• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Physical Fitness (Jogging, Diet, Cardiovascular, and Strength )

Indeed. JTF2 is something I'd like to attempt in the future, so that's definitely helpful to know what I should be able to do by then. Much appreciated.

I have 4 years of weightlifting experience and to my knowledge a Push/Pull/Leg routine is best for bodybuilding not performance. What you should do to increase muscular strength and endurance is full body workouts or an upper body/lower body split. You won't put on as much muscle but fitness test scores will go through the roof.

Mango said:
I have 4 years of weightlifting experience and to my knowledge a Push/Pull/Leg routine is best for bodybuilding not performance.
YES! Finally, someone said it. This sounds like a purely bodybuilding routine, which would be fine if you wanted to "body-build", but not a good prep for a functional BMQ (read: strength and conditioning). No performance athlete/trainer will ever recommend exercises such as the leg presses, hamstring curls, tricep pull-downs, or isolated bicep curls (unless for rehab purposes).

Back Squats, Front Squats, Deadlifts, Bench-Press, Pull-ups, Push-ups, Power-Cleans, Burpees, HIIT sprints, Frog Jumps, etc. These are the exercises for developing functional Strength & Conditioning. And if you eat enough, you will add muscle.

I tend to do a hybrid work out the thing is you can't find a better way to get a functional body. Push ups, pull ups, chin ups, squats, TRX all of them all day ( anytime you can ) till fail. Running and walking every day, also do a lot of burpees most people hate them but they are a complete body exercise.

ACE_Engr said:
YES! Finally, someone said it. This sounds like a purely bodybuilding routine, which would be fine if you wanted to "body-build", but not a good prep for a functional BMQ (read: strength and conditioning).

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/6-day-powerbuilding-split-meal-plan

Nick Ludow, 509ilb deadlift at 165ilbs/20years old.

There are a tonne of resources on muscleandstrength and bodybuilding.com geared towards athletics/performance and to no surprise there are push/pull/legs in there plenty. Push/Pull/Legs refers to a breakdown of the body groups you hit on those particular days not the actual exercises. Some are geared performance, some are geared bodybuilding.

What you should do to increase muscular strength and endurance is full body workouts or an upper body/lower body split.

Aside from beginners/teenagers, full body workouts are generally terrible as the main building block for strength gain and are usually used with a lot lighter loads as semi-recovery/high endurance days. 

RelentlessTsunami said:
https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/6-day-powerbuilding-split-meal-plan

Nick Ludow, 509ilb deadlift at 165ilbs/20years old.

There are a tonne of resources on muscleandstrength and bodybuilding.com geared towards athletics/performance and to no surprise there are push/pull/legs in there plenty. Push/Pull/Legs refers to a breakdown of the body groups you hit on those particular days not the actual exercises. Some are geared performance, some are geared bodybuilding.

Aside from beginners/teenagers, full body workouts are generally terrible as the main building block for strength gain and are usually used with a lot lighter loads as semi-recovery/high endurance days.

I remember big, muscly guys like these. Most of them didn't make it in the infantry.

daftandbarmy said:
I remember big, muscly guys like these. Most of them didn't make it in the infantry.

Artillery would be a different story.

Even Armour.

daftandbarmy said:

I remember the first time I had contact with the A team guys when they were doing some exercises at Shearwater.  I was surprised to see that the majority of them were very toned and not the muscleheads of the movies.  Wirery as a matter of fact would be a good description.

jollyjacktar said:
I remember the first time I had contact with the A team guys when they were doing some exercises at Shearwater.  I was surprised to see that the majority of them were very toned and not the muscleheads of the movies.  Wirery as a matter of fact would be a good description.

Yes, this kind of stuff tends to weed out the gym rats pretty quickly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU62iYwpEmg

Annnnnnndddddd.... it's official!

Wimps are 'stronger than bodybuilders', study finds

A gram of bodybuilders' muscle is less powerful than the same amount of tissue from someone who did not weight train, tests show

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/11900273/Wimps-are-stronger-than-bodybuilders-study-finds.html

daftandbarmy said:
Annnnnnndddddd.... it's official!

Wimps are 'stronger than bodybuilders', study finds

A gram of bodybuilders' muscle is less powerful than the same amount of tissue from someone who did not weight train, tests show

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/11900273/Wimps-are-stronger-than-bodybuilders-study-finds.html

Can't say I'm surprised. Bodybuilders train for Hypertrophy, not for strength. They may be huge but aren't *that* strong at least if you compare them to someone training for strength (eg powerlifter or strongman) 

Hey guys. I have recently attained an offer of service as an Officer in the NZ Army, but I will not undergo my training until 2017. Starting February 2016 I will commence 4 months basic training, followed by 3 months core training as a soldier. I am currently 70kgs. With very little aerobic training, I ran the 2.4km in 8 minutes 50 seconds. Followed immediately by 48 pressups  (would have been more if my form wasn't so poor and a few weren't counted) and the max pressups of 130 where I was told to stop. Given my height of 5'8, would I benefit more going into basic with an extra 5kgs of bodyweight (not all muscle but big strength increase) and still working fitness, or would I be better off prioritizing my training on getting my pressups up and run time down. I have a little over 2.5 months of training left. Sorry about the novel and thanks in advance for any help

