• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Bin-Laden Tape

Alex252

Inactive
Reaction score
Osama bin Laden delivered a new videotaped message in which he told Americans their security does not depend on the president they elect, but on U.S. policy.

The tape was aired on the Arab language network Al-Jazeera Friday, just four days before the U.S. presidential election.

It's the first videotaped message from the al Qaeda leader in nearly three years.

Bin Laden said the message was being delivered directly to the American people, saying the attacks of September 11, 2001 were the result of U.S. foreign policy in Arab lands, specifically referring to Lebanon and the Palestinians.

At one point, he mentioned both President Bush and Democratic candidate Sen. John Kerry.

"Your security is not in the hands of Kerry or Bush or al Qaeda. Your security is in your own hands. Any nation that does not attack us will not be attacked," bin Laden said in the video.

Bush told reporters as he was boarding Air Force One for Columbus, Ohio, "Americans will not be intimidated or influenced by an enemy of our country. I'm sure Senator Kerry agrees with this. ... We are at war with these terrorists, and I am confident we will prevail."

Kerry told reporters in West Palm Beach, Florida: "Let me make it clear; crystal clear -- as Americans, we are absolutely united in our determination to hunt down and destroy Osama bin Laden and the terrorists."

He added: "They are barbarians. And I will stop at absolutely nothing to hunt down, capture or kill the terrorists wherever they are, whatever it takes. Period."

Bin Laden criticizes Bush
Bin Laden sharply criticized President Bush for his behavior on the morning of September 11, 2001, when the president was reading "My Pet Goat" to a group of schoolchildren in Florida at the time he was informed of the attacks.

"It never occurred that the highest leader of the military armed forces would leave 50,000 people to face the horror that they faced all by themselves when they needed him most," bin Laden said.

"He was more interested in listening to the child's story about the goat rather than worry about what was happening to the towers. So, that gave us double the time for us to execute our attacks."

Bin Laden was wearing a gold robe with a white headdress and white cloak. He had a long mostly gray beard, and appeared to be sitting behind a desk, reading from a paper statement, occasionally moving his right hand as he spoke.

Intelligence officials have warned previously about the possibility of al Qaeda trying to attack the United States around the time of next Tuesday's election, similar to the al