• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Planning Group Weighs Value of 'Maritime NORAD'

-rb

Inactive
Reaction score
Just curious as to what some of the Navy types and others think of this...seems like a logical next step. More to the point, what would be required of Canada and the US to become effective partners in making something like this work, assuming it was put in to practice on a 'formal' level between the two countries?

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/news/2004/11/mil-041103-afps01.htm

cheers,
ryan

Its not a far stretch for us right now as we have worked and intergrated well with the USN.

I would like to see this come to fruition because it will force the government to keep our technology current with the US for the purposes of exchanging tactical data, and the US will be more inclined to assist in the procurement of that technology since they will have a vested interest in our capabilities under such a scenario.

whiskey 601 said:
I would like to see this come to fruition because it will force the government to keep our technology current with the US for the purposes of exchanging tactical data, and the US will be more inclined to assist in the procurement of that technology since they will have a vested interest in our capabilities under such a scenario.

I may have missed the context, but the CF (all elements) is greatly involved in NORAD.

The chain of command and the actions taken favor an Air Force reponse before
Navy or Army due to the Air Force's ability to provide air recce and fast
interception.

NORAD may view the skies over North America and detect intrusions
as a common example.  The best element to deal with intrusions
(particularily air intrusions that are commonly fast moving) is the Air Force with
the aircraft assets SAR, CF-18 interception, and reconnasance aircraft.  1CAD
has specific aircraft on high readiness all the time.

I'm not Navy but I'm sure the element has naval assets on various states of
readiness that may be used in NORAD exercises and taskings.  Since most
NORAD alerts may involve quick response, Naval assets do not have an
advantage other than position and local use of SKs helos.  However, information gathered
by any military asset (air, ground, sea) is fed thru channels to where it needs to go,
NORAD and otherwise, and responses to it may involve any asset.

Back