• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Piper's lament at ramp ceremonies - what's it called?

steen15

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey all,

I spent a good hour searching old posts for this info and can't find it.  I am looking for the name of the song the pipers play at the ramp cerimonies.
My sister is going crazzy from time to time until her husband and the rest of the 2VP A coy guys come home and simple things make her at ease.  So if anyone could help me out here I would really appreciate it.

Cheers

(Edited by Moderator to clarify thread title.)

I will take a guess, but I think that there are several Scottish 'dirges' that are played, depending on the Piper and Unit.

Thanks, I had emailed a friend of mine from my 3's whos over there right now, but haven't heard back from him.  I really appreciate the help.

Flowers of the forest.

Its the CF standard lament.

Here's the Midi of it.

Heres a link to the music

flowers_of_the_forest_3_pts_422.gif

Well i don't think im gonna get a more strait answer than that of a piper so thanks a lot.

I've heard Mist Covered Mountain used for ramp ceremonies, as well as a few others, where circumstances dictate that the piper has to play more than once.

Pte D. Krystal said:
I've heard Mist Covered Mountain used for ramp ceremonies, as well as a few others, where circumstances dictate that the piper has to play more than once.

I was asked to play a slow version of the Black bear march for WO. Mellish (by the members of the platoon).

I was going to play the flowers of the forest to the ramp and break slowly into the first two lines of black bear once they were loaded (sorry if this seems morbid to discuss)... But I was wounded the day after they were killed and I couldn't play, or even attend the ramp ceremony.

Other soldiers in the platoon had requested specific music if something were to happen to them.  Some of the tunes included various slow marches (Mist covered mountains, The day thou gavest, Amazing grace, etc.) and some were quick marches (Caber Feidh, Scotland the Brave, etc.)  I said I'd play what ever they asked, and I commited their requests to memory. 

It is entirely up to the individual or their friends / family.  Flowers of the Forest just happens to be the CF standard lament, and is usually the lament play at all acts of remembrance (which include pipes, that is.)

I told the troops that if I was killed, I wanted no pipes to be played at my ramp ceremony, I just wanted my pipes layed on my casket.

Another Lament played is Sleep, Dearie, Sleep.  Midi at: http://www.kisswebsites.org/scotia/

Not mordid at all Pipey. It is after all how we honour one another.

To me the Black Bear and/or maybe Johnny Cope after a more traditional lament such as the Flowers of the Forest would be highly appropriate to say farewell to a warrior.

When the time comes (and hopefully it’s a long way off) I’ve let it be known what I’d like to be played as I’m laid to rest.

RHFC_piper said:
I was asked to play a slow version of the Black bear march for WO. Mellish (by the members of the platoon).

I was going to play the flowers of the forest to the ramp and break slowly into the first two lines of black bear once they were loaded (sorry if this seems morbid to discuss)... But I was wounded the day after they were killed and I couldn't play, or even attend the ramp ceremony.

Other soldiers in the platoon had requested specific music if something were to happen to them.  Some of the tunes included various slow marches (Mist covered mountains, The day thou gavest, Amazing grace, etc.) and some were quick marches (Caber Feidh, Scotland the Brave, etc.)  I said I'd play what ever they asked, and I commited their requests to memory. 

It is entirely up to the individual or their friends / family.  Flowers of the Forest just happens to be the CF standard lament, and is usually the lament play at all acts of remembrance (which include pipes, that is.)

I told the troops that if I was killed, I wanted no pipes to be played at my ramp ceremony, I just wanted my pipes layed on my casket.

This maybe a bit to ask Piper...but could you possibly play the songs that some of the members in your platoon requested? And the Flowers of The Forest and the switch into Black Bear March and record these onto a CD or MP3 files so we can make them into CDs.

I think this will be a great way to both foundraise and bring awareness. Sometimes music is a powerful tool. If we could incorporate images too on like the cover of the CD... it would make it that much more powerful. Just a thought. I would like a copy of the files or the CD if you decide to go with this suggestion.

