• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Physical Fitness (Jogging, Diet, Cardiovascular, and Strength )

Futuretrooper said:
I'm right now looking at two seperate jobs in the military, either the Military Police or the Infantry. Right now my workout is as follows

3 sets of 30 pushups
3 sets of 35 situps
run 3-6 miles

I can benchpress 325 pounds.

I do all of these excersizes atleast 3 times a week. Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can improve my physical fitness.

I'd also like to know how to develop my ab's also, it seems that no matter what I do, their is always that layer of fat their.

I highly doubt you are benching 325 pounds. And only doing 3 sets of 30 pushups. And dont have a serious lifting lifestyle. Most men never get past 225 for reps. You want help then dont lie.

And before you make any comments about benching I have a comp benchpress of 445 poundsX2

Abs are made in the kitchen and on the treadmill.  Eat right and run your ass off thats the way to get abs.

Aaron White said:
I highly doubt you are benching 325 pounds. And only doing 3 sets of 30 pushups. And dont have a serious lifting lifestyle. Most men never get past 225 for reps. You want help then dont lie.

I was thinking the same thing as you but didnt want to say anything... 

This is for the guy who wanted the cardio plan:

Running
Week 1: Monday, Wednesday, Friday; 2 miles per day, 8:30 pace 6 miles/week
Week 2: Monday, Wednesday, Friday; 2 miles per day, 8:30 pace 6 miles/week
Week 3: No running - High risk for injury
Week 4: Monday, Wednesday, Friday; 3 miles per day
Week 5: Monday - 2 mi, Tuesday - 3 mi, Thursday - 4 mi, Friday - 2 mi
Week 6: Monday - 2 mi, Tuesday - 3 mi, Thursday - 4 mi, Friday - 2 mi
Week 7: Monday - 4 mi, Tuesday - 4 mi, Thursday - 5 mi, Friday - 3 mi
Week 8: Monday - 4 mi, Tuesday - 4 mi, Thursday - 5 mi, Friday - 3 mi
Week 9: Monday - 4 mi, Tuesday - 4 mi, Thursday - 5 mi, Friday - 3 mi

I do the pushups and situps right after my runs, I find it works best then.

I've started using the Navy SEALS program as well. Hoping it wil bring my VO2 up quite a bit before I resit my PT. The strength part I had no problem w/ it was the VO2 that screwed me. Plus I hate running...no actually its the getting out and running that I hate! ha ha Once I'm out there and actually running I love it.

Just wanted to say I appreciated these posts. Now I know I'm following the right program.

Cheers!  :salute:

One question though. On the Navy SEAL program it says "2 miles 8:30 pace"...what is the 8:30 pace?  2 miles in 8 minutes 30 secs?

No bro thats 8:30mins for each mile. So a 17 minute run(itsa pretty slow for the first 2 weeks). Once you get to the second set of 10 weeks you are supposed to chip away at it until you are running about a 6:30minute mile for 6 miles....or better....Im not there yet...

The cardio program is good for overall endurance but lacking interval training.  I find in training for cardio it is necessary to implement high intensity/short distance exercises that rapidly increase heart rate.  This sort of intensity is only found in interval training, and will dramatically improve your VO2 max (as measured by the 20MSR) as well as your general capacity for longer distances.

For example: 3 times full out at 400m, done 4 times...followed by 3 times at 150m, done 4 times...You can vary the distances, no more than 500m is what I tend to follow...

Also, training for push ups, pulls ups and sit ups may help PT scores, but if your not using a weight training program your really not gaining anything siginificant other than a higher capacity in a few specific exercises...

For example: 3 times full out at 400m, done 4 times...followed by 3 times at 150m, done 4 times...You can vary the distances, no more than 500m is what I tend to follow...

CivU - I was reading about the intensity vs volume and how both are valuable. Now with what you said above - can you explain it a bit more. For example, if I'm running around the track are you suggesting doing spurts of 400m at full belt 4 x during the run? or how are you seeing it?

Sorry if I'm coming off a bit slow here.   :p

Sorry...that may have been unclear...

I mean...warm up jog as adequate

then...

Run full pace 400m (one lap of standard track) then walk a half lap...Repeat this two more times with the same half lap break, and then take a lap and a half of walking break...then begin again...do this 3 times in total (9 times of 400m)

Adjust accordingly depending on distance, less break for less distance...

