• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Northern exposure ?

57Chevy

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
                          shared in accordance with provisions of the Copyright Act

from (The Canadian Press) 19 Apr

Northern exposure? Not so much for Canadians living in south: magazine poll
http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5gKXqOwCc9lAxvkQQ3vgfbxB0JY-g?docId=6614559
:cold: WHITEHORSE — People in Canada's Far North live happily in igloos surrounded by penguins and protected by several military bases — at least, that's what some of their fellow Canadians down south think.

Yellowknife-based "Up Here" magazine conducted a survey for its latest edition that shows just how little some Canadians know about life in the North.

Editor Katharine Sandiford said Yukon-based DataPath Systems conducted an online survey of just over 303 southern Canadians in February to evaluate their understanding of the culture and geography of the three territories.

She said the results from the “North Poll” were shocking and somewhat hilarious.

"Sixty-nine per cent of Canadians believe some northerners still live in igloos as their primary residence, 38 per cent don't know the term Inuit replaced the term Eskimo, 50 per cent believe we have several military bases protecting the Northwest Passage," she said.

A whopping 74 per cent of the Canadians who took the online survey thought penguins might live in the Arctic, while Sandiford said some Canadians weren't aware that northerners pay taxes.

The magazine's current edition cover has a picture of a penguin with the headline: "Shame on you Canada."

"To the average Canuck, the Far North is a vast white-out, a wilderness of complete obscurity, the last frontier of the imagination," said the article accompanying the interactive quiz that is still available online.

"What it's not, say Canadians participating in the North Poll, is a place we know very much about."

The multiple choice quiz asks 36 questions about the region's culture, economy and geography. The magazine worked with DataPath Systems of Marsh Lake, Yukon, to compile the survey. According DataPath's website, the company is partly run by Donna Larsen, who has years of polling experience, including a stint as a vice-president with Angus Reid.

The margin of error for the February survey is plus or minus 5.6 per cent.

Sandiford said editors at the magazine came up with the poll as a conversation starter, but she said it proves that numerous misconceptions about the North still exist.

"Is it really a crime to be ignorant about life in the North? Perhaps it's wilful — maybe the Canadian psyche needs the North to be a vast unknown," the magazine's editorial said.

Take the quiz yourself: http://www.uphere.ca/node/707

I got 75%. It would be interesting to turn this thread into a poll where we could report our scores, and see how Milnet's knowledge of "the North" compares to the rest of the sample.

Results distribution here.

Got an embarassing 75%, when I look at some of the ones I answered wrong, I knew better.

Just didn't read the question and think about it before responding, foolish.

75% as well but I admit, a few were lucky guesses. Maybe we don't need to look south of the border for people who are completely ignorant of their surroundings...I have to admit.

85%
I lived in Whitehorse for 10 years and Yellowknife for 2.

Interesting indeed

I got a 72... that being said, two of what I got wrong were the questions on average temperature... I couldn't tell you the average temperature in my home-town, so I don't feel bad about getting those wrong at least.

Pat in Halifax said:
75% as well but I admit, a few were lucky guesses. Maybe we don't need to look south of the border for people who are completely ignorant of their surroundings...I have to admit.

By the way, absolutely no offence intended to any of our friends on here from south of the border. I only say that because the website parodies Rick Mercer's "Talking to Americans".

I got a 61% not very knowledgable......

My woman got a 25% ....................................lol

Booty22 said:
My woman..........................

You are a brave man Booty22 or it may be easy to say in NL, but I also love life to much to say that! ;D

ME

"da woman" is the formal pronounciation of "da missus"

I scored 76%. Better than I had thought I would do. I take issue with the wording of one of the questions I answered incorrectly, or so they allege (the one about languages).

Ouch... 58%

Even though "21 of 36 correct" seems nicer to say... let me go hide myself... right this way  :whiteflag:

Edited for Spell Check

I got 50% I am ashamed :|

especially being a high school student and studying this stuff less then a year ago.. wow..

- Mike

I got 86%. Lived in YK for two years and did quite a bit of traveling up to the far north (such sun-and-fun places as the teeming metropolis of Repulse Bay).

Now the good people "up North" might want to think twice about just how much we "southerners" know about them.  If most people down here had a clue about the amount of federal money spent on communities of 65-300 people, they might be a bit choked. 

Though the NWT has had an "elected" government since the 60s, there was a distinct change in how things were dealt with from Ottawa in the mid eighties, and a great deal of power shifted to the Territorial government. End result? Millions of dollars spent to make sure that even the smallest communities had health centers, schools, community halls, indoor skating rinks (no, I'm not kidding) and  firehalls. Now no one would dispute the need for many of these facilities in remote communites--but even at that time a simple 3 room school in a northern community cost 3.2 million (1987 dollars).  In the space of about ten years at least 30 different communities got at least two or more of each of these types of facility. All federal money.

The total population at the time in the whole NWT was 50,000; about the size of Red Deer AB.  Five years later, the whole thing got partitioned, (Nunavut) and the "local" government bureaucracy for the same number of people essentially doubled.  Pretty much all of this funded federally.

So, maybe the good folks up there might want to remain a little circumspect about how much we REALLY know.

Back