• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

One-handers and sit-ups.

exsemjingo

Inactive
Reaction score
I've got two specific questions, so I'll ask them both at once.
First up, how can I do sit-ups without rubbing my posterior raw?  I've passed PT but have a hard time fitting these into my routine.
Secondly, is there a standard technique for one-handed push ups?  I'm at the point where I can do them, but my feet need to be nearly a metre apart, and sometimes I feel I use my back more than my arm.

Try buying a yoga mat. They are only a couple bucks, and work great.

For the one handed pushups, I cant do them, but I have seen them done alot. Feet wide, arm centered under shoulders. Thats all I can remember, maby someone else can help you with that one.

simply start bringing your feet closer together a little at a time. In order to do perfect one-handed push-ups, you need an extremely strong abdominal girdle. It's easier to do with feet spread than feet together, as feet together removes the stabilizing effect, and you have to compensate with the stabilizer muscles of, well, pretty much the entire body.

As for rubbing your ass raw with sit-ups: how the hell are you doing them? You must be moving back and forth or something, which means your form sucks. Your body shouldn't move in any direction while performing a sit-up. Your feet and ass should be perfectly stationary.

edited for greater comprehension. (Wow, did I butcher the English language on that one! Why didn't somebody jack me up?)

Thanks for the advice on one-handers.
As far as sit-up technique, it's my tail bone in particular that rubs.  Maybe one of my seams is in the wrong place, but I though that's where the pivot point should be.  Everything else is stationary.
Should I bend at my mid-drift instead?  I though those would be crunches and not sit-up.

I just ran through a bunch and my tailbone didn't rub on anything. You want to keep your back fairly straight. Your shoulder-blades touch the ground, you go pretty much straight up and touch your elbows to your knees. Your arse and feet shouldn't move at all. I can do that without anything to hold my feet, and I'm old and fat.

I wish I could actually see you perform the movement. I can't help you much like this, and it's frustrating! Is there any way you can get someone to supervise you performing a set? PSP staff being ideal, but anyone at a military facility should do in a pinch. Failing that, perhaps a gym would allow you to seek some help from a trainer for 5 minutes? There's an example of how to perform them properly on the recruiting site (or was, anyway).

If you want to work on one-handed push-ups, start by using both hands on the "up" and one on the "down". You'll find you need to develop a corkscrew motion.

Back