• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ontario Majority Government 2022-2026 (?)

A lot of people are going to say "about time" ....
In other news, a snap election in the wind?
Not shocked. A PP government would be an obstacle towards re election for ford

A lot of people are going to say "about time" ....
Good if it’s put together well. Basic financial literacy should absolutely be taught in high school.

In other news, a snap election in the wind?

Ugh. I mean, the strategy of trying to lock in a new provincial PC term before voters contend with a federal shift to blue and probably some budget austerity is sound. I just look forward to an election campaign about as much as I look forward to getting caught in my zipper.

I just look forward to an election campaign about as much as I look forward to getting caught in my zipper.

theres something about mary GIF

Not shocked. A PP government would be an obstacle towards re election for ford
.. the strategy of trying to lock in a new provincial PC term before voters contend with a federal shift to blue and probably some budget austerity is sound ...
I was kinda thinking they may be thinking about riding the federal Federal Blue Polling Wave well before the impact of a Team Blue government in Ottawa kicks in.
... I just look forward to an election campaign about as much as I look forward to getting caught in my zipper.
Same, especially with the next federal campaign already sorta-kinda under way.

I just look forward to an election campaign about as much as I look forward to getting caught in my zipper.

We're already in it and probably don't know it. These days, campaigning never ends...

Permanent Campaigning in Canada​

Election campaigning never stops. That is the new reality of politics and government in Canada, where everyone from staffers in the Prime Minister’s Office to backbench MPs practise political marketing and communication as though the official campaign were still underway.

I was kinda thinking they may be thinking about riding the federal Federal Blue Polling Wave well before the impact of a Team Blue government in Ottawa kicks in.
Affection between federal and provincial team blue has always been typically strained, and it is not uncommon for the party in power in the province to be opposite that of their federal counterparts.

There seem to be some signs that they are warming up to pull the pin. The party is in good financial shape and probably better than their opponents. They may want to lock in a mandate be fore Liberal leader Crombie grows her support outside of the GHTA. They just did a snap announcement of expanded booze in stores that is a year or two ahead of their previous target, and I'm seeing party ads on TV.

Affection between federal and provincial team blue has always been typically strained, and it is not uncommon for the party in power in the province to be opposite that of their federal counterparts.

There seem to be some signs that they are warming up to pull the pin. The party is in good financial shape and probably better than their opponents. They may want to lock in a mandate be fore Liberal leader Crombie grows her support outside of the GHTA. They just did a snap announcement of expanded booze in stores that is a year or two ahead of their previous target, and I'm seeing party ads on TV.
I’ve noticed my PC MPP getting quite a bit more vocal on social media lately.

And it's only costing them/us $225Mn to keep The Beer Store happy.
It's costing us $225M to break the strangle hold of the Beer Store/LCBO, and make it politically unpalatable for the provincial Liberals to undo the changes.

I get more joy from the BeerStore than the CBC. 👍🏼

It's costing us $225M to break the strangle hold of the Beer Store/LCBO, and make it politically unpalatable for the provincial Liberals to undo the changes.
The LCBO isn't going anywhere. They are still the sole wholesaler and distributor, even if their proprietary retail network will have more competition. The writing is on the wall for The Beer Store. I don't know what the ultimate model will look like; maybe individual brewers will be schlepping their wares to each and every corner store. It's certainly not going survive as a large-store-only retailer/bottle return depot.

The LCBO isn't going anywhere. They are still the sole wholesaler and distributor, even if their proprietary retail network will have more competition. The writing is on the wall for The Beer Store. I don't know what the ultimate model will look like; maybe individual brewers will be schlepping their wares to each and every corner store. It's certainly not going survive as a large-store-only retailer/bottle return depot.
…sort of like the Consumers Distributing stores of the alcohol world…

The Beer Store thing was always a goofy business model that only works when the Ontario Government heavily distorts the alcohol retail market to allow it to work.

Good riddance.

Another business model that I never, ever understood…
In its day, there was a purpose, when Canada had an additional layer (‘distributor’) between wholesale and retail…it allowed you to skip over retail and go direct to the distributor layer for some minor savings (ie. Avoid whatever the markup from distributor to retailer was).

The Beer Store thing was always a goofy business model that only works when the Ontario Government heavily distorts the alcohol retail market to allow it to work.

Good riddance.
It (and the LCBO) made sense when you consider that Ontario emerged from temperance/prohibition only reluctantly. It is within my memory, and probably some here, when buying liquor required a permit (actually, that part predates me) being presented with a purchase form using code numbers taken from a list while the actual product was hidden away. Said form was presented to stern men who were the gate keepers. At least many of them were Vets so I'll give the LCBO that.

The Beer Store made at least a modicum of sense - or at least was more acceptable - when its owners were Canadian-owned brewers and small craft brewing was still illegal. If you lived in a small and/or remote community, it guaranteed a reasonable degree of product choice. Even today with LCBO agency stores and commercial retailers, the choice offered by some is pretty limited. They're not going to waste shelf space on slow movers.

When it comes to the next Ontario election/government Im going to vote for the party that has an actual housing plan. If thats the Greens or NDP or CHP so be it

Back