• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Canadian Shipbuilding Strategy

The NSS despite it's flaws has been one of the better things we as a country have done in regards to defence.
In retrospect I'm still surprised it got put in place; reading through the years of briefing notes, slide decks, presentations to cabinet etc it was an impressive sustained effort, and one of those things where (I think) shows the benefit of having a professional public service who is looking at the long term and can push some genuine strategic things like this.

There is a lot of short term wrapping to sell it to the politicians, with flashy updates and job numbers, but it is generally delivering the actual capability of having functional Canadian shipyards with at least a chance to break the boom/bust cycle if people can buy into keeping them running with new builds. There is plenty of requirements, so just needs to get funded and planned ahead of time so the shipyards don't run out of work first.

I think adding Davie gives too much long term capacity, but makes sense for a short term surge for some immediate needs.

May just lead to a bigger boom before the bust, but the 'mandarins' that godfathered the program did the best they could to try and at least give it a chance at a sustained industry.

Back