• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Posting Policy-Restricted (IR) & Prohibited moves [MERGED]

ryanski said:
I cannot remember the acronym.
I suspect it is OFP, which means operational functional point ... or, the point at which you can start to do your job.

Read CANFORGEN 184/12 it has pretty much all the info.  In that CANFORGEN or one of the refs in that CANFORGEN, says QL3s on their first posting are NOT entitled to IR. But this isn't your first posting.

I dont have any references for you other than my own personal experiences.

But on my QL3/QL5, two of my course mates both were receiving IR while on course for different reasons. I don't know the specifics, but they both had IR for around 6 months. One was AVOTP, the other was a component transfer from the reserves.

MCG said:
I suspect it is OFP, which means operational functional point ... or, the point at which you can start to do your job.

Add-on point.  Check your occ specs for your trade OFP.  Not all are the same.  My current trade OFP is QL5. My previous trade was QL3.

Good day,

I`m looking for some administrative advice since I`m not getting any clear answers from work and I have no access to dwan at the moment so unable to ref. CANFORGEN`s and whatnot.

What I`m trying to find out is whether I am eligible for IR or not.

Here's my sit:

CT'ed to regF 05 OCT 13 from resF
prohibited posted to Borden BTL
QL3 finished, COS date 09 SEP 14
Posted to bagotville 10 SEP 14

Here's the refs I was told to look into;

CANFORGEN 184/12 7D
CANFORGEN 184/12 CMP 078/12 101509Z OCT 12
http://cmp-cpm.forces.mil.ca/dgmc/mc-cm/posting-affectation/docs/ir-faq-ri-fra.asp#q7

Any help would be great,

Thanks,

After researching my own situation I found this.  Hope it helps.

REFs:

http://cmp-cpm.forces.mil.ca/dgmc/mc-cm/posting-affectation/docs/ir-faq-ri-eng.asp
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits-relocation/2014-directive-ch11.page
CANFORGEN 145/12 CMP 063/12 301435Z JUL 12
Benefits IAW CBI 208.997

"Q9: I have just reached OFP. Am I eligible for IR status and/or SE benefits?
No, even though you have reached your OFP, you must complete one posting after you have reached OFP. OFP is only one of the criteria that must be reached to be granted IR status."

"Q16: I have just completed an OT and I have not reached OFP in my current occupation. Am I eligible for IR status?
The IR policy was never generated to penalize Regular force members who have reached their OFP, have completed at least one posting and are improving themselves. Therefore, Regular Force members who have VOT'd to a new occupation or commissioning through the UTPNCM, SCP programs, etc., who have reached their OFP in their previous occupation and completed at least one posting in that occupation, but have not reached the OFP in their current occupation, are still eligible for IR status. The member however, must still meet all the other criteria in order to receive SE benefits."

"Q15: I am not eligible for IR status. Is there something else I maybe eligible for?
If you are posted an are not eligible for IR status, you maybe eligible for "Unaccompanied Move" benefits. Refer to the Canadian Forces Integrated Relocation Program Directive, APS 2009, A-PP-005IR-AG-001 and contact DCBA."

SE, IR and unaccompanied move benefits are all different and being eligible for one does not entitle you to the other.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Could anyone please tell me what exactly does getting posted restricted (if married) or authorised (if single) mean in terms of moving circumstances?

Thanks

Messerschmitt said:
Could anyone please tell me what exactly does getting posted restricted (if married) or authorised (if single) mean in terms of moving circumstances?

Thanks

95% of normal postings after reaching OFP in the CF will start out as "Restricted" for both Married and Single people.  Restricted means that the movement of your DHG&E is not authorized until such a time as you secure permanent accommodations at the gaining unit.  Once you have secured suitable accommodations, then the "restriction" can be lifted and the relocation status changes to "Authorized".

IRP Policy Manual - Sect 1.4 (Definitions)  http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits-relocation/2014-directive-amend-ch-1.page#sec-01-04

Restricted Move
A move to a place of duty to which the Department considers it desirable, or in the public interest, to restrict the move of dependants or Household Goods and Effects or both, until suitable accommodation becomes available.