No...not morbid at all. I would request a song to a piper I know when I'm over there...

as an ex RCR we often had the same request from members who passed away...
the playing of thr Black Bear it has always been a song that has carried allot of wieght with it

Andy

At Cpl Warren's internment the piper played "Highland Laddie", which was uplifting and very appropriate.

COBRA-6 said:
At Cpl Warren's internment the piper played "Highland Laddie", which was uplifting and very appropriate.

The Pipe Major played Highland Laddie because it's our regimental march-past (well, part of it). I doubt it's something you'd hear often at such an event.

Pte D. Krystal said:
The Pipe Major played Highland Laddie because it's our regimental march-past (well, part of it). I doubt it's something you'd hear often at such an event.

Hence the appropriateness of it.

Pte D. Krystal said:

Highland Laddie is also our Regimental, and we play it when we visit Ainsworth Dyer, with the rest of the lads on November 11th, as we did on the day of his funeral.

dileas

tess

Highland laddie is the regimental march of just about every Highland regiment...  It's one of ours too.  Highland laddie and Seann Triubhas.

When a member of the Argyles was killed in a car accident, and most of our brigade was in Kentucky on an exercise, the CSM of our joint Argyle / Fusilier (Argylier) company, who was from the Argyles, asked me to play their regimental march (Campbells are coming) at a sunset parade to mourn their fallen soldier. 

Playing regimental marches as part of the act of remembrance is not uncommon.

Highland Cathedral is my personal favourite. I don't know how it would sound with a single pipe, nor is it all that appropriate a march, I suppose. I was wondering what Flowers of the Forest was. It sounded familiar during the ramp ceremonies, but I could put my finger on it; thanks Piper for letting us know. I've downloaded it - it gives me goosebumps when I listen to it. 

When my Buddy and I were having a few, OK getting liquored, we made a pack that if either of us made it to the great pub above on our tour, that at our funeral this song would be played.....Almost was the one who won that pact...I would love to know who he would have got to sing it...John Mcdermott and Drop Kick Murphy both do a perfect rendition;

The Green Fields of France

Well, how do you do, young Willie McBride,
Do you mind if I sit here down by your graveside,
And rest for a while 'neath the warm summer sun,
I've been walkin' all day and I'm nearly done.

I see by your gravestone you were only nineteen,
When you joined the great fallen in nineteen sixteen,
I hope you died well and I hope you died clean,
Or young Willie McBride was it slow and unseen.

CHORUS:
Did they beat the drum slowly, did they play the fife lowly?
Did they sound the death march as they lowered you down?
And did the band play The Last Post and Chorus?
Did the pipes play The Flowers Of The Forest?

Did you leave 'ere a wife or a sweetheart behind,
In some faithful heart is your memory enshrined.
Although you died back in nineteen sixteen,
In that faithful heart are you forever nineteen.

Or are you a stranger without even a name,
Enclosed in forever behind the glass pane,
In an old photograph, torn, battered and stained,
And faded to yellow in a brown leather frame.

CHORUS

The sun now it shines on the green fields of France
There's a warm summer breeze, makes the red poppies dance.
And look how the sun shines from under the clouds
There's no gas, no barbed wire, there's no guns firing now.

But here in this graveyard it's still no-man's-land.
The countless white crosses stand mute in the sand,
To man's blind indifference to his fellow man,
To a whole generation that were butchered and damned.

CHORUS

Ah, young Willie McBride, I can't help wonder why,
Do those that lie here know why did they die
And did they believe when they answered the call
Did they really believe that this war would end war.

For the sorrow, the suffering, the glory, the pain,
The killing, and the dying was all done in vain...
For, young Willie McBride, it all happened again,
and again, and again, and again, and again.

CHORUS

dileas

tess

captjtq said:
Highland Cathedral is my personal favourite. I don't know how it would sound with a single pipe, nor is it all that appropriate a march, I suppose. I was wondering what Flowers of the Forest was. It sounded familiar during the ramp ceremonies, but I could put my finger on it; thanks Piper for letting us know. I've downloaded it - it gives me goosebumps when I listen to it. 

Thanks for mentioning Cathedral- I fell in love with it at CG this summer, but never did find a good version of the song. I just found and downloaded an excellent recording of it. Beautiful piece of music.

Back