• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Obama achieves historic U.S. presidential victory

Nfld Sapper

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
Obama achieves historic U.S. presidential victory
270 electoral college votes needed to capture White House
Last Updated: Tuesday, November 4, 2008 | 11:04 PM ET CBC News
Democratic candidate Barack Obama made history on election night Tuesday with a victory over Republican rival John McCain to become the nation's first black president.

Several U.S. media outlets projected Obama captured at least the required minimum of 270 electoral votes, including those in the coveted states of Pennsylvania and Ohio, which has backed the victorious presidential candidate since 1964 and no Republican president has been elected to office without winning the state.

Obama also exceeded expectations with a projected win in Virginia, the former bedrock of the Confederacy and a state that hasn't backed a Democratic presidential candidate in 40 years.

An Obama victory was also being projected in Iowa and New Mexico, which were won by President George W. Bush in 2004.

Meanwhile, McCain was the projected winner of 135 electoral votes in southern states his campaign expected to capture, including Georgia, Texas, Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee and South Carolina, as well as in traditionally Republican states in the west, such as Utah and Wyoming.

But the defeat early in the evening in Pennsylvania narrowed the chances of victory for the Republican hopeful, who had poured significant resources into the state and made several campaign appearances there in recent months.

The Democratic candidate also added New York, Michigan, Minnesota, Rhode Island and Wisconsin to his earlier projected victories in traditionally Democratic states, including New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Illinois, the state he has represented in the Senate since 2006.

In Florida, Obama was leading early and performing better in reporting polls than Democratic hopeful John Kerry did four years ago, but it was too early to predict a winner in the state that ultimately elected Bush over Al Gore in 2000.

The last polls close in Alaska at 1 a.m. ET Wednesday, but the majority of states are expected to be decided between 10 p.m. and midnight ET.

States are apportioned electoral votes according to the size of their population, and in most cases the winner of a state's popular vote gets all its electoral votes.

McCain tells reporters: 'We had a great ride'

Earlier in the day before polls closed, McCain remained undeterred by polls suggesting Obama was poised to win, vowing on the flight to his home state of Arizona that momentum was on his side to stage an upset victory.

"I'm feeling good, feeling confident about the way things have turned out," McCain told reporters and photographers who travelled the country with him during the presidential contest.

Alongside his wife, Cindy, McCain reminisced about the lengthy journey over the past 22 months of campaigning.

"We've had a great ride, a great experience full of memories that we will always treasure," he said.

A victory for McCain would also be historic — his running mate, Alaskan Gov. Sarah Palin, would become the first female vice-president. McCain, at 72, would also become the oldest president ever elected to a first term.

A Reuters/Zogby poll released Tuesday had Obama expanding his national lead to 11 points over McCain. But other polls suggest the race is tighter.

Meanwhile, an Associated Press exit poll of more than 10,000 voters conducted in 300 precincts nationally suggested the majority of those casting their ballots were most worried about the nation's economy.

Six in 10 voters picked it as the most important issue facing the nation, while none of the four other issues listed by exit pollsters — energy, Iraq, terrorism and health care — was picked by more than one in 10 people, according to the poll's preliminary results.

Obama was the first of the presidential candidates to get out to the polls.

The 47-year-old Illinois senator cast his ballot after arriving at his voting precinct in Chicago shortly after 7:30 a.m. local time, accompanied by his wife, Michelle, and their two young daughters.

"I voted," Obama said, holding up the validation slip.

McCain voted in Phoenix at a church near his home later Tuesday morning. The Arizona senator cast his ballot after arriving with his wife.

'We've had a great ride, a great experience full of memories that we will always treasure.'

—John McCain, Republican presidential candidateThe longtime senator and Vietnam veteran signed a poster and gave a thumbs-up sign before leaving for a rally in Grand Junction, Colo.

Palin, Biden vote in home states
At least 130 million Americans were expected to cast ballots to elect the 44th president of the United States.

Both candidates were on the campaign trail until the bitter end, with Obama made a campaign stop in Indiana before heading back to Chicago.

