• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Parachutist wings from cadets on my PRes or RegF uniform

• Thread starter silentseaforthsoldier
  • Start date
Lakatos said:
I heard from my officers at camp they may be getting rid of the para course for Cadets, she told me this after I asked for the basic requirements and then she told me she was really busy.

It's just a rumour that they're going to stop offering it to Cadets. Until it actually stops being offered, don't listen to things people say without official documentation.

MGalantine said:
Really? I know a guy who did Basic Parachutist in 2008, then a couple of months later on the medical tested V4... did the minimum change recently?

Last I looked on the 154 it was V3 - minimum for combat arms.  Maybe his last medical said V3 before he went to Trenton.

MM

I wondered about it too...I've also heard they have started it up for Air cadets this past summer...

In which, I need the training for this.
In anytime at all, I would absolutely love to trade up my glider and power positions..I have no desire to be airborne none so ever. But I can see why they don't like other elements to mix. The only one I have seen cross elements is Band...Grr, i don't want to do band for my remaining Cadet years....

PARACHUTIST Each year this course is flooded with applications. Cadets and parents must understand
that selection is not only based on performance in the area of fitness. Applying cadets must attend 18 – 20
Feb in Trenton where they will undergo their first fitness testing to complete the application. The application is
then sent to Region where the complete career of the cadet is taken into factor and they are all ranked
accordingly with Cadets from all of Ontario. From this list, the top 36 are requested to partake in the pre-para
course during March break again in Trenton, where they will undergo a rigorous fitness program and conduct
jumps from the mock tower to confirm no fear of heights. These 36 are then again re-ranked from this
performance and will be course loaded on the Para Course accordingly at a National level. Each year
Ontario’s number of positions varies. It has ranged from 8 up to 18. It is important that cadets always perform
to the best of their ability as this course is highly sot after. Please be aware that Cadets attending the PrePara, must meet the following pre-requisites:

• have successfully completed National Star Certification;
• have successfully completed a Cadet Leader Instructor course;
• have achieved the minimal standard of fitness:
• 1.6 KM run in a maximum of 7 mins and 30 seconds
• Sit-ups: 31 consecutive
• Chin up: 7 consecutive
• be medically fit IAW CATO 16-02;
• be 16 years of age by 1 July of year of training and not reach the age of 19 during the course;
• volunteer for parachutist training 
• attended 75% of  corps mandatory trg during the current trg year 
• be well motivated, self-confident, and have the perseverance to undertake parachutist training; 
• be free from compassionate problems that might contribute to non-completion or failure of the course;
and 2011 Summer Camp detailed Course Information
• not be a member of the Canadian Forces (NEW).
As well cadets attending the Pre-Para must:
• bring a letter from their family doctor noting any previous medical, psychiatric and/or surgical history
including any current medications to facilitate the completion of the medical assessment (VERY
IMPORTANT); and 
• bring a letter from their physician or local laboratory confirming their blood type (VERY IMPROTANT).
:walt:

Mods can you delete my last post on this topic Thanks.

If they do let Air Cadets take the course, what do Army Cadets get that is distinctively theirs? The Air Cadets have the Glider program, Sea Cadets i believe can get their Radio certification. (had difficulty finding their summer training courses). And if Air Cadets get Basic Para what do Army Cadets have as their most prestigious course. :walt:

can anyone tell me the week layout ( what you do during the week . how much pt  )  im doing pre para really soon and i hope i make top 5 for selection .

arrowsmith95 said:
can anyone tell me the week layout ( what you do during the week . how much pt  )  im doing pre para really soon and i hope i make top 5 for selection .

Unless things have changed, you have to complete a senior leadership course prior to getting the opportunity to get an application. Even then, there are only so many slots Canada wide to get on it...as little as 2 per province. If you have NSCE completed then you're put in the top contenders for selection.

Talk to your CoC and they will be able to get you the latest requirements for the screening and PT test. I'll get in touch with one of the JM's I know that is there and see what he can get and post it up.

Regards

arrowsmith95 said:

This may be a bit late, but hopefully it can still help.
The first two weeks of the summer course is basically like the first day of 'pre-para' (which we know by another name) spread out. It will not be fun. You don't have time to recover your body, and trust me when I say go to bed early and don't let the others keep you up. I don't know what province you're from so I don't know which CSM you had or which other cadets you had but the CSM for the summer will be the same as the Ontario pre-para (I will not post any names on this public site without concent). I can only imagine what your pre-para was like but knowing my fellow jumpers from last year I have a good idea, and you can expect as much for course. Just prepare yourself now for then, and good luck making it.