Apologize for the necro post,

Looks like I will be going to Halifax on IR this summer for a year or two; I have found the rates for lodgings in CBI 208.997 ($1450/mo for Halifax), and the parking spot at $100/mo, and starting to look for a spot.

So far, looks like there are some spots in the Bedford area with everything all in for the IR rate, and maybe some with partial furnishing/utilities as well.  There are also lots of good unfurnished apartments at reasonable rates with heat/water included and options for renting furniture.

One thing I'm not really clear on, is if the apartment itself doesn't have an 'all in' rate, and I can get the apartment, furniture and any extra utilities separately at or under the ceiling, would it be covered provided I gave the separate receipts for the individual items?  For instance, if I found an unfurnished apt for $1000/month with heat/water incl, then had receipts for power, furniture rental etc, would that still be covered?

Seems reasonable, and that it might actually save the taxpayer some money, so I suspect it won't be feasible.  Anyone have experience with this or know where I might find the reference on it?

Thanks
Pete

Navy_Pete said:
Apologize for the necro post,

Looks like I will be going to Halifax on IR this summer for a year or two; I have found the rates for lodgings in CBI 208.997 ($1450/mo for Halifax), and the parking spot at $100/mo, and starting to look for a spot.

So far, looks like there are some spots in the Bedford area with everything all in for the IR rate, and maybe some with partial furnishing/utilities as well.  There are also lots of good unfurnished apartments at reasonable rates with heat/water included and options for renting furniture.

One thing I'm not really clear on, is if the apartment itself doesn't have an 'all in' rate, and I can get the apartment, furniture and any extra utilities separately at or under the ceiling, would it be covered provided I gave the separate receipts for the individual items?  For instance, if I found an unfurnished apt for $1000/month with heat/water incl, then had receipts for power, furniture rental etc, would that still be covered?

Seems reasonable, and that it might actually save the taxpayer some money, so I suspect it won't be feasible.  Anyone have experience with this or know where I might find the reference on it?

Thanks
Pete

Yes, those items would be covered up to the maximum rate.  If you need help, PM me.  I might have some "tips" for you.    ;)

I'm heading home this summer after a couple of years on IR here in Victoria. I have bought some furniture (bed, couch and chair and a couple of side tables) will I be able to bring those items home with me? Or will I have to pay extra?
Cheers

FSTO said:
I'm heading home this summer after a couple of years on IR here in Victoria. I have bought some furniture (bed, couch and chair and a couple of side tables) will I be able to bring those items home with me? Or will I have to pay extra?
Cheers

When you are returning from an IR posting and you are posted back to your original location you are entitled to drive/ship a vehicle and also to ship 500 pounds of UAB. Para 3.4.06 of the IRP directive covers this as a core benefit.

500 pounds doesn't go very far. If you have a literal ton of stuff then you can load up your pickup truck Beverley Hillbillies style for your grand cross Canada driving adventure.

DAA said:
Yes, those items would be covered up to the maximum rate.  If you need help, PM me.  I might have some "tips" for you.    ;)

Thanks DAA; have my initial meeting next week, so may have more questions then.

So does that actually mean common sense prevails here?  Will wonders never cease! ;D

Hello,

At my recruiting center single members who are house owners were told to bring their proof of mortgage to St-Jean to get exempted of paying the quarters. At St-Jean my instructors told me that I should rent my house and that is not the army's problem. I then ask if I can store my personal effect at crown expense to rent my house while on BMQ and course qualification and they told me that this is only for member's who were renting and not owning property. I've search on this forum and found in old threats other people who were in the same situation and didn’t pay quarters but nobody quoted an actual policy. Can someone help me with that? I can’t find the policy anywhere.

Thanks in advance for your help!

You have a choice, one option or the other. Not both.

1.  Provide proof of mortgage and you will have free quarters at BMQ.

2.  Choose to move your belongings into storage at your own expense and
reap the benefits (and responsibilities) of renting your house out.

