• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

On the Toxicity of the ‘Warrior’ Ethos

Is he holding the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch?
No, Brother Maynard keeps that in custody. I think this is more an ‘attention getter’ for when SMofQ readeth thine foes the riot act. The HHGoA needs a CDE assessment before it’s lobbest against thine foe…

Like many other 'viral innovations' I think we caught it from the Yanks ;)
I hate the term "warfighter".

Besides the fact that most of the military (any military) aren't door-kickers, I think that term implies that war is the only time when militaries are useful.

I've started hearing that term more in Canada in the past few years, probably due to Afghanistan.

Besides the fact that most of the military (any military) aren't door-kickers, I think that term implies that war is the only time when militaries are useful.

I've started hearing that term more in Canada in the past few years, probably due to Afghanistan.
I had to laugh when I saw the "Home of the Logistician Warrior" at CFLTC being posted online. Like... my Corps is full of nerds, and that's even too geeky for me...

I'll take "Warfighter" over "Warrior" any day...

Yes the CAF does more than fight wars, but fighting wars is our raison d'être. We wouldn't maintain tanks, artillery, frigates, etc., if our primary focus was helping Toronto deal with a few snowflakes on an odd occasion.

While each trade contributes to the fight in different ways, I don't think highlighting those differences internally to the CAF is a healthy thing.

I'll take "Warfighter" over "Warrior" any day...

Yes the CAF does more than fight wars, but fighting wars is our raison d'être. We wouldn't maintain tanks, artillery, frigates, etc., if our primary focus was helping Toronto deal with a few snowflakes on an odd occasion.

While each trade contributes to the fight in different ways, I don't think highlighting those differences internally to the CAF is a healthy thing.
I reluctantly agree. I'd rather just say "soldier/sailor/air-person [yes I know it's supposed to be aviator but not all RCAF folks fly in aircraft]" but given that choice, "warfighter" is more fitting than "warrior".

And we used to have a badge for that too ;)

View attachment 72789
It was killed before 95 no?

Admittedly I like the idea behind the Warrior Badge- as it required one to be be decently fit and able to shoot and other soldierly knowledge to get Gold.

I thought there should have been a financial reward to it though.
Gold gets : $50 extra per pay period
Silver gets: $15
Bronze: thanks for coming out.

It was killed before 95 no?

Admittedly I like the idea behind the Warrior Badge- as it required one to be be decently fit and able to shoot and other soldierly knowledge to get Gold.

I thought there should have been a financial reward to it though.
Gold gets : $50 extra per pay period
Silver gets: $15
Bronze: thanks for coming out.

Paradoxically, I think we can trace the beginning of the 'dumbing down' of the militia back to the introduction of this program where the main focus of alot of our training was on continually testing for the most basic skills.

For one thing, it removed the incentive for Officers and NCOs to design and lead more complex training/ tactics as no one was being measured and judged on anything except things like how well an already well trained trained NCM did on the TOETs for the C7.

No one gave a crap if I trained up my platoons to conduct high quality platoon attacks or ambushes and, anyways, the small amount of training time we had available got gobbled up by getting ready for the 'Great Kindergarten Test' as I called it.

One thing I liked about the Kindergarten Test was that there were parts of it that Kindergarten didn't teach in the first place.

Back