In addition to the Colorado rally, McCain held another event in New Mexico before heading to his home state for an election night party in Phoenix.

Palin, meanwhile, voted early Tuesday in her home town of Wasilla, Alaska, accompanied by her husband, Todd Palin.

"Tomorrow, I hope, I pray, I believe that I'll be able to wake up as vice-president elect and be able to get to work," she said.

Democratic vice-presidential candidate Joe Biden voted in Wilmington, Del., with his wife, Jill Biden, and his 91-year-old mother.

After giving reporters a thumbs-up sign, Biden turned to his mother and joked, "Don't tell them who you voted for."

Bush: 'May God bless whoever wins tonight'
As they wound down their campaigns on Monday, the candidates stuck to familiar themes in their addresses to supporters.

Democratic vice-presidential candidate Joe Biden waves after after voting with his wife Jill, far left, and mother Jean, centre, on Tuesday in Wilmington, Del. (Rob Carr/Associated Press)Obama warned that a vote for McCain would continue the failed policies of the administration of Bush, who is slated to leave office after eight years with near-record low approval ratings as America faces one of the largest financial crises since the Great Depression.

"When it comes to the economy, the truth is that John McCain has stood with President Bush every step of the way," he told his supporters at a rally in Virginia on Monday night.

But McCain — who has portrayed himself during the lengthy campaign as a maverick candidate of change despite Republicans being the incumbent party in the White House — countered that Obama's policies are far left of the political views of the majority of Americans.

"He's in the far left lane of American politics and he's stuck there," McCain said Monday in Blountville, Tenn.

Bush, whose record as president was under fire for much of the campaign, was conspicuously absent on Tuesday, making no public appearances.

The president cast an absentee ballot several days ago and was spending election night in the White House residence at a dinner with his wife Laura and several friends, according to a spokeswoman.

White House press secretary Dana Perino said Bush ended his dinner toast this way: "And may God bless whoever wins tonight."

A Man of change , and a real leader. This moment right now is history and I will remember it for the rest of my life.

Congratulations President Obama! You will do an outstanding job leading The United States and the World!!

Sure I wanted Ron Paul but I'm more than happy with Obama!

:salute:

I hear he will be handing out loaves and fish tomorrow.  ;D

I'm very glad Obama won, however, the honeymoon will be short and the number of challenges enormous. What an extraordinary process the U.S. has just been through. 

Ron Paul is crazy yet awesome!

McCain concedes as Obama wins in a landslide
Updated Tue. Nov. 4 2008 11:23 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Voters have elected Barack Obama the first African-American president of the United States, ending eight years of Republican rule that saw a deeply unpopular war in Iraq and growing economic turmoil.

Shortly after 11 p.m. ET, John McCain phoned Obama to concede the election.

Obama's victory is an incredible watershed moment for the country, and the ultimate success of the civil rights movement of the 1960s, when Martin Luther King Jr. dreamed of a future when whites and blacks could live as equals.

"We have come to the end of a long journey. The American people have spoken and they have spoken clearly," McCain told supporters in Arizona in his concession speech. "Senator Obama has achieved a great thing for himself and his country."

McCain spoke gratuitously of the importance of Obama's win to African-Americans and the U.S. He also offered his sympathy to Obama for the passing of his grandmother just hours before Election Day.

"In a contest as long and difficult as this campaign has been, his success alone commands my respect for his ability and perseverance. But that he managed to do so by inspiring the hopes of so many millions of Americans, who had once wrongly believed they had little at stake, or little influence in the election of an American president, is something I deeply admire and commend him for achieving," McCain said.

To win the presidency, a candidate must get 270 votes from the Electoral College, which are awarded for winning the popular vote in a state. A candidate could potentially win the popular vote nationwide, but not win enough votes from the Electoral College, like Al Gore did in 2000.

Current results:

Obama - 333

McCain - 139

After Obama, a 47-year-old first-term senator from Illinois, won the Democratic nomination, he found himself squaring off against John McCain, 72, a veteran lawmaker and war hero who spent five-and-a-half years as a military prisoner in Vietnam.

