• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

pastor in the forces?

dont.get.it.48

Inactive
Reaction score
hey,

i was originally going to be a medic, but after some thinking i don't think it's the right choice for me. I know the U.S. has them, but i was wondering if we had any pastors in the forces. Like i don't mean associated with or affiliated with, but like a CF pastor that goes on tours and stuff.

and if so, i was wondering how to come about doing it? like is their reserve positions for it, or is it only reg. forces.
and if you had to go to school to be a pastor then join or if theirs some sort of program within the forces for it.

anything will help
Thank you for all your time

They're called Chaplains, everything you need to know is on the recruiting site, and they have them in both the Regular Force and the Reserve.  I think you already have to have a religious education (ie be qualified to do the job) before joining.

For Christian chaplains, the requirement is a Master of Divinity degree and I think a year or so of service in a civilian church.

I know a few chaplains in the forces, and my dad is a pastor in a civilian church. An MDiv is similar to any Master's degree... you need an undergrad or enough experience to study. Typically, MDivs take three years to complete.

Thank you for all your help! it's helped a bunch!
I just sent an e-mail to some people who can help me obtain the requirements.

dont.get.it.48 said:
hey,

i was originally going to be a medic, but after some thinking i don't think it's the right choice for me. I know the U.S. has them, but i was wondering if we had any pastors in the forces. Like i don't mean associated with or affiliated with, but like a CF pastor that goes on tours and stuff.

and if so, i was wondering how to come about doing it? like is their reserve positions for it, or is it only reg. forces.
and if you had to go to school to be a pastor then join or if theirs some sort of program within the forces for it.

anything will help
Thank you for all your time

Please forgive me for appearing overly interested in your inquiry and Career Choice.

First, may I say, what appears to be the Medical Branch's loss will be the Chaplains Corps gain.

However I would be interested in knowing what has  directed you in this decision,  are you very Religious or  received a calling of sorts or the aspects or duties of the Chaplains. Also what Religious Sect or Group would you favour.

Also, if you could share the resultes of your Email inquries as to how they have assisted you in obtaining the,as you put it, "the requirements".

Cheers.

There are a few padres here on the site; at least one resevere and one other regular.

Look around, you'll find them.

Shamrock said:
There are a few padres here on the site; at least one resevere and one other regular.

Look around, you'll find them.

Really?  Where?!

In all seriousness... most things posted here have been correct.

Requirements
BA
M.Div
Ordination in your denomination
2 years post training in your denomination
Permission from your Ecclesiastical authority to join the military
A line serial for you denomination must be available (I believe we are short Catholic priests and United Church)

Join the reserves while you go to school for the entire process.  It helped me pay for most of my education.
And the military experience does wonders for your chaplain career down the road.

Back