• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Member Restrictions

George Wallace said:
See!

SEARCH works wonders, doesn't it?

All the hard work of some of the site members has paid off.

Nice, however, the acronymn the guy asked about is not there, He asked what SCTF stands for. If you plug SCTF or acronymn in you don't get the answer. This was only an example. My point was that perhaps we need to show a little more tolerance toward Newbies.

I guess you have a choice.  Part of the Problem or Part of the Solution.  The Wiki forums allow anyone with access to add to them.  There is also oportunities to add to the Acronyms Topic.  We have a work in progress here. 

IN HOC SIGNO said:
Maybe a little tolerance and courtesy would be in order toward Newbies.....after they've been around for a while is plenty of time to get rude! ;D

Agree totally. This board already has a heavy enough police presence. How many new people do you want to drive off.

Just refer them to this:
http://home.comcast.net/~benbrausen/Funny/Posting.swf

Oh, and Trinity, not that I have any use for them personally, but I thought padres were supposed to be nice?  ;)

I think requiring some TI before posting new topics would prevent people from being able to easily find the answers they need, and encourge some of them to pad their post count to get there. We've already seen that occur with the chat room, etc.

A possibility may be to create a new user classification that can only reply, never create new topics (regardless of post count) and add users to this group as needed. A variant of this could be to remove the ability to start new topics from anyone on the warning system.

What about a time limit?

Say, a new user cannot create a topic, or even post if you wanted to be really serious, for a variable of days (1-7) after registration.

My rule of thumb is punish those who deserve it and give everyone the benefit of the doubt until the remove that doubt.

I'd hate to make life difficult for someone coming here to try to find info on their grandfather's service record, or who has a family member in Afghanistan.

On the other hand, I have no qualms imposing radio silence on someone who's causing us grief. Making every new user suffer for the actions of a few doesn't sit well with me, esp. when we get so many "good" users right off the bat.

I'm fairly new to the board and I am scared to post on here. I will give my opinion or help out the best I can when someone asks for it but from there to creating a new post....... meh ...

I agree with what most has pointed out. There's a place to type in the search.
But I also agree to take it a bit easy on the 'noobs'.

The spelling ... I'm fully bilingual and I still make spelling mistakes.
One thing to keep in mind, there's a 'cadet thread' on the forums.
These people are not adults. There's teens on there.
Not everyone thinks spelling will save the world    :p

Patrick H. said:
What about a time limit?

Say, a new user cannot create a topic, or even post if you wanted to be really serious, for a variable of days (1-7) after registration.
That would only deter membership and we would see even more new users that never make a post.  What about all of the very intelligent persons that register for an account because they have something valuable to contribute to a thread today?

Too true. There is a far greater amount of new users that contribute consistantly that should not punished for the poor actions of others.

We're talking mosquitoes here guys.....if they get too close and land...they're fair game if they bite, otherwise they're part of life.  ;D

GAP said:
We're talking mosquitoes here guys.....if they get too close and land...they're fair game if they bite, otherwise they're part of life.  ;D
I agree wholeheartedly! One of the best things about this site is the work the Mods do to keep stupid questions/posts/MSN-speak at bay (as well as several people who seem to get as much joy putting themselves at the trolls' level as the trolls do seeing their mindlessness in print).

Yes, there are Cadet threads. I never go there.

Yes, there is a spellcheck. Why are you upset at having it pointed out to you? Is it that troublesome?

And, at the end of the day, if all of these commonly accepted conventions are just too painful, or you feel members are too harsh....there are lots of other sites where you can post/spell/display your intellect to your heart's content.

Change nothing.

"No, ask a less-stupid question." The Professor, Futurama

sigpig said:
Oh, and Trinity, not that I have any use for them personally, but I thought padres were supposed to be nice?  ;)

You haven't noticed?  We've been playing Good Padre/Bad Padre.  ;D

George Wallace said:
You haven't noticed?  We've been playing Good Padre/Bad Padre.   ;D

Yeah I was gonna say I was with him there for the part he supported me on and then he dissed my trade.
Where is my "Fatwa" code book? I'll show him nice!  ;D

I honestly believe that having a MOD point out your mistakes really prevents you from shoving your foot further down your food orfice  :) and like some say...we're a small army  ;) it really isnt hard to figure out who's who!  ;D Besides, if most of the ppl who are shooting off at the mouth have an interest (how ever remote that may be) in joining the Forces, at least they're getting their mistakes corrected now, on Cyberspace, rather then on course face to face. Agreed?

xo31@711ret said:
Hi Trinity, I like your idea; though I don't post a lot, I read a lot (log  in a few times a day - hey I just recently retired after 24+years of reg service - thus showing my age;LOL) . I would like to post more, but I'm a wee bit computer illiterate  :-\; my youngest (nine) amazes me sometimes with what she knows about computers. Reminds me of in the 70's when I had to show my parents how to program their VCR (and they still can't or won't). Maybe I'm getting long in the tooth or set in my ways (anyone remember 'pong'?  ::) ) Sometimes the terminology baffles me and I would like to respond, but hesitate because i don't want to look like a complete moron  ;D !

-gerry.

Nothing wrong with looking like a complete moron from time to time, it proves you are human (hint to others). Next drop into the chat some night you will get all the help you need and more, I certainly did. As for the new topic post restrictions I have seen some quite well done first new topic posts, more than likely from posters who took the time to read the guidelines, so that restriction is debatable.

Back