The most imporant thing is to go as hard as possible...you will get slower over each set, but need to maintain cardio intensity...

CivU said:
Sorry...that may have been unclear...

I mean...warm up jog as adequate

then...

Run full pace 400m (one lap of standard track) then walk a half lap...Repeat this two more times with the same half lap break, and then take a lap and a half of walking break...then begin again...do this 3 times in total (9 times of 400m)

Adjust accordingly depending on distance, less break for less distance...

The most imporant thing is to go as hard as possible...you will get slower over each set, but need to maintain cardio intensity...

Your point is true but Id argue that the ability to conduct yourself at a high level for a prolonged period is more important......and your sprinting periods will follow...Ive got my 10km run down to 37mins.....now I do that twice a week and started concentrating on sprinting...but my sprtining has improved from my distance running as well....

From a VO2 study site:
"Numerous studies show that you can increase your VO2 max by working out at an intensity that raises your heart rate to between 65 and 85 per cent of its maximum for at least 20 minutes three to five times a week."

Most gyms have charts up on the wall with numbers to determine where your heart rate is as per your age.

Civi U,

I am a former squash hack, turned weight dummy. I thought that my squash prepared me for running. It did not. I hate running. I still hate it, but you got to do it. When I began my fitness program back in June running I knew I needed to increase my cardio capacity. I ran 5 times a week.

Three days for 15 minutes as a warm up for weights.
Two days a week was just running. The trainer knew I hated to run. He suggested that I focus on running for time, and not for distance. Run as fast as you can for as long as you can- i.e. run as fast as you can over a period of 10 minutes, the 12, then 15, etc... This idea ensures that you keep your heart rate up.

Just to avoid confusion, I do not mean sprint for x number of minutes, but maintain the fastest pace you can over that extended period of time.

Cheers,

ive always found that a good workup training does a lot to develop your running

basicly start a bit lower than what you can do and every other day run. Increase it weekly so that week 1 you are doing a bit less, say 2km, then the next week boost it to 3. 2 - 3 is a bad example because you are doing 150% your previouse run so after 2 weeks or so go to 3 and slowly increase.

the first few weeks you should just run the straight 2 or 3 but when you get to 5 or so modify it.
monday 4
tuesday 5
wednesday 3
thurs 4
fri 5
sat 6
sun 4

then do the next week at 6 with a similar pattern

good luck!
Spr. Richmond

OK heres a small guide for all you beginners (soldiers mostly but all can still benefit)

Three keys for complete PT: weight training, Cardio(running, swimming,and biking), and diet

For weight training pay attention to the basics:

BACK
    * Deadlifts
    * Barbell Rows
    * T-Bar Rows
    * Pull-Ups

LEGS
    * Squats-(king of all exercises)
    * Straight Leg Deadlifts-(can be done with a slight bend)
    * Leg Press

CHEST
    * Incline Bench Press- Barbell or Dumbbell
    * Flat Bench Press- Barbell or Dumbbell
    * Dips- lean more forward, to hit your chest more - I don't think declines are necessary, because flat bench and dips will hit your lower chest enough

DELTS
    * Military Press- Barbell or Dumbbell
    * Push Press

TRICEPS
    * Close Grip Bench- hands should be spaced about 8-12 inches apart
    * Skull Crushers/Lying Tricep Extensions
    * Dips- with your body more upright

BICEPS
    * Barbell or Dumbbell Curls
    * Incline Curls
    * Preacher Curls

Lift weights no more than 3 days in a week: muscles need time to recover especially if you add cardio (weight training is lesser form of cardio, but can be done in variations to target cardio level). Keep your reps to 9-12, and sets 4-6. Keep your reps and sets relatively low to gain some good size and strength, we are all looking to get bigger and stronger muscles. Increase/decrease weight/reps/sets for shock training when body adapts to same excessive (for me i have to change exercises around approx. every 3 weeks). Make sure you stretch before, between, and after each exercise. Also make habit of stretching during your rest days. Stretch to tightness, not to pain; hold for 10-15 seconds. DO NOT BOUNCE. Stretch every muscle in your body from the neck to the calves, concentrating on your thighs, hamstrings, chest, back, and shoulders. Add in ab workout if you really want it, you will be working out your abs with those exercises mentioned above.

