• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pacing Beads

I don't own a pair, but I used a buddies on my Nav this summer and when i was "pretend" 2 i/c for one of our recce's.  The work great, the only thing is that we really didn't walk in many straight lines when doing our recce, so my pace count went to absolute total shit because of the weaving in and out in closed country.

Mark C said:
By all means please correct me if I am wrong, but in this day and age of PLGRs and widespread civilian GPS use, I don't believe that "pacing" is even taught as part of the basic SQ/BIQ or CAP Nav Skills package.   I hope that I am wrong, but around Gagetown I have never seen a CAP student employing a compass and pacing as a Nav technique.  

Well that explains it, CAP.  As far as it being part of course cirriculum, yes it still is.

And as far as pace-"beads" are concerned, its probably best you opt for something other then a plastic bead and go for something like a rubber ring.  Plastic has a wonderful way of clacking together, and if you've ever done a night recce, I'm sure you would understand how silencing your kit is always a priority.  I've seen guys attach them to their tac vests and with each step forward the beads would swing and click up against the C7, or bounce back down on the plastic casing of the bayonet. 

Pace beads are an excellent tool, especially if all else fails.  You may be on a Recce longer then you expect, and the GPS bats are shot.  The point is, any number of things modern can fail or break or you may even have a brain fart and fail to remember its proper use, if you know your pace, and have a good pace counter, you just need some simple topo skills and your good to go.

I have yet to be issued the tac-vest, but I can assure you, my plastic pace beads are completely silent when attached to my webbing (I also have a set with rubber discs, can't stand them, they're too hard to pull up and down, and a pain in the ass to count with your hand)

It's funny, I've never seen a plugger before until last night when I was given one to teach myself how to operate for the ex this weekend...

What are your thoughts on them? Explain how to use them for others!

"ranger" or pacing beads are a piece of doubled over para cord with 13 arts and crafts beads threaded through them and seperated into 2 groups.  The 1st group ( top or bottom dosent matter) has 9 beads.  The 2nd having 4.  The idea behinind them is that when marching on a bearing, the soldier counts out thier steps to 100M.  At that point they move down one of the beads in the 1st group to represent 100M.  That carries on until the 1Km mark which is marked by reseting group 1, and moving down 1 bead from group 2 to represent Km's.  Carry on resetting until objective reached. Bake at 350 for 1 hr, stir serve and enjoy.

I find they are quite uselfull as the GPS isnt always accurate, and should only be used to double check anyways (IMHO).

McGowan said:
What are your thoughts on them? Explain how to use them for others!

Pacing beads are a vital piece of kit, though I've been a little amused by meeting some troops who don't actually know how to use them and just have them for LCF.

While GPS is more accurate, on most courses you don't have the luxury of using them, and at the end of the day everyone should be able to navigate by map and compass anyhow, without all the fancy kit.

I assume that by L C F you're saying "look cool factor?" So true with some guys...but in the end, pacer beads (like your compass) are essential for NAV and can get you where the fight is when your buddy doesn't have his GPS.

You've heard you can eat your buttons?

You can eat ranger beads too  ;D

NATO Boy said:
I assume that by L C F you're saying "look cool factor?" So true with some guys...but in the end, pacer beads (like your compass) are essential for NAV and can get you where the fight is when your buddy doesn't have his GPS.

I do indeed mean look cool factor.  I have seen a couple of troops with no idea how to use the beads (not that it's particularly complex, but nevertheless...)  A GPS is a potent tool, but when your batteries go dead on the approach, being able to do the basics is most important.

I found particularly amusing the glow-in-the-dark skulls a Sgt in my unit had as pacing beads.  Mine are just simple rubber washers, they work well enough, sometimes a little tight, but means they won't slip and screw  up my count.

Alright, let me see if I get this, the nine beads count up to 900m then for the last 100m to a km you just push one bead of the second group thus equalling 1 full km, so does this mean that you can only count up to 4km? Then again you can always restart it over and mentally keep tabs on your distance, could your second group have more that 4 beads? Just out of curiosity, I have seen some Resv's with them and wondering what was the deal, thanks.
UBIQUE!!!!

Cpl.Banks(Cdt.) said:
Alright, let me see if I get this, the nine beads count up to 900m then for the last 100m to a km you just push one bead of the second group thus equalling 1 full km,

You got it.

so does this mean that you can only count up to 4km? Then again you can always restart it over and mentally keep tabs on your distance, could your second group have more that 4 beads?

You usually start over with each leg, so having beads that only go to 4 KM is a moot point. 

If you're doing a leg over 5 km, you're doing somthing wrong anyway.

quote author=Just a Sig Op link=topic=28605/post-188313#msg188313 date=1111548792]
If you're doing a leg over 5 km, you're doing somthing wrong anyway.

lol  I'd love to be on the nav team on that patrol......

Cpl.Banks(Cdt.) said:
Alright, let me see if I get this, the nine beads count up to 900m then for the last 100m to a km you just push one bead of the second group thus equalling 1 full km, so does this mean that you can only count up to 4km? Then again you can always restart it over and mentally keep tabs on your distance, could your second group have more that 4 beads? Just out of curiosity, I have seen some Resv's with them and wondering what was the deal, thanks.
UBIQUE!!!!

After pulling the ninth bead down and pacing out another hundred metres, you move all the beads back up to the start.  Then when you pace off your next 100 m (ie, reach 1100m) you pull a bead down.

You should never have to pace anything close to 4km on a single leg, in fact, you should never set a leg more than 1 kilometre, according to the conventional wisdom I've always heard.

That all said, my beads are five and ten - so I can just go up and down the cord as necessary.

I've never used pacing beads... I've stored the number of paces in my head in a similar manner, though I could see how pacing beads would be useful if you get bumped... less chance of forgetting... normally though I'm mounted when I'm doing Map and Compass so I have the odometer to see how far I've traveled and only need the compass for general directions on which road to take if the map is not accurate.

I usually do Map and Compass 2-3 times a year on foot, and rarely accross country, so maybe I should get a set of beads, and just bring them on dismounted exersizes...

*shrug*

Pacing is my only weak point in Map and Compass and I'm never out more than 50 meters after more than a km of bushwacking....

Back