• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Non-commissioned member or officier in reserve

hk416

Inactive
Reaction score
I want to join the reserve as an officier but actually im 17, so i want to know if its better to join as a non-commissioned member or an officier cadet.

To be an Officer you need to have a university degree or be working towards one. Right now you're too young to join as an officer as you're still in high school. Though if you wanted you could probably join as an NCM then down the road get commissioned from the ranks.

hk416 said:
can i be cadet officier?

Do you mean an officer cadet, or an officer who works in the Sea, Army, or Air Cadet programmes?  The latter are called Cadet Instructor Cadre (CIC) officers.

To be a CIC officer you would have to be at least 18 years old.  And it would be very unusual for someone as young as that to join the CF in that occupation without having just been a cadet (and normally a fairly senior one at that).

(S)He doesn't know what (s)he wants, other than to be an officer.  Problem is, they don't take advice well and continue to ask the same question over again, in anticipation someone will be kind enough to give them the answer that they would like to hear.  Unfortunately, if they do not meet the prerequisites, they can not become an officer, be it as a Reservist or as a CIC officer.

Those among us with sufficient patience will answer questions from such people, while those without need not trouble themselves.  In this particular case I perceive a language barrier which may be slowing down the communications process, probably in both directions.

MGalantine said:
that still doesn't make sense. are you referring to the rank of Officer Cadet or a member of the CIC, an officer that works with cadets?

If Officer Cadet, you still cannot join until you have one year of university under your belt and are 19 years of age.

That is incorrect. I began the recruitment process when I was still in grade 12 and was sworn in during my first semester of University. During that time I was 17 (I have a late birthday). However, the unit may decide not to take you as an officer if you are a young age, but that is a case by case basis.

ok for everybody don't understand my question,  should i choose NCM or officier cadet (NOT CIC)  in Officer Cadet Training Plan (OCTP) if im 17?

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/land-terre/joining-enroler/roep-peor-eng.asp

hk416 said:
ok for everybody don't understand my question,  should i choose NCM or officier cadet (NOT CIC)  in Officer Cadet Training Plan (OCTP) if im 17?

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/land-terre/joining-enroler/roep-peor-eng.asp

Here's a hint: if you can't decide 'NCO or Officer', you definately don't want to go the commissioned route.

Back