• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

On this day in history, Aug 24.......

Franko

Staff member
Directing Staff
Inactive
Reaction score
Not only is it the anniversary of the S.t Bartholomews Day Massacre in 1572, but it was on this day in 1814 that the British burned Washington DC. Gelig's eyewitness account says,

"Such being the intention of General Ross, he did not march the troops immediately into the city, but halted them upon a plain in its immediate vicinity, whilst a flag of truce was sent in with terms. But whatever his proposal might have been, it was not so much as heard, for scarcely had the party bearing the flag entered the street, than they were fired upon from the windows of one of the houses, and the horse of the General himself, who accompanied them, killed. You will easily believe that conduct so unjustifiable, so direct a breach of the law of nations, roused the indignation of every individual, from the General himself down to the private soldier.

All thoughts of accommodation were instantly laid aside; the troops advanced forthwith into the town, and having first put to the sword all who were found in the house from which the shots were fired, and reduced it to ashes, they proceeded, without 'a moment's delay, to burn and destroy everything in the most distant degree connected with government. In this general devastation were included the Senate House, the President's palace, an extensive dockyard and arsenal, barracks for two or three thousand men, several large storehouses filled with naval and military stores, some hundreds of cannon of different descriptions, and nearly twenty thousand stand of small arms. There were also two or three public rope works which shared the same fate, a fine frigate pierced for sixty guns and just ready to be launched, several gun brigs and armed schooners, with a variety of gunboats and small craft. The powder magazines were, of course, set on fire, and exploded with a tremendous crash, throwing down many houses in their vicinity, partly by pieces of the wall striking them, and partly by the concussion of the air whilst quantities of shot, shell, and hand grenades, which could not otherwise be rendered useless, were thrown into the river."

*borrowed from another 'grate' site    ;)

Regards

At the risk of revealing my real name, I'll share an interesting "On This Day in History" tale.

During my several years as a radio announcer I stumbled upon a bizarre coincidence.

July 13  London, England (sometime during the 1980's)  a gentleman named Michael Daniel Fagan felt it appropriate to sneek into the Queen's bedroom for a little chat.  He climbed in through the window or something.  It appears that Michael was completely harmless and really was there for a litlle chat and nothing more.

Funny thing.  July 13th is my birthday and my full name is exactly the same.  Fortunately for me, I was in grade 5 or 6. 

They actually stopped me at customs years later as I came into England.  Lucky for me they figured I was way too young to be the guy.

what are the odds???

Back