• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Our recruiting campaign for Reserves

John Nayduk

Inactive
Reaction score
I hope I’m not stepping on any toes here. I know that Regular Force, Reserve and civilians read this forum. I’d like to hear a little debate on the way we sell the reserves to the public. We advertise the reserve as a great part time job, which it is but at times like these when the reserves will factor in to overseas operations, don’t we open ourselves up to a reservist telling the army that “no, thank you, I thought this was a part time job, I’m staying home.” The CLS said that reservists has a better than average change of going on a tour during their time in the Forces. Now personally, I believe that doing a tour is part of the job and that reservists wouldn’t be going if we were not needed. When the country calls, you should go. That aside, are we being honest with the part time job thing and is the type of people we attract with that sales pitch the ones we need when the chips are down?

Well, I’ll start off by saying that all companies, businesses and people looking for employees always list the good things and the aspects that are going to get the people interested in working for them. If the CF straight out said that you‘ll probably end up spending most of your summer away from home and that in a few years you may have to go to some far away land with horrible living conditions, they might not get as many people inquiring about the job.

We see people highlighting the good aspects of things all the time and paying little attention to the bad or hard things. This is just the way things go. I personally have no problem with what the CF are doing in their advertising campaigns. Their not lying about anything, their just not telling you the whole picture. If someone is interested in the job, it is up to them to find out more information and ask as many questions as possible to gain a better understanding of what they are getting themselves into.

As for attracting the right type of person, this is a whole other issue. I don‘t know who you’re going to get responding to these ads. Probably people from all walks of life. I am sure however that the people that don‘t want to be there will be weeded out by themselves or through their experiences.

Since I am not yet in the reserves, I cannot say weather when people come out of training they are the right type of person you want for the job. But I would assume that the Army "molds" people into what they want. Everyone is an individual, however we will all get the same training etc. and all know what we have to do. Its different personality types that make the world go round. If we were all the same person, we‘d make all the same mistakes. By having a variety of different people, we can teach each other what we know and learn from one another.

I hope I didn‘t get too far off the main topic! :D

Im not in the amry and I dont know much but Im pretty shure the Army wouldnt send its reserve out in the field if it still had its normal standing army. If the reserve is presented as a par time job and we are in times of war Im shure that some of the people in the reserve would voulenteer to go out in the field while others could do home repair or recrution jobs. Many people are looking for a job and if war comes the army can close reserve recruiton.

If the reserve was sent out into the field against their wishes than the field morale would drop and all you would have would be heros and cowards. Basically saying putting a person in a place where he doesnt want to be would increase casulties. No?

i dont know how things are set up now, but in my time you had to ASK to get on a Peace Keeping Roto..No one was forced to go any where...

For those of you who are worried about joining the Primary Reserve and then the possibility of going to war.... Why the H E L L did you join in the first place? Why did you waste countless tax-payers dollars, just for fun?? Well put your minds at ease, you cannot be forced to serve your country in combat, unlike all us RegF sods. The only way that a PRes soldier can be mobilized (per se) is for an Order in Council to be drafted by the House of Commons. I am sure the history gurus will kindly explain when this was last done, and what connection it has to the War Measures Act.
In other words, if the government of Canada decides to mobilize the PRes you have NO CHOICE but to go. If you don‘t show up, you go to Club Ed for the duration, simple as that.

I know this is slightly off topic but has any one else noticed that in the navy recruiting comercial it shows navy personel (seems to be all men) running around and generaly being active but stops the action 3 or so times to show a close up of women posing for camera doing nothing. im not trying to start **** but just curious to find out the reasoning behind this, it just paints women in the forces in a poor light.

The reasoning is (more than likely) PR. If you show a mess of soldiers/sailors running past the camera, are you going to be able to tell if they‘re male/female or a person of a minority group? Not likely, especially if they‘re cammed up. They show stills of women and minorities to convey the image that women and minorities are present and welcome in the CF. Plain and simple.

I can see atleast 1 women doing something active in the Navy commercial they play at the movies here in Langley. Not that it has anything to do with anything, im sure they add the right % of women and minorities to the commercials for fear of womens rights groups and that sort of thing.

On topic, my friend has got me in touch with several people at the new westminster reserve regiment and they give you all the good points but you have to find the downsides somewhere else or as REALLY specific questions. Wich is what you would excpect from any job.
Ive had 2 friends who where previously going to join the same time I did for no other reason then to get in shape and get work experince, as soon as it looks like theres a chance another war will start they bailed on me. So much for patriotism...

Well put your minds at ease, you cannot be forced to serve your country in combat, unlike all us RegF sods.
Zoomie, I wish it was that simple. Too many "RegF sods" seem to DAG Red when it comes to deploying overseas. The army is particularly "worn out" as we have been carrying the operational burden for most of the 90s. The Air Force seems to be having extreme difficulty maintaining its deployed strength.

It is all very disheartening.

Hmmmm. Its unfortunate that recruiters no longer seem interested in why you want to join, but rather /if/ you will join.

Back