• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Physical Fitness (Jogging, Diet, Cardiovascular, and Strength )

GAP said:
hmmmm......and the problem with fluffy gym bunnies is.......?

They aren't Camille or like Camille  ;D

camille.bmp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWnLLuE2MjU

I prefer Lydia's snatch  :nod:

Hahaha... I wore Lululemon to PT once on BMQ.

Never. Again.
Not. Recommended.

At. All.
It must be code for "give me more laps and pushups".  :facepalm:

--

Back to the topic; I think most of what should be said was already said... But upping your cardio through any means possible will pay off big time in the long run.

Vyscaria said:
Hahaha... I wore Lululemon to PT once on BMQ.

Never. Again.
Not. Recommended.

At. All.
It must be code for "give me more laps and pushups".  :facepalm:

What's wrong with Lululemon?  Too distracting for the boys maybe.

For just starting out I highly recommend working on the "big 3" lifts as the core of your program and then assistance stuff around that.  Alternate in a 2 week cycle, first week heavy (more sets for low reps) and second week lighter (less weight but for 5-6 sets of 10-15)
What are the "Big 3" ?

Bench press
Squats
Deadlift

No matter what you're doing or what you want to do, working a hard program of these 3 lifts will benefit you and your life.  They are full body, compound lifts that will not only build the main muscle groups they invlove, but every stabilizer and core muscle as well.  Building functional, "Real life" strength should be a big concern for military personell (Do you are more likely to sit on a comfy seat and have to raise a heavy thing with one arm 10-15 times, or bend over and heave a heavy arse box of something from the ground onto a truck?).

5 x 5 is a popular program, especially for beginners to lifting and will certainly build on your main lifts and movements.  Obviously find something that works best for you and has a good emphasis on conditioning as well as strength training.  Personally I lift heavy 3 days a week and do cardio work (sprints, jogging, burpee sets, whatever) another 3 with 1 day for rest.  Another thing you should do is spend time learning HOW to do the big 3 properly.  Watch youtube videos from professionals and read training material on how to do the movements right, nothing worse than seriously hurting yourself because you were turning a squat into some wierd pseudo "good morning". 
Conditioning is of course an extremely important thing for making it through BMQ but being strong and poweful should not be discounted. 

Last note, FIND WHAT WORKS FOR YOU!  everyone is different, everyones body will respond differently to certain routines and diets.  The internet is vast in its opinionated idiots, and ESPECIALLY this is the case on workout forums.. holy crap.  Some will say never work a bodypart more than once a week, some will say work it every day, some will say never use barbells, some will say only use barbells, etc.  Experiment and find what works best for you and if someone tells you "yo dawg you should be doing decline benchpress instead!" you can invite them to mind their own business. 

One more quick note for anyone concerned with the grip test.  Deadlifting is GREAT for building your grip, especially with heavier and heavier weight if you do a single and just stand there holding it as long as you can.  If you can hold up 300 lbs. for 10 seconds you can crush the grip requirement  :nod:

Devo3733 said:
For just starting out I highly recommend working on the "big 3" lifts as the core of your program and then assistance stuff around that.  Alternate in a 2 week cycle, first week heavy (more sets for low reps) and second week lighter (less weight but for 5-6 sets of 10-15)
What are the "Big 3" ?

Bench press
Squats
Deadlift

No matter what you're doing or what you want to do, working a hard program of these 3 lifts will benefit you and your life.  They are full body, compound lifts that will not only build the main muscle groups they invlove, but every stabilizer and core muscle as well.  Building functional, "Real life" strength should be a big concern for military personell (Do you are more likely to sit on a comfy seat and have to raise a heavy thing with one arm 10-15 times, or bend over and heave a heavy arse box of something from the ground onto a truck?).

5 x 5 is a popular program, especially for beginners to lifting and will certainly build on your main lifts and movements.  Obviously find something that works best for you and has a good emphasis on conditioning as well as strength training.  Personally I lift heavy 3 days a week and do cardio work (sprints, jogging, burpee sets, whatever) another 3 with 1 day for rest.  Another thing you should do is spend time learning HOW to do the big 3 properly.  Watch youtube videos from professionals and read training material on how to do the movements right, nothing worse than seriously hurting yourself because you were turning a squat into some wierd pseudo "good morning". 
Conditioning is of course an extremely important thing for making it through BMQ but being strong and poweful should not be discounted. 

Last note, FIND WHAT WORKS FOR YOU!  everyone is different, everyones body will respond differently to certain routines and diets.  The internet is vast in its opinionated idiots, and ESPECIALLY this is the case on workout forums.. holy crap.  Some will say never work a bodypart more than once a week, some will say work it every day, some will say never use barbells, some will say only use barbells, etc.  Experiment and find what works best for you and if someone tells you "yo dawg you should be doing decline benchpress instead!" you can invite them to mind their own business.

