• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Other Friends vs. Military Friends

Hunter said:
Para,
Looking forward to reading your published memoirs.  You have a gift with words.
Hunter

Seen!  I was actually referring to the subsequent post and the hundreds of other times you have made me laugh.

Hunter.

paracowboy said:
I can remember leaving hundreds of dollars on my dresser, with my door unlocked, and coming back a couple hours later to have my fridge emptied, my beer drank, one pinch of dip left in my previously-full tin, two smokes left in my unopened pack, and a note saying "I borrowed your KFS."
oh yeah! And no name on the note, so I never did get my KFS back. Whoever it was in L101: you sumbitch, I want my KFS back!

paracowboy said:
nanner nanner nanner! You suck! I rock! You drool, I rule!

LoL...i'll have to give you this one Para....this time  ;D

Here's a quick story for you.

Three buds, all sergeants in a CommRes Sqn, who all go our separate ways in '87.  Two eventually release from the Res and the third joins the reg force as an inf offr.

Over the next ten years the three of us traverse long distances to meet now and then. When we manage to engineer such an opportunity we down copious quantities of fermented, distilled and brewed substances whilst shooting whatever random male-bovine-creature happens by.  Then in '98 the last serving member convenes a special meeting.  After 3 bottles of Saki, a bottle of JD, and some really, really bad beer (that came in a 2 liter plastic bottle), he announces he's getting married, and he wants his two ex-sgt buds to stand up for him.  Of course we immediately agree. 

Then he drops the bombshell: it's a military wedding.  He casts a baleful eye at me and says "you probably don't fit your mess kit any more, do you?"  Standing up, (no mean trick in my current state) I proudly draw myself up to my full 5'-8" of height and say "Bro, for your wedding, I will fit my mess kit." We then hash out the details of travel from northern AB to ON etc. and finish the last of the really bad beer.

Six weeks--and thirty pounds--later, I'm standing in a church with my two best bros, watching one of them make a complete spectacle of himself as he stands beside his blushing bride.  Every other military person in attendance is: a) sitting in the pews and: b) an officer.  There's something marvelous about three ex-sgts (one masquerading as a captain) who--fifteen years later--still stand together for the important stuff.  Later that night, after a rather successful pig-roast/kegger, I'm passed out on the living room couch.  I wake up long enough to find my bud (the groom), pulling a blanket over me and checking to make sure I'm still breathing.

No, you don't find friendships like that in the civvy world.  If this sounds overly sentimental to any of you, well: suck it up buttercup.  I can afford to be sentimental. It's eight years later, and as of today, for the first time since 1987 all three of us will be living in close proximity to each other.  My bud has been posted here, and my other bud lives just a three hour drive away...(next door neighbors by prairie standards)!

The local constabulary has been advised, and the fire department and hospitals put on alert. Stay off the streets for your own safety...you have been warned.

This website re-connected me with a buddy I haven’t seen in 20 years and still remembers enough about me to blackmail me. Military friends are the one that have the most dirt on you!

X2 on the money thing, beer, etc was fair game.

Back