• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Popular war movies depicting Canadian soldiers ...

Did anyone see the CBC mini-series H2O?  I missed out on seeing it, but if I recall from the trailers there was to be a Canadian military presence throughout the whole series. 

Thanks for the additions. I had forgotten about a few like "Legends of the Fall", "Captains of the Clouds", etc.

I would love to see them do a movie about Vimy Ridge or Mowatt's "The Regiment" (I am biased, naturally), or Billy Bishop, or even Stephenson "A Man Called Intrepid", even Ortona, Canada's Stalingrad ... so many to choose from.

Cecil B. Demil did "The North West Mounted Police" with Gary Cooper, Hollywood's answer to the Riel Rebellion.

CBC has done a great job with the budget they have had.

Robert Ross's "The Wars" about a World War 1 horse transport officer.

"Tecumseh: The Last Warrior" I haven't seen this one, but since he was under Brock in the War of 1812, I wonder how much of the British and/or Canadian militia they show.

"49th Parallel"

This is a bit of a spoiler so if you don't want to know don't read on

Right at the end there it is a Canadian Militia solider (played by Raymond Massey) who captures the German captain (Eric Portman)

rick7475 said:
A Bridge Too Far and Band of Brothers same scene depicting Canadian Engineers helping evacuate the British across the river with rubberlife rafts.

What about in episode 9 of Band of Brothers. The 101st, drive by a couple Candians that just cleared a house, search a couple Germans, and promptly execute them. Or were they Brits?

SierraAir said:
What about in episode 9 of Band of Brothers. The 101st, drive by a couple Candians that just cleared a house, search a couple Germans, and promptly execute them. Or were they Brits?

Neither, I thought they are Free French or some other occupied Europeans.

Come to think of it, The Execution of Private Slovik has a scene featuring the Yank deserter meeting up with either a Canadian Provost Corps or an RCE crew posting route signs.

SierraAir said:

Shec is right, they are French - it is explained in the book.  It is also not made obvious in the movie who they are.

Michael Dorosh said:
Meh. That was just a plot device to work an American actor into a British movie so the poor dear wouldn't have to try an accent on.

This same ploy was used in that rivetting epic of the silver screen Submarine X-1 starring James Caan as a Royal Navy officer sporting Canada shoulder flashes.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063655/

A few years ago there was a CBC production about Canadians in FRY.  I think it was called "The King Of Krasna" or something along that lines.

As well, I believe in "The African Queen" that Humphrey Bogart plays a Canadian from Montreal, but I can't remember if he refers to military service or not.

wotan said:
  A few years ago there was a CBC production about Canadians in FRY.  I think it was called "The King Of Krasna" or something along that lines.

It was Peacekeepers; as has already been mentioned.

"Krasna" was mentioned already I believe, it was called Peacekeepers.

If we're going to go out on a limb, then how about Chuck Norris in Delta Force using a Canadian passport and posing as a CBC journalist to enter the Middle East? I'm going on a very vague memory with that one.

Enzo said:

If we're going to go out on a limb, then how about Chuck Norris in Delta Force using a Canadian passport and posing as a CBC journalist to enter the Middle East? I'm going on a very vague memory with that one.

A Canadian naval officer was in one of the Brosnan Bond movies too - with a very fake looking ID...

I just remembered - "The Canadian Caper - The Ken Taylor Story"  - a movie about the hiding and eventual removal of American Embassy workers from Tehran in 79/80 had a Canadian MP Sgt in it.

MM

wotan said:

Enzo said:

You're both right. It was originally titled "The King of Krasna" (taken from a line in the movie) and was re-released as "Peacekeepers".

Not a war movie but what about The Arrow with Dan Akroyd

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118641/

wotan said:
As well, I believe in "The African Queen" that Humphrey Bogart plays a Canadian from Montreal, but I can't remember if he refers to military service or not.

Although my copy of C.S. Forrester's "Africain Queen" has strayed from my library, I am fairly certain that Bogart's character "Charlie" is in fact Belgian and not fond of military service.

Didn't the main character, a German prisoner, in The One that Got Away escape from Canada into the US?  I have only seen this film once, and seem to recall him trudging through the snow and escaping over the St. Lawrence (where Canada looked like it was shot north of 60  :)  )

Am I dreaming, or was their a movie about Camp X?  A quick search turned up nothing.  Or maybe it featured in a film but wasn't specifically about it?  Maybe I'm confusing the actual camp with the film O.S.S.?

Haggis said:
You're both right. It was originally titled "The King of Krasna" (taken from a line in the movie) and was re-released as "Peacekeepers".

Bet me to it Haggis - when I first saw it it was titled "King of Krasna'. 

Back