• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

OT to Geotech, MSC, rations and quarters

63 Delta

Inactive
Reaction score
Sorry for the long title. I have been trying to follow all the recent changes to IR, R and Q and such, but am afraid most of it is well over my head. I just dont have zero real experience with postings and such.

So... I am attempting to OT to Geo Tech, and have a wife who is a purple trade. Geo Tech is a 2 year course in Ottawa. I'm trying to figure out all the scenarios that could happen, so that I can prepare financial and mentally.

Scenario that I'm trying to figure out is if my wife is not posted with me:

1. Would I be put on IR? If so, what does that even entail any more? Would this be up to the CM as per  CANFORGEN 184/12 CMP 078/12  http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/106874.800.html

2. Can/would I be in the Algonquin residences?

3. If I am in the residences would it be covered? I'm confused between the being posted to Ottawa, and being on course.. for example, on PLQ, posted to the leadership coy, I did not have to pay for rations or quarters.

Thanks for the help

Depends on your "status" when assigned for training.  If you are posted for training, then you would probably not pay for quarters but would have to pay for rations.  If your attach posted, then you receive the same benefits as TD but for an extended course, TD benefits decrease after 30 days.

Surprised nothing has come out with regards to Married Service Couples on non-colocation issues as yet...so I guess they will be treated the same as everyone else.

From what I have seen, you'd be in the Algonquin residence, it's only about $100/month, but if you get on ir they'll cover it. There's no rations for the college so I'm not sure how that would work.

Geotechs on course at Algonquin are posted to Ottawa.  At this time, only the unmarried Sappers are in the college residence.  I don't know of anyone on the course that came to Ottawa on IR.  There is one military couple not posted together, but I think the IR in that case is at the Petawawa end.

There were cpls in there on ir. it was just for a few months though from what I've seen.

Recent change... geotech students (single privates) will no longer be housed in Algonquin College residence.

Back