Mate you're a legend. I'm an ex competitive swimmer and recently got back into it doing about 2 hours 5 times a week for fitness so that combined with weights/bodyweight exercises and running a few times a week should keep me on track. Just need to lay off the alcohol and not fall off my diet

daftandbarmy said:
Good luck if you go Infantry. Your ruck will weigh over 40 kilos at times.
So I've heard. Going to need to make sure my strength keeps up . Even a couple extra kgs bodyweight will make a difference I guess

oscy96 said:
Hey guys. I have recently attained an offer of service as an Officer in the NZ Army, but I will not undergo my training until 2017. Starting February 2016 I will commence 4 months basic training, followed by 3 months core training as a soldier. I am currently 70kgs. With very little aerobic training, I ran the 2.4km in 8 minutes 50 seconds. Followed immediately by 48 pressups  (would have been more if my form wasn't so poor and a few weren't counted) and the max pressups of 130 where I was told to stop. Given my height of 5'8, would I benefit more going into basic with an extra 5kgs of bodyweight (not all muscle but big strength increase) and still working fitness, or would I be better off prioritizing my training on getting my pressups up and run time down. I have a little over 2.5 months of training left. Sorry about the novel and thanks in advance for any help

If you can do the 2.4k run in 8mins and 50 seconds and can do 48 push-ups, then you really don't need to work on anything else before basic. You're definitely in the higher range of fitness levels. Most of the people on my basic (like 75%) ran the 2.4k in more than 10 mins. Most couldn't do more than 40 push-ups. I hate to break it to you, but Basic Trg is not that hard.

That being said, I would personally work on my musuclar endurance, especially in the legs. You can run far and fast, but walking 7k-13k in full battle rattle will take more muscular endurance than cardiovasular endurance.

Hey guys! I would just like to share my personal fitness transformation. I was actually underweight a few months ago and I could not do a SINGLE push-up! I really wanted to apply to the military but I was not at all confident in passing the physical requirements and so I postponed my application.

7 months ago, I was about 110lbs. Focused on cardio, very minimal weight training. Unhealthy foods.
0 push ups
0 pull ups
5 situps
Could run about 10 minutes max

Now, I weight about 117lbs. Cardio once a week. Weight training at least 3 times a week. My diet mainly consists of white rice, plain chicken breast, yogurt, fruits, veggies... I sometimes indulge in oreos and cookies.... that's pretty much it, believe me, it's BLAND as heck.
35 push ups
3 chin ups
1 pullup
60 situps
Could run average 30 minutes

I plan my gym days as Cardio, Upper Body, and Lower Body. I recently started focusing more on Upper Body and it's really surprised me how effective it's been with my chinups! I did ONE chin up last week, and now 3!!!

To achieve your long-term goals and stay focused on them, you need to work on them regularly!  [:)

rayyy said:
I recently started focusing more on Upper Body and it's really surprised me how effective it's been with my chinups! I did ONE chin up last week, and now 3!!!

To achieve your long-term goals and stay focused on them, you need to work on them regularly!  [:)

Great to hear about your progress! Keep at it. And yes, chin-ups are an upper body exercise, mainly using back mussles. I don't know what you're doing at the gym, but if you're bored of doing chin-ups, don't forget that there  are a ton of back exercises that you can do that aren't chin ups!

As for food, your diet seems really healthy, but it doesn't need to be bland! Plain chicken and rice? What are you my dog when he has the runs? Jk! But seriously, if you are exercising and eating healthy foods, you can stand to throw on some tasty sauces or spices. The healthier, the better, such as home made honey mustard or hot sauce; but if you really are exercising as much as you say, and you aren't indulging in junk food, then even a hoisin or sweet teriyaki sauce isn't going to set you back. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle can be hard, and the more you enjoy it the easier it will be to maintain.

Hi Everybody,

I am meeting with a recruiter tomorrow to go over joining the reserves. I intend to join as soon as possible and train to become an officer (currently studying in university). I want to join either my local infantry or combat engineers regiment, however I may have to join armored because I have past injuries that interfere with walking and running long distances (especially with a pack).

I am wondering if I go the infantry officer route, what are the standards for physical fitness that a great officer (who always leads PT from the front) has? And what would be a good training and diet approach to attain these standards? Should I bulk, cut or try a body re-comp?  I have access to a gym at my university.

My current stats are:
Body Fat: about 15%
Height: 5'8"

Running: 5k in 27 minutes
Pushups: 45
Chin ups: 13

Weights (1RM):
Squat: 215lbs
Bench: 185 lbs
Deadlift: 305lbs

TL;DR: What should my goal running and strength stats be at to be a successful Infantry officer?

Back