• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Parachutist wings from cadets on my PRes or RegF uniform

• Thread starter silentseaforthsoldier
  • Start date
there is different level of jump wings and to be operational you have to be in a jump company

The Basic Para course covers the same content for everyone....Cadets included.   Everything else, such as roll-ups, DZ drills and RV drills are covered if and when you are employed in a hard para posn(Para Company)

It's arguably tougher for the cadets.  They do a three week pre-course before the B Para, to get them into shape, etc.  Three weeks at the CPC was enough for me.

Doug,

Kudos for trying to help them, but as you should know by now, they won't listen and they'll just drive you friggin crazy ;D

Perhaps if the cadets were able to be "in shape" and meet the CF requirements then perhaps the 3 week pre course would not be needed..its not harder...its just 3 weeks of PT to get these kids to be fit enough for the actual thing.

You cannot get "fit" like that in 3 weeks..

If you are not fit enough when you get to connaught, you will be gone in no time. You need to be in good shape before you get there, or you can pack your shit and get on the bus.

i understand that as well...i do beileve its a less of a get fit its more of a make sure theyre fit enough thing...

from my understanding, it is possible to achieve para wings as a cadet at 16 years old, at least i know in BC it might be

the way it *should* work is this:

12 years old - Basic Cadet
13 - Cadet Leader
14 - CLI course
15 - NSCE in spring break and then another CLI course
16 - Pre-para course over spring break then Para that summer

this is the only way I would see it possible to achieve this

also, there are 2 level of para wings achievable, one is the white wings which everyone achieves after they complete the Para course, meaning they are qualified to jump out of an airplane...this is the only cadet acoutrement able to be transferred to a Reg force/reserve uniform. the other is the Red Wings, which denotes someone has jumped in action, hence Operational Wings.

if i am wrong about any of this (yes it is possible) please correct me ;D

Actually I think you got it backwards.  White for operational and red for qualified B Para.  Feel free to disagree.  Cadets wear only the red leaf wings.

Cheers!! :cdn:

The Army Guy

Here's how it worked for me. I completed my NSCE in 2002 and did Maple Leaf Exchange. One year later (2003) I did the fitness test for the CF Basic Para course. I passed that, next thing was a CF medical. After this is passed, a few weeks later I was in Connaught along with forty-nine other candidates including one CIC officer.

The fitness test was administered the first monday morning, the second monday morning and finally the last friday morning. The results of the final testing determines whether the candidate goes to CFB Trenton ( location of the Canadian Parachute Center -> CPC ). If he or she fails, all attempts are made to employ them in a staff position. The days between these testings are full of training. Ususally a day would begin at 0550 for PT, which was begun with sets of chin ups then a long run, followed by push ups and so on. The day would usually involve two major activities, one being citizenship/orientation based, the other fitness related, and finally afternoon PT every day at 1600. During my pre-course time in Connaught, we toured a museum at CFB Petawawa, visited parliament/viewed the changing of the guard, met and were spoken to by Pvt. Jan de Vries (veteran of the 1st Cdn Para bn of WWII ), and the CF tried to recruit us too. As for the fitness training of a day: some weights, obstacle course, ruck march, many sports and swimming.

Once at the CPC in Trenton, you are treated much differently. You are now in the tender care of a course WO and three section commanders who are all veterans of the Canadian Airborne Regiment and are also members of an operational jump company. These gentlemen train you to   the same standard as Reg Force candidates with exacting precision. The day begins at 0445 for morning PT and ends with PT. There are eight classes a day, with a short break between for water and a quick sit. There is no walking, all mouvement is made in double time. A helmet and harness is worn at all times. The day's training ends when afternoon PT is done. There was no training on weekends. If you complete the course you have earned the qualification to wear jump wings with a red maple leaf. This does not mean that you are an elite paratrooper, but that you are a qualified parachutist, able to jump out of an aircraft by military standards. From what I do know ( and I dont profess to be a know-it-all), jump wings with white maple leafs are earned after having served two years ( ? ) with an operational jump company. Mere heresay has impressed upon me that this is no easy time, and this time is not spent with any lily-livers.

Cadets can attempt their NSCE and Basic para once they are 16 years of age; this is true. However I would suggest that you take a year to go on exchange or Rocky Mtn first, as these are greatly enjoyable times full of valuable experience and superior training.

As for this idea of trouncing upon "cadet paratroopers" for thinking "we" deserve more respect...

This is merely a feeble-minded half-witted attempt by those who cannot adequately pinpoint a loudmouth. I do realise that of late there had been certain members who have completed their jump course as cadets making outrageously ridiculous statements, but don't attempt to gain the favour of the masses by creating a stereotyped scapegoat for your arrogant pleasure. I, as well as other jumpers with whom I completed my course, attempt to be mature, responsible and fair leaders in a humble manner. I greatly dislike this notion of painting all of us with the same colour. Other than that, I hope this answers any questions. Again, I do not mean to sound as though I know it all when it comes to the Reg Force side of things; I can only speak for what Ive done.

Well written response.  You are a true professional.  Others can learn from your willingness to explain your side and still remain thoughtful and logical.

Cheers!! :cdn:

The Army Guy

Hey, good post- I'm looking at doing my CF Basic Para course next spring (I'm an Infantry reservist), and this post gave me some of the info I was looking for. Glad to see that not all the cadets who find the internet make fools of themselves- I remember from my time in cadets that we had a lot of those kinds of tools in our unit, even at the senior NCO level. With an attitude like yours, though, I hope you end up joining the forces. We need people like you.

Yes, very well thought out post there.

So a CIC officer can take the para course as well (hey - thats one cic officer amoung us who's fit).

Perhaps Burrows can add this to the FAQ.

ouyin2000 said:
from my understanding, it is possible to achieve para wings as a cadet at 16 years old, at least i know in BC it might be

13 - Cadet Leader
14 - CLI course

also, there are 2 level of para wings achievable, one is the white wings which everyone achieves after they complete the Para course, meaning they are qualified to jump out of an airplane...this is the only cadet acoutrement able to be transferred to a Reg force/reserve uniform. the other is the Red Wings, which denotes someone has jumped in action, hence Operational Wings.

This was already corrected as to ed being basic para and white donating having served in the airborne regiment or a jump company. However there is more, there are more than two levels of para.
-Baic parachutist,
-Free Fall,
-Jump Master etc....

ouyin2000 said:

13 - Cadet Leader
14 - CLI course

ok i do appologise for makung the error of the red and white wings. Thank you for correcting me, and a very nice post by McBear. I enjoyed that, and even though I will not be able to take the course through cadets, i will most likely attempt it through reserves

Have their been any female cadets who have taken and passed para?

Also, does anyone know how a CIC officer goes about taking it (I tried searching for it in CATOs, etc but couldn't find it). I'd be interested to know what the standards are and how they're chosen.

Back