You should be spending more time pumpingg that heart, then pumpin Molson Canadian Light down that hatchway :dontpanic: !

I personally do 50 kms a week running, but most newcomers to exercise cant do that. Id say about 10 kms while starting out and increase distance and speed every week. 3 times a week running seems optimal for the beginner. You should also run in boots to prepare your legs (Boots should be of a light-weight variety). Set a goal a work up to it. You'll be amazed as what your body can do.

Try to fit in swimming, and biking if you can! But don't overdo it, cause you might end up overtraining -- thats not good.

Proper nutrition is extremely important: you must make sure you receive the necessary nutrients to obtain maximum performance output during exercise and to promote muscle/tissue growth and repair. The best source of complex carbohydrates are potatoes, pasta, rice, fruits, vegetables. These types of foods are your best sources of energy. Carbohydrates, protein, and fat are the three energy nutrients. All three can provide energy, but carbohydrate is the preferred source of energy for physical activity. The majority of carbohydrates should come from complex carbohydrate foods that include bread, crackers, cereal, beans, peas, starchy vegetables, and other whole grain or enriched grain products. Fruits are also loaded with carbohydrates. During training, more than four servings of these food groups should be consumed daily.

Water intake is vital; stay hydrated. You should be consuming up to four quarts of water daily. Drink water before you get thirsty! ! !

NUTRIENT INTAKE
Carbohydrates 50-70% of calories
Protein 10-15% of calories
Fats 20-30% of calories

Most of all, have fun.

This promotional site for the American Military has some good articles:

http://www.military.com/NewContent/0,13190,Smith_Index,00.html

In regards to the VO2 discussion...the neighbourhood where I run has lots of hills. I start my run on the flat and then dip down hill for short distance and then it's a long haul up hill. After that it starts going down slightly and then a steep climb back to the flat section for the final leg home.

So does running hills have any positive affect on the VO2 like intensity training. You have to excert more effort to get up the hill and I can still manage the 2 mile run in 17 minutes or the 2.4km run in under 12 minutes. Any thoughts on running hills then?

A little suggestion for you, circuit training. That way, you're not just working cardio, you're doing muscular at the same time. its how I got prepped for my RMC PT Test (which is way harder than the CF Express test I might add). Another thing you might wanna try is hill sprints or long distance runs on hills.

I'm preparing for the army, and I can currently do about 5 miles at about 6.0mph...my 1.5 mile run is at about 11:25 but I would like to improve that to just about 10 mins or so. I been training for a while now and been successful in losing alot of weight, but I would like to get more serious and focused on running+endurance now rather then size and strength. Here is what I have in mind to switch to:

mon/wed/fri-fullbody:2sets/light weight fail reps/1.5mile run under 12 mins (at night couple hours after weights)

tues/thurs/sat/sun- distance running/pushups/situps/pullups-dips

OR should I keep my current routine and just add the 1.5 runs and pushups to it:

mon-chest/tris 3x12 (1.5miles)
tues-distance run + (pushups,situps,pullups)
wed-back/bis 3x12 (1.5miles)
thurs-distance run + (pushups,situps,pullups)
fri-shoulders/legs 3x12 (1.5miles)
sat-distance run + (pushups,situps,pullups)
sun-distance run

Thanks in advance, I would do that navy seal workout, but they dont use any weights at all, and only do body weight training 3x a week, but thats just a sample plan too.

Hey I got a question, I can currently run about 5 miles so I have no real problems with distance running, but I'm starting to prepare for the PT and I'm worried that I wont pass it. Currently my time is 11:25 for 1.5miles, I was wondering if I were to practice more of the 1.5miles and ease off the distance, would my distance capabilities start to fade or would they still be there? And when you do the PT, do you do the pushups, situps first before your run, or after? And is the run on a treadmill or do they take you out on a track, I'm curious because what if it snows, do you do it indoor then or how does it all work. Thanks  ;D

Your fine don't worry about not passing! Just add some speed drills to your running schedule.

If you want to do a hard calisthenics training, keep it to a separate day. Otherwise, id suggest after running or preferably another time during the day! Again, this is from my personal experience.

Back