Yes. People joining the CAF who rent (do not own property) have the option of their
belongings being put into storage.

The reason you do not have this as an option, is you own your home. Why should taxpayers
offer you free storage and free accommodations, while you earn extra profit renting out your home?

Double-dipping comes to mind.

**Edit: Harris is right. I missed the poor advice your staff  is advising you. Ask to speak with a SISIP Financial Advisor, you are paying into it.

kratz said:
You have a choice, one option or the other. Not both.

1.  Provide proof of mortgage and you will have free quarters at BMQ.

2.  Choose to move your belongings into storage at your own expense and
reap the benefits (and responsibilities) of renting your house out.

Yes. People joining the CAF who rent (do not own property) have the option of their
belongings being put into storage.

The reason you do not have this as an option, is you own your home. Why should taxpayers
offer you free storage and free accommodations, while you earn extra profit renting out your home?

Double-dipping comes to mind.

Thank you for the answer! Like you said I don't want both but one or the other. Do you know the policy? I can't find it anywhere...

I love hearing how NCOs at CFLRS are still saying stupid shit.  ::)

As you are now on BMQ, and don't have time to set up rental stuff, I suggest you submit your request to be exempt paying quarters.

toule said:
Hello,

At my recruiting center single members who are house owners were told to bring their proof of mortgage to St-Jean to get exempted of paying the quarters. At St-Jean my instructors told me that I should rent my house and that is not the army's problem. I then ask if I can store my personal effect at crown expense to rent my house while on BMQ and course qualification and they told me that this is only for member's who were renting and not owning property. I've search on this forum and found in old threats other people who were in the same situation and didn’t pay quarters but nobody quoted an actual policy. Can someone help me with that? I can’t find the policy anywhere.

Let me help you out and pay very close attention.

Once you have completed both BMQ and your Basic Occupational Training (ie; DP1 or QL3) and are posted for "first time employment", this is what applies to you

Move from Place of Enrolment  --->  http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits-relocation/2014-directive-ch11.page#sec-11-01

Once you have been authorized a relocation under the CFIRP and should you want to "sell" your home at that time, then this is what applies

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits-relocation/2014-directive-ch8.page#art-08-02-02

If at the time of sale and if your home has been "rented" and has NOT remained "vacant", then your home would be considered to be an "income property and will be subject to 8.1.06  http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits-relocation/2014-directive-ch8.page#art-08-01-06

Simply put, if you choose to RENT your home and when the time comes for you to be relocated at public expense, you WILL NOT be entitled to ANY benefits associated with selling that home!!!

DAA said:
Let me help you out and pay very close attention.

Once you have completed both BMQ and your Basic Occupational Training (ie; DP1 or QL3) and are posted for "first time employment", this is what applies to you

Move from Place of Enrolment  --->  http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits-relocation/2014-directive-ch11.page#sec-11-01

Once you have been authorized a relocation under the CFIRP and should you want to "sell" your home at that time, then this is what applies

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits-relocation/2014-directive-ch8.page#art-08-02-02

If at the time of sale and if your home has been "rented" and has NOT remained "vacant", then your home would be considered to be an "income property and will be subject to 8.1.06  http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits-relocation/2014-directive-ch8.page#art-08-01-06

Simply put, if you choose to RENT your home and when the time comes for you to be relocated at public expense, you WILL NOT be entitled to ANY benefits associated with selling that home!!!

I actually don't want to rent since I'll be back home in 6 months (or sell it to move for a new city), but it's quite bad that the army is forcing me to pay for my house + quarters since they can't tell me where I'll work.

I paid close attention at what you said and looked everywhere but couldn't find anything for the time when I'm at BMQ and QL3.

The orderly room clerks know the policy and regs.  Provide your mortgage papers and you will not have quarters deducted.  But if you have time to burn on policy and regs vice kit and quarters...

http://Army.ca/forums/threads/106874.0.html

Back