McCain struggled to separate himself from the current Republican government of George W. Bush, whose approval ratings have plummeted to roughly 25 per cent.

McCain sold himself as a "maverick," frequently using the word in speeches and interviews, and said he would break from the Bush administration and shake up Washington. He also said he was the best candidate to tackle tough foreign policy issues, especially Iraq and the so-called "war on terror."

Obama ran on a campaign of hope and change, saying Americans were fed up with Bush's failed economic policies, a seemingly never-ending war in Iraq and an eroding of civil liberties. He said McCain would essentially bring another four years of the same.

On Tuesday, Obama took an early lead and before 10 p.m. ET he had won the key battleground state of Ohio, which no Republican has ever lost in modern times and still managed to secure the White House.

He later won the Republican states of Indiana and Florida, which no Democrat had managed to secure since Lyndon Johnson in 1964.

Obama also won 21 electoral votes in Pennsylvania, where McCain had focused much of his efforts in the final days of his campaign.

Democrats win Senate majority

Democrats have picked up several senate seats from the Republicans, including a win over Sen. Elizabeth Dole in North Carolina. In a controversial attack ad, she had suggested her rival, who teaches Sunday school, was an atheist.

In other senate races:

Former governor Mark Warner won a seat for the Democrats in Virginia, a traditional Republican stronghold

Democrat Jeanne Shaheen won in New Hampshire, formerly held by the Republicans

Democrat Thomas Udall is expected to win a seat from the Republicans in New Mexico

The Democrats are trying to win 60 seats, which would give them a filibuster-proof Senate majority. But analysts have said that's a long shot.

Who is leading in which states:

Georgia - 15 - McCain

Indiana - 11

Kentucky - 8 - McCain

South Carolina - 8 - McCain

Vermont - 3 - Obama

West Virginia - 5 - McCain

Virginia - 13 - Obama

North Carolina - 15

Ohio - 20 - Obama

Connecticut - 7 - Obama

Delaware - 3 - Obama

Maine - 4 - Obama 3, McCain 1

Maryland - 10 - Obama

Massachusetts - 12- Obama 

New Jersey - 15 - Obama

Tennessee - 11 - McCain

Oklahoma - 7 - McCain

Arkansas - 6 - McCain

Alabama - 9 - McCain

Florida - 27 - Obama

Illinois - 21 - Obama

Mississippi - 6 - McCain

Missouri - 11

New Hampshire - 4 - Obama

Pennsylvania - 21 - Obama

District of Columbia - 3 - Obama

South Dakota - 3

Arizona - 10

Colorado - 9 - McCain

Rhode Island - 4 - Obama

Louisiana - 9 - McCain

Michigan - 17 - Obama

Wyoming - 3 - McCain

Minnesota - 10 - Obama

New Mexico - 5 - Obama

North Dakota - 3 - McCain

New York - 31 - Obama

Texas - 34 - McCain

Wisconsin - 10 - Obama

Kansas - 6 - McCain

Nebraska - 5

Iowa - 7 - Obama

Utah - 5 - McCain

Oregon - 7 - Obama

California - 55 - Obama

Idaho - 4

Hawaii - 3 - Obama

Montana - 3

Alaska - 4

Nevada - 5

Washington - 11 - Obama

slowmode said:
A Man of change , and a real leader. This moment right now is history and I will remember it for the rest of my life.

Congratulations President Obama! You will do an outstanding job leading The United States and the World!!

Sure I wanted Ron Paul but I'm more than happy with Obama!

Unfortunately for you, I believe he is already married.   ;)

As much as I would rather support a Republican government, the people have spoke, and made their choice. Here is whats in the Regina Leader Post has to say ......  

http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/index.html

Regardsless of who sits in the Oval Office, it will be a rough ride.