Totally agree with everything you said here.However, I think you should add the Overhead/Military press to your list and call it the "big 4" (as many people do).The OHP is ,IMO one of the best bang for your buck exercises out there.Not only does it require a ton of T-spine/Shoulder mobility to perform with a full ROM, but it has more of a carryover affect to other upper body pressing than the bench press does.

Also,for anyone brand new to barbell training, Starting strength would be a good program to look into as it has less volume than the 5x5 method(although eventually you would be able to move onto the 5x5 method,as Devo said, its a popular program for a reason, because it works.)

Do a 5x5 routine. A tested and tried method that's been around forever.

Google StrongLifts 5x5 and you can get a bunch of free stuff explaining it all. Basically you do 3 compound lifts a day, 3 times a week.

Squat
Deadlift
Overhead Press
Bench Press
Barbell Row

Note: all of these are barbell exercises, none of that sissy dumbell flye stuff.  ;D

I was doing stronglifts before I hurt my knee. Good stuff, simple exercises and was helping build strength/muscle.

greenmachine said:
Do a 5x5 routine. A tested and tried method that's been around forever.

Google StrongLifts 5x5 and you can get a bunch of free stuff explaining it all. Basically you do 3 compound lifts a day, 3 times a week.

Squat
Deadlift
Overhead Press
Bench Press
Barbell Row

Note: all of these are barbell exercises, none of that sissy dumbell flye stuff.  ;D
(I realize the OP has probably long since moved on, posting this for the benefit of other folks browsing)

Not that I'm in the army (yet), but from what I've gathered, one would prefer muscular endurance over raw strength or muscle size.
For this purpose, I would strongly recommend higher reps (12 or so) and lighter weight than a 5x5.

Those 5 are indispensable exercises, however I might also add a few exercises that hit the missing muscle groups:
-For wrists and grip strength, do a Farmer's Walk. Pick up two heavy dumbells, hold them by your side, and walk around with them for a minute. Repeat this 5 times per workout session (recommend you save this for the end)

-For biceps, you'll obviously want to throw some bicep curls in there. Just grab a barbell, keep your hands shoulder distance apart, and pull (don't hoist). If you're feeling fancy, you can do hammer curls and/or pronate curls as well.

-Triceps are being worked in the exercises quoted, but they aren't being exhausted. I would add some dips in there (assisted with a dip machine if needed and if at your disposal).

-To work your calves, just hop on a calf machine, and blow out 5 sets x 25-30 reps. Simple stuff.

-For your lats, do some pullups (wide grip).

EDIT:
Split your days up as well. Upper body 1-2 days a week, lower body 1-2 days a week. (3 days a week might seem tempting at first. Don't.)
The aim, for the most part, is to split antagonistic muscles (muscles that work against each other, such as biceps/triceps). For example, you won't be able to reach max contraction in your biceps if you're already blasted your triceps, since your triceps will still be "pumped", and pulling away from the biceps.
My split goes as such:

Upper body
- Chest
- Shoulders
- Traps
- Abs
- Forearms
- Triceps

Lower body
- Quads
- Hamstrings
- Calves
- Glutes
- Lower back
- Middle back (rows)
- Biceps
- Lats
- Adductors (groin muscle)

Do cardio on two off days and after an upper body day. Save 1 day to just rest (as much as possible, at any rate).
Eat properly and such.

Someone who knows how to work out. Do I need to be in the military or have a good "rep" on this site to know how to train muscles?
Point out the flaws in what I've written and send me a-packing, or kindly back off.

I agree to an extent, with 2 mbrs.

one the 5x5 is great, but yes speaking for military use, you'd want to also include some higher rep work 12+ of either the same exercises or different accessory lifts.

Look at Powerlifters, most train in such a fashion.  Low rep heavy work on main moves, and accessory lifts get higher reps, and shorter rest periods to blast through lactic acid threshold.

Mcfro said:
Someone who knows how to work out. Do I need to be in the military or have a good "rep" on this site to know how to train muscles?
Point out the flaws in what I've written and send me a-packing, or kindly back off.

Mcfro said:
(I realize the OP has probably long since moved on, posting this for the benefit of other folks browsing)

Not that I'm in the army (yet),

Starts right there, not in, so no experience on what may or may not be useful.

but from what I've gathered, one would prefer muscular endurance over raw strength or muscle size.
For this purpose, I would strongly recommend higher reps (12 or so) and lighter weight than a 5x5.