I was an Air Cadet for about six years. One of my friends who attended SLC received the award for top cadet and was permitted to attend the para course since he won the award. The funniest thing ever was seeing Army Cadet Para wings on an Air Cadet uniform. The Squadron staff instructed him to remove them as it was not apart of the Air Cadet dress standards.

-Phobos  :cdn:

There is no such thing as 'army cadet para wings'. They are a Canadian Forces qualification badge; the only one, to my knowledge, that a cadet can ever wear.

Phobos said:
I was an Air Cadet for about six years. One of my friends who attended SLC received the award for top cadet and was permitted to attend the para course since he won the award. The funniest thing ever was seeing Army Cadet Para wings on an Air Cadet uniform. The Squadron staff instructed him to remove them as it was not apart of the Air Cadet dress standards.

Really? National Course and a recognised CF Army course qualification.

Like to see the dress regs on that.

Phobos said:

27 years CF 20 with Cadets and I've never heard of a Air Cadet atteding the para course as an Air Cadet. The Air Cadets did have a sporting Parachute badge that was worn on the sleeve like a camp badge.
Now if he was awarded the CF Para wings he has every right to wear them as they part of all cadet dress standards.

Phobos said:

The reason why no air cadets are permitted to partake in the Basic Parachutist Course is because of an insurance issue. The Air Cadet League of Canada buys insurance for all cadets when they partake in cadet activities, and in the particular policy, cadets are not covered to partake in activities such as skydiving, thus no air cadets are permitted to partake in the course.

At least that's what I have been told, and it makes sense. I have been searching around for official references, but can't find any.

In no part of the CATOs does it prohibit cadets from wearing official qualifications that they have earned, as well, I would like to see the official documentation that allows the recipient of some award from SLC to partake in the course.

I don't know if it's just me, but that story doesn't really add up. 

It would be very nice if they were to extend the Survival Instructor's Course and allow the cadets attending to receive their para qualification along with the required training. Knowing how to parachute out of a plane sounds appropriate to be along with Survival training. The worst case scenario is that a pilot is forced to bail out of their air craft during an emergency, god forbid.

Obviously, the issue with insurance would have to be cleared first. I don't see how getting the insurance would be such a big problem since there are currently cadets training to receive both their glider and private power pilot licenses.

I guess if these changes were made back when I was a cadet, it wouldn't have really mattered any ways. All the courses I enjoyed were in Aviation Technologies. I was never one of those fancy air cadets with all their survival and leader-like training.  ;).

Phobos said:
It would be very nice if they were to extend the Survival Instructor's Course and allow the cadets attending to receive their para qualification along with the required training. Knowing how to parachute out of a plane sounds appropriate to be along with Survival training. The worst case scenario is that a pilot is forced to bail out of their air craft during an emergency, god forbid.

Problem is. What do Army Cadets have that is exclusive to them. And i believe there is a difference between getting your jump wings in order to partake in Airborne operations and bailing from a plane in an emergency. If anything, air cadets could possible take part in training for bailing from a plane, because that is a situation that they could face, but in no way should receive a separate qualification for that training because it is safety training for an activity that they already partake in. Which is flying. It's not like we have air cadets flying C-130's where a free-fall jump would be necessary for escape. So in short any jumps made would be bundled with their pilot wings not their  CF Para wings because it is just OUT OF THEIR ELEMENT....

C/MCpl Pryce said:
It's not like we have air cadets flying C-130's where a free-fall jump would be necessary for escape.

Wew don't have too many Army cadets jumping around taking part in Airborne operations either.

Point is. It's out of their element. Also it's a Canadian Forces qualification not a cadet qualification, so in a sense it is training for airborne operations, which could just basically mean, jumping from a C-130 from 800m, with a 150 ruk, rifle, and then run to a designated point a mile  or two from the DZ. So technically in a sense, Cadets do take part in Airborne operations. :walt:

C/MCpl Pryce said:
So technically in a sense, Cadets do take part in Airborne operations.

Yeah, ok. keep telling yourself that.

::)

C/MCpl Pryce said:
So technically in a sense, Cadets do take part in Airborne operations. :walt:
Interesting choice of smiley -- "walt"  ;)

Back