I do not agree many/most, if not all of his intended policies, and he has no experience in the calibre of this leadership, plus his arrorgance is a shocker IMHO. I guess time will tell. Just because he is well groomed and can talk well does not make him a good leader. I find him rather plastic (the likes of Barbie's Ken in appearance) to be honest.

With McCain, with age comes wisdom with life experience, and he is a veteran too, with all those years in the Hanoi Hilton, beaten and tortured. He knows life on the edge, sacrifice, and the decision of troops going into harms way he can identify with, then there is BHO, who wants to negociate with terrorists.

Good luck Yanks, you'll need it.

OWDU

I was a McCain supporter at first, but the Republicans sure tend to run a greasy campaign and he probably picked one of the worst VP candidates imaginable. The fact that McCain is so old meant that Palin would probably find herself serving in the capacity of President for a portion, if not the remainder of his term if he were to become seriously ill or die in office.

The Democrats will control the House, the Senate, and the White house. America will have a fresh and positive rapport with the free world, I am certain when he finally moves into the White house he will be able to do good things.

slowmode said:

Ditto. My sentiments exactly Slowmode!

Let's pray he doesn't screw it up!

GDawg said:
I was a McCain supporter at first, but the Republicans sure tend to run a greasy campaign and he probably picked one of the worst VP candidates imaginable. The fact that McCain is so old meant that Palin would probably find herself serving in the capacity of President for a portion, if not the remainder of his term if he were to become seriously ill or die in office.

The Democrats will control the House, the Senate, and the White house. America will have a fresh and positive rapport with the free world, I am certain when he finally moves into the White house he will be able to do good things.

I too was a McCain supporter until they picked Ms. Palin. The one thing I really hated this election was the more than usual targeting of certain voter groups and it was obvious why she was picked above lots of more qualified people.

If I believed in skullduggery in politics,  I'd think the Reps knew they were backing a loser, and Palin was chosen as the sacrificial lamb.  Gotta blame the loss on someone, might as well be the VP candidate.

Kat Stevens said:
If I believed in skullduggery in politics,  I'd think the Reps knew they were backing a loser, and Palin was chosen as the sacrificial lamb.  Gotta blame the loss on someone, might as well be the VP candidate.

Interesting point of view there Kat, during his speach Mcain blames himself for the lose but then again you might be right.

Kat Stevens said:

I'm not normally a conspiracy theory guy but if I had to believe one...............

im no expert but i think george bush dealt the republican candidate a bad hand since his presidency was not so good

Eye In The Sky said:
Unfortunately for you, I believe he is already married.   ;)

Oh well, cant get all the fish in the sea eh?  :)

EDIT: I just watched his speech, simply amazing. This is history and its something I could not miss. The next 4 or possibly 8 years will be very interesting.

I can't help be think of that news report I saw on the folks who were apparantly going to make an attempt on his life.  No doubt the Secret Service folks will all pucker up alittle.

Congratulations to President-elect Obama.

Now, there are only about 3 months of post-election analysis to get thru on television.  ;D

Ancient Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times".

Eye In The Sky said:
I can't help be think of that news report I saw on the folks who were apparantly going to make an attempt on his life.  No doubt the Secret Service folks will all pucker up alittle.

Congratulations to President-elect Obama.

Now, there are only about 3 months of post-election analysis to get thru on television.   ;D

True there EITS, sad part if an attempt is made on him more than likely it will be from within (read within the USA) rather that from outside (some other part of the world)

NFLD Sapper said:
Interesting point of view there Kat, during his speach Mcain blames himself for the lose but then again you might be right.

McCain's campaign was never really strong, and he always was on the defensive and attack with BHO. Palin to me appearred to be a Sat night gullable tart (look whta the Monteal radio station managed to complete), who's grammar and english language was that unbecoming of the position she was chosen for. Obama said you can put lipstick on a pig ( a come back to her hockey mom/pitbull comment), and its still a pig. I did laugh when I heard that.

Who's to blame for the demise of the Republicans in 2008, well the finger can be pointed in any direction. As for me, I'll wait for the dust to settle before really commenting on that.

Regards,

OWDU

Back