experience toward PEng certification. It is not required in the forces, but apparently may earn you points on a PER. As was stated, each province is different. You should try asking the PEO.

The Iron Ring is worn by those who have earned it.

Glad to hear about the Iron Ring, I can‘t imagine keeping mine locked away after the hard work that went into it. Then again, perhaps IAP/BOTP/CAP will make me wish I was back in the classroom for another four years!

The PEng licensing is still some ways off for me, I‘m just worried about my EME application (DEO) for now.

Good luck on the EME..

I am also relieved about the iron ring. It is the only other thing I wear on my hands, besides my wedding ring, and I figure the only way it is coming off permanently is when I die.

Although the PEng designation is a ways off... you may want to think about registering yourself with PEO (you are in Ontario, right) as an EIT (or MIT, or whatever the -in training is)..

I don‘t know what it‘s like in Ontario, but in Alberta, I am going to register myself as an MIT ASAP... then it is less paperwork in the long run...

I‘m registered with PEO and OSPE (Ontario Society of Professional Engineers) as a Student Member for this year, but that will expire at the end of June, I believe.

Is the EIT a sort of "associate" membership similar to that of the "Student Membership" in that it allows for membership within the organization but not the accreditation by the licensing board?

I‘m registered as a student membership with the PEO, but all that really gives me is a monthly magazine and a membership card. Since I‘m not paying for the membership I don‘t get much of teh benefits. However There are alwasy articles pertaining to teh Forces in the magazine. I‘ll definitely ask the recruiter about that, or maybe the specific unit about working towards a P.Eng.

hsndrake...

(At least with APEGGA and APEGS) the EIT (and MIT) designation is for those engineers who are registered within the provincial body (APEGGA, APEGS, etc.) and who are not yet P.Eng. It basically states that as an Engineer in training, you are a member of the provincial body and you are working towards your P.Eng. designation...

I am not totally familiar with how it goes in Ontario... so my info may be off-base for you

chk2f, the OSPE student membership programme offers some pretty decent benefits (I know what you mean about the PEO one) including special deals on everything from laptops to cell phones. OSPE also hosts a number of networking events that are supposedly good, though I never made it out to them, myself.

Tyrnagog, I think the PEO is coming in (one last time) next week to speak about the specifics of the PEng. and so hopefully they‘ll touch on the EIT (or equivalent) programme for junior engineers.

If I get a chance I‘ll speak to the presenter and see what information, if any, they have on fulfilling PEng requirements while in the Forces.

That‘s awesome hsndrake. I still ahve a few years before I even graduate from school but whatever information you can get about the P.Eng. would be greatly appreciated. Not much time as a first year student to go hunting around looking for all this stuff

chk2f...

You think you don‘t have time now as a first year, hey... :)

What disciplines are you looking at?

Hang on to those rings;
My dad lost his in the Bilge when he was the engineering officer on the HMCS Iriquos, he‘s still mad about that to this day.

about 10 years after it happened;
To be truthful, he and my mother have had the same argument for the past 15 years about where he lost it, he claims he lost it in the bilge when he was overseeing some major repairs. Whereas my mother says he had a habit of taking it off and putting it back on impusivly and he probably lost it at some bar in Europe (Bloody sailors going from port to port..)

Anyways, yes, he did get it replaced eventually.
What is the significance of the iron ring again?

Hey trynanog, that is rather disconcerting. I bet all you upper year guys and engineers are laughing at us. It seems forever away. well I‘m in civil engineering, and I‘m really interested in structures but then isn‘t everyone. I like materials and we got some lectures from transportation profs which make it sound very interesting. What are you in? I do intend to join the reg force when I graduate, so what would be advantageous courses to take at school. I‘m really hoping to get profecient enough at french to skip SLT, because I‘ve seen enough of St. Jean and the MEGA. If I ever get the ring, I‘m gonna lose the pinky its on before i lose the ring!! It is like a $60 000 ring.

Back