• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Prepping your Employer for those Summer Sessions

Meridian

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, me again.

Im looking for some personal stories/anecdotes/suggestions/encouragement as to how to go about prepping an employer (ie asking for) time off in the summer on LWOP to attend whatever summer training you require (PRes)

Ill be heading down after the holidays to sort out applications and all that, and expect at least a few months or so of waiting for the military, but I work for a large consulting firm and I am on a fixed-term, long-term contract/project, so while we are dead inthe summer, it may take some convincing... :)

Any suggestions are appreciated!

The people at Canadian Forces Liasion Council should be able to help.  They can talk to your employer for you, write letters, try and convince your employer, etc.

Their number is 1-800-567-9908.  Their website is http://www.cflc.forces.gc.ca/general/intro_e.asp

Good luck.

Meridian,

I recently went through this whole worrying ordeal of asking my civilian employer for time off.  It was no fun, let me tell you but it turned out much better than I expected.  I think the following points helped me personally:

Talk to your employer when they're in a good mood.  :)  Sounds like common sense, but do make sure they're not stressed by something else before you jump on them for months off.  Try to consider when would be the best time of year to ask for time off (I realize you already have).  I know that certain courses are only offered at certain times but try to be realistic as to when the employer can more easily accomodate your request.  In my personal case the summer is the best time as my employer can look for students in the industry to fill in for me as they're off and looking for work also.  I also offered to work for free for the week prior to me leaving to train the new staff member without any financial burden on my employer.  As luck would have it, I own a bed & breakfast so the new staff member could be offered free accomodations if they're from away to help attract a good student who might not have the financial means to stay nearby.  This is obviously not necessary as you or a relative could offer to host someone for that time as well.  You might also have someone in mind that could replace you in the short term.  Talk to them and have this little nugget available when you speak to your employer.  If they have found you've done all the thinking for them most will be relieved and more open to discussion.  :)

I guess that's it.  My talk went well with my employer and there were many things I had thought of that I didn't need to bring up as he was so understanding about it; and I had made myself sick for days worrying about it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Im only worried because my project manager is actually a quality person and I doubt would have any issues; but the corporate upstream is a little less flexible.

Our volume goes way down during the summer.... but it would still mean others wouldnt be able to take vacation (I work an IT support desk).

Anyway, I guess the best thing is to be prepared with options for the employer - good call!

Back