Again, with no time in by your own admission, how do you presume to know, that musclar endurance would be preferable?  There are plenty of jobs in the CF where having a solid strength base is more beneficial than one's ability to crank out 50+ push ups.

Those 5 are indispensable exercises, however I might also add a few exercises that hit the missing muscle groups:

If you are some how "missing" something by doing heavy compound lifts, then you either a) aren't lifting heavy enough, b) not doing them properly, c) both.

-For biceps, you'll obviously want to throw some bicep curls in there. Just grab a barbell, keep your hands shoulder distance apart, and pull (don't hoist). If you're feeling fancy, you can do hammer curls and/or pronate curls as well.

-Triceps are being worked in the exercises quoted, but they aren't being exhausted. I would add some dips in there (assisted with a dip machine if needed and if at your disposal).

-To work your calves, just hop on a calf machine, and blow out 5 sets x 25-30 reps. Simple stuff.

-For your lats, do some pullups (wide grip).

Ah I get it you goals and routines are focused on aesthetics vs actual performance.  Again, with no time in, I can see how you would favour aesthetics. About the only good thing you mentioned was doing pull ups, but not because they are good for lat development.  Because, when done properly are in the same class as the compound lifts, they work multiple muscle groups and require co-ordination between those muscle groups, thus benefiting overall CNS development.  As for the rationale of "exhausting" tiny muscles like tricep, what's the logic and rationale, other than you read it in a magazine somewhere.

EDIT:
Split your days up as well. Upper body 1-2 days a week, lower body 1-2 days a week. (3 days a week might seem tempting at first. Don't.)
The aim, for the most part, is to split antagonistic muscles (muscles that work against each other, such as biceps/triceps). For example, you won't be able to reach max contraction in your biceps if you're already blasted your triceps, since your triceps will still be "pumped", and pulling away from the biceps.
My split goes as such

Upper body
- Chest
- Shoulders
- Traps
- Abs
- Forearms
- Triceps

Lower body
- Quads
- Hamstrings
- Calves
- Glutes
- Lower back
- Middle back (rows)
- Biceps
- Lats
- Adductors (groin muscle)

Do cardio on two off days and after an upper body day. Save 1 day to just rest (as much as possible, at any rate).
Eat properly and such.

Again, your training whether you want to admit it or not, is not performance based.  It's also not suitable for a novice.  There is a reason many coaches/authors etc from Mark Rippetoe, Louie Simmons, Dante Trudell, Jim Wendler, Dave Tate, and heck even Arnold, have novices doing basically only heavy compound lifts for the first 2-3 years.  It works.  Again if you aren't suitably wiped from a simple program like stronglifts 5x5 or Wendlers 5/3/1 you aren't going heavy enough and/or doing the lifts properly.  ALL of the compound lifts will tax your entire body if you do them correctly, with heavy weight.  All of the aforementioned will only advocate using accessory movements such as curls, extensions etc, to shore up any weakness that is holding you back in the main compound lift. 

The high volume BB style training, typically seen in BB magazines is meant for ......Advanced Body Builders who also tend to use STEROIDS to cope with the stress that such high volume work produces on the body.  If your deadlift and your squat aren't at least 2x bodyweight, then you are novice. 

And to answer your question "Do I need to be in the military or have a good "rep" on this site to know how to train muscles?" when the topic is regarding workouts/programs suitable to helping a person in their military career,  "Someone who knows how to work out", doesn't quite cut it, when they have no frame of reference to actually BEING IN THE MILITARY, we call it staying in your lane around here.

MrBlue said:
I agree to an extent, with 2 mbrs.

one the 5x5 is great, but yes speaking for military use, you'd want to also include some higher rep work 12+ of either the same exercises or different accessory lifts.

Look at Powerlifters, most train in such a fashion.  Low rep heavy work on main moves, and accessory lifts get higher reps, and shorter rest periods to blast through lactic acid threshold.

You got this in while I was typing.  You are correct sort of.  Different coaches will present a different rationale for why/when someone should use accessory work, and then what accessory work should be used.  Wendler keeps it pretty simple (dips and chins/pullups), also mentions a few "accessory" programs.  Rippetoe if he finds out your curling, he will probably rip your head off.  Simmons gets very very technical, and incorporates ALOT of things (but then the Westside program is meant more for the Advanced Power Lifter).  The common thread though is accessory work should be just that, accessory and should never compromise the main lifts.

Personal opinion if your are using a heavy lifting program like 5x5 or whatever for the CF, then accessory work should revolve around bodyweight work (pushups, dips, pull ups etc.), since that's the high rep stuff a person is going to encounter in group PT scenarios and on PT tests. 

Back