• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Picking up my Kit

Justin85

Inactive
Reaction score
I am going to pick up my kit and uniforms tomorrow, and I had a question.  I was wondering if I am allowed to wear my rucksack and boots off duty so that I can go hiking with them to get use to carrying the ruck sack and get the boots broke into my feet.  I know that I wouldnt be allowed to wear any CADPAT stuff like the pants or anything but I would really like to get some hiking done with the ruck before I head out to BIQ this summer.

Thanks
Justin

Correct answer is no, no kit use for any personal purposes, but i dont think ull find a person on this site who hasnt bended the rules at one time or another. If its just the rucksack and boots i would do it anyways, those 2 items wont identify you as a canadian soldier. The general rule of thumb is dont use anything that will identify you as a soldier. And as far as the boots go... break them in by stepping in a full bathtub and getting them wet. then go on a long march with them tight, after that long march they should be broken in sufficiently. Ive done that several times and it works amazingly well.

Just to add to that, if your just picking up your kit now, how are you gonna get on BIQ this summer... when is your BMQ?

This question has been answered before. I'm too tired to point out the individual examples, but check out the equipment board and uniforms sub board for page after page of discussion on this topic.

Thanks, I ll have to do that bathtub thing.  I definatly wont wear anything that will identify me as Canadian Forces.  As for the BIQ, thats a typo, I meant to say BMQ.

I would suggest not touching your gear until you get taught where everything goes and how everything goes together. Your unit should hold a training night or weekend where they get you to bring in all your gear and teach you everything you need to know. Oh, also a not on the boot soaking thing remember to take them out of the water. ;D I had the misfortune of leaving mine in for the entire night last week...they're still not dry.

Cheers

Spazz said:
I would suggest not touching your gear until you get taught where everything goes and how everything goes together. Your unit should hold a training night or weekend where they get you to bring in all your gear and teach you everything you need to know. Oh, also a not on the boot soaking thing remember to take them out of the water. ;D I had the misfortune of leaving mine in for the entire night last week...they're still not dry.

Cheers

thank you for the advice, I will not mess around with anything until I am taught where it goes and how it goes together. I also keep in mind not to leave the boots in the water over night  ;D

There's nothing wrong with wearing your boots off-duty, and its a good idea to start breaking them in now before your course.

The bathtub trick is one way, but is a huge waste of water. I found its a lot easier to just boil a kettle of water, or just fill the boots... Leave them in the sink/tub for about ten minutes, then empty them out and put them on immediately, making sure the laces are nice and tight. If you have your own insoles wear them. Wear the issued socks, and happy marching!

:dontpanic:

Well I picked everything up this morning.  Its a good thing that I had a car to get all the stuff, now the only problem is finding enough space to put everything, I have more gear than apartment space

Back