• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Primary Leadership Qualification Course (PLQ) Mega thread

Hi,

I am a reservist for the Royal Montreal Regiment in Quebec, and about to complete my DP1 (Inf). I was sworn in on June 4th, 2004. From what I understand, I will therefore be a Cpl next summer (it will have been two years), although I will have to wait to the next promotion parade at my regiment for my extra chevron (May 2007) because I will miss the 2 year mark by a couple of weeks for the 2006 parade.

I've been told that in Quebec right now there's a major shortage of MCpls and that therefore it's not that hard to get on the PLQ course, because there's a lack of instructors that needs to be addressed. So, do you think somehow I could begin my PLQ next summer? If so, do I need to complete the IPSWQ course before I can begin the PLQ modules? Assuming the IPSWQ is available on weekends in Winter, can I do the course as a Pte?

Assuming that the answers to the previous questions are all in my favor, what steps should I take at my unit to enhance my chances of becoming a 3 or 4 year MCpl?

Thanks!

You can do ISPSQ as a pte and must have it prior to starting your PLQ.  Although I'm sure they could waiver it as long as you got it before starting mod 6.  I really don't see it happening though.

I would really not worry about promotions and concentrate on mastering your soldier skills, build up a good experience base,and just generally work hard.  Doing that will show your potential to your superiors and they will recommend you for further leadership training. 

A good deal of the chances of promotion will depend upon the manning in your unit (i.e. Do they need more MCpl and do they have the positions?).

As far as the courses required for promotion to MCpl:

IPSW - there is no rank prerequisite, therefore yes you can do it as a Pte (and many people do).  It is required before going on the PLQ (Inf), but it is not required to do Mods 1-5.

PLQ (Inf) - Pte's can do Mods 1-4.  You must be a Cpl for Mod 5 and PLQ (Inf) (or Mod 6 for the non-infanteers).  Before someone chimes in with "But i knew this Pte..........", that is what the QS and TP stipulate.  I know the odd Pte has attended in the past, but it is rare and it requires a waiver.  Waivers are unlikely to be granted to a reservist due to the time required for promotion to Cpl (2 yrs as opposed to 4 yrs for Reg F).  Finally, DAT has specifically said they don't want any more infanteers going on PLQ (Inf) and they have the final word.

The best way to help your chances of promotion will be to complete the courses and do well (at least top third).  You must also show a high level of performance during your unit training.  This also means having good attendence as that is how you will build your experience.  Volunteer or step in when there is something to be done and use the opportunities to demonstrate your leadership potential (without being a brown noser or interfeering with what your sect comd is doing).  Good luck.

MJP said:
You can do ISPSQ as a pte and must have it prior to starting your PLQ.  Although I'm sure they could waiver it as long as you got it before starting mod 6.  I really don't see it happening though.

I would really not worry about promotions and concentrate on mastering your soldier skills, build up a good experience base,and just generally work hard.  Doing that will show your potential to your superiors and they will recommend you for further leadership training. 
Thanks for the quick/frank answer :)

What's the best way to build up experience in the res? From what I understand, other than the exercises on wkns, summer's only real experience builder is milcon. Should I do 4 months of guards next summer? How hard is it to be accepted for a tasking in Ottawa (or preferably Quebec) in the guards? Or is it a better choice to ask to be tasked as enemy force at a base?

Standards said:
A good deal of the chances of promotion will depend upon the manning in your unit (i.e. Do they need more MCpl and do they have the positions?).

As far as the courses required for promotion to MCpl:

IPSW - there is no rank prerequisite, therefore yes you can do it as a Pte (and many people do).  It is required before going on the PLQ (Inf), but it is not required to do Mods 1-5.

PLQ (Inf) - Pte's can do Mods 1-4.  You must be a Cpl for Mod 5 and PLQ (Inf) (or Mod 6 for the non-infanteers).  Before someone chimes in with "But i knew this Pte..........", that is what the QS and TP stipulate.  I know the odd Pte has attended in the past, but it is rare and it requires a waiver.  Waivers are unlikely to be granted to a reservist due to the time required for promotion to Cpl (2 yrs as opposed to 4 yrs for Reg F).  Finally, DAT has specifically said they don't want any more infanteers going on PLQ (Inf) and they have the final word.

The best way to help your chances of promotion will be to complete the courses and do well (at least top third).  You must also show a high level of performance during your unit training.  This also means having good attendence as that is how you will build your experience.  Volunteer or step in when there is something to be done and use the opportunities to demonstrate your leadership potential (without being a brown noser or interfeering with what your sect comd is doing).  Good luck.
Wow! :) Thanks for the awesome information. One last lil' thing: do you know if the IPSW is given on weekends in Quebec or is it strictly given during the summer?

Standards said:
PLQ (Inf) - Pte's can do Mods 1-4.  

Excellent I'm glad they dropped the requirement of Cpl for mods 1-4.  We argued unsuccessfuly to send Ptes when the new PLQ system came out, as we've always sent Ptes that have shown good leadership potential on ISCC and JLC/JNCO. 

Naralis

I don't know if it's feasiable for you, but when I was a young reservist I volunteered to go on Ex's with the Reg Force.  I learned more in those 8 weeks then, than I did in a year of weekends with my unit.  It's probably not an option for you but if it does pop up take advantage of it.  Other than that, do as Standards mention step up to the plate(w/o being a brownnoser) and show your superiors your potential through your determination and hard work.

My unit recently sent a letter out to everyone advising that they want as many people as possible to jump onto PLQ ASAP this next training phase. They specifically stated in the letter that they will be taking rather new members to the Forces because we have such a severe lack of junior NCO's and Section Cmdrs... We have Cpl's as Section Cmdr's even! They stated that they'll take the best first, but only by availibility. So, they said they'll even take inexperienced soldiers with the hope that any soldier can eventually become a good leader... Not so sure about that, but hey...

So with what I've been reading on here, I suppose I should jump on this once-in-a-blue-moon chance and go straight for my unit's balls and get the PLQ? I'm currently starting BIQ on MONDAY though, so I'd be a SUPER new person...

Thoughts? Suggestions on streaming up to MCpl...

Don't get ahead of yourself Joe... you still have a long way to go.

Suggestions? Keep a positive attitude and do as your told, and you'll be good to go.

Out of curiosity.  I found this and was very interested in what everyones opinion is.

Canlandgen 007/05

Subj:  PLQ (L) SUP - Authority to load Ptes

Currently the army is experiencing  MCpl Shortfalls in certain MOCs specifically with certain Regts of the Inf, with the impact of transformation and force expansion, it is possible that other MOCs will also experience difficulty in producing sufficient JR Ldrs.
With the introduction of current generation of army junior leadership courses, PLQ (L) and PLG (inf), a restriction on loading of Ptes on Mod 5 and 6 was enacted IAW with A-PD002 PLQ/PC-H12 Dated 11 Jan 04.
( I don't have that ref. So I can not elaborate on its contents) and Canlandgen 023/03.
This policy has also had the effect of delaying the completion of leadership training to the members fifth year of svc as a min, with the future growth demands, it is assess that the min of five years would limit the army.
DLPM has confirmed that the provisions of DAPS remain in effect but this option promoting selected Ptes/Cpls to Mcpls has lapsed as a result of the restrictions of not being able to load Ptes on JR Leaderships Courses.

The following are the DAPS criteria:
Applies to Arty, Armd, Inf, Cbt Engr, Lineman and Rad Op Trades
The MOCs current merit list must be exhausted
Pte to MCpl - Min of 3 years in SVC and Less than 4 years and PLQ qualified
Cpl- Mcpl - Min 1 year in Rank but less than 2 and PLQ qualified

In response to a request from the army, CDA has granted the authority to wave the rank pre-requisites for loading personnel on army junior leadership courses.  This authorization will remain in effect until 30 Jun 2007.

IAW guidelines at ref E (Adm (hr-mil) instr 01/04 dated 11 Jan 04 (again no ref), unit COs of DAPS eligible MOCs are auth to select Ptes with strong leadership potential to attend and complete MODS 5 and 6 of PLQ (L) and PLQ (Inf) courses.

Must satisfy following criteria:
recommended by CO
eligible for DAPS promotion iaw CFAO 49-4 annex b
satisfy all crse pre-reqs incl IPSW Crse for inf candidates
must have completed MODS 1-4 of PLQ (L) and
Must have served min of 24 months SVC
The criteria apply equally to Reg and Res soldiers.  By virtue reserve time in rank promotion criteria, reserve solders will be Cpls when they are eligible to commence Mod 5 and Mod 6 PLQ Trg. Reserve Cpls who are PLQ (L) qual are eligible for DAPS from Cpl to Mcpl after one year in rank.

That is more or less word for word.

To open the discussion
Do members that have been in for 2 years, leadership qualities aside, have the military experience to be placed in a leadership role?

When the military was talking of force expansion did they know this was going to be a problem?  If so was anything done before to try and prevent it?

Would there have been a shortage of leadership if more was done to toughen up troops as opposed to lowering standards to get more people enlisted and to keep in those that should not be in uniform?

armywoman said:
Do members that have been in for 2 years, leadership qualities aside, have the military experience to be placed in a leadership role?
sure. Why not? We know we have a high mortality rate in battle, and that anyone could be the Pl Comd after a fire-fight. That's why we push the idea of leadership and initiative down to the lowest level.
What sort of military experience does one really need to become a leader? One either is, or one is not. Courses simply provide knowledge, but natural leaders exist everywhere. One could argue that more experience simply means more stuck-in-a-rut thinking. You need fresh blood once in a while.

When the military was talking of force expansion did they know this was going to be a problem?
I'm going to guess "probably not." The knowledge gap created by the exodus of our more experienced NCOs seemed to have caught the entire CoC off-guard, despite the constant and loud rumblings.

If so was anything done before to try and prevent it?
I'm going to guess "probably not." Since they didn't fore-see our best and brightest departing in droves, they probably didn't plan for it.

Would there have been a shortage of leadership if more was done to toughen up troops as opposed to lowering standards to get more people enlisted and to keep in those that should not be in uniform?
We'd have maintained more of our leadership, but wouldn't have nearly the numbers of troops we have now. So, are we ahead, or behind?

I had a friend approach me today to ask if I knew what grade level of reading would be required for a member to attend PLQ Common. I informed him that I really didn't know as I have not seen a PLQ Common course in quite some time, but like a good NCO I told him that I would get back to him. If anyone, who has recent experience with the PLQ Common course, has any information in regards to what level of reading is required, please PM me.
Also this member apparently is only at a grade 6 or 7 level. Thanks

Although I don't know the exact reading level required, I know that when I took the course, there were people of every education level there; from university post-graduates to high school dropouts. Many of the reading assignments were long and boring, but I don't think any of them were particularly difficult. The only challenge in reading them seemed to come from those people who read at a slower pace.

I know some of the PLQ reading assignments/packages were on the ctc.gagetown.mil.ca site (Infantry School - Courses - PLQ), and probably still are, so maybe if you can get a hold of those through the DIN, it will give you a better idea of the level required.

Just wondering if anyone here knows what the deal is with mod 6 part 1 & 2. I've had reg guys tell me they only do small party taskings (part1), and res do both part 1 & 2. The standards WO in my unit tells me that both reg and res do both part 1 & 2 and that that goes for anyone in the land environment. Does anyone know what is true?

All Army Reservists do PLQ (Land); Regular Force members will do either CF PLQ or PLQ(Land) depending on their trade.

Unless DAT has changed things again.

And again.

And again...

Just saw this one...actually reg force EME trades do small party taskings and that is all.  Makes one wonder why the discrepancy between the reg/reserve.  Too bad the units won't pay to send troops to regimental in Borden instead of part 2.

Mod 6 is a weird course. Mod 6 has to be done by all in the land force, but there is a diference in Mod 6. Reg and Res do it, but the difference is part 1 is by all trades, part 2 is Hard asses for Infantry. Part one, has most of the common stuff in it, Small Party taskings, part 2 goes more indepth with hard testing on Patrolling and section attacks, and includes other stuff like calling in Arty fire. I did Mod 6 last summer in Pet, then transfered to the Reg EME.

Hi George,

Can you tell me where I can find the CANFORGEN or other documentation on that?  Guys I work with have been told by their career manager that the choice of whether the member will complete part 1 or both parts of Mod 6 is controlled by the branch.  As of 11 Dec of this year EME trades were still only required to complete part 1 of Mod 6:  small party taskings.  I know one member has specifically asked to complete part 2 and has been refused as it's not required and they won't pay for him to complete it.  This whole discrepancy is definitely a conundrum and confusing to most.  I follow it because it interests me to see when the whole thing will be sorted out, if ever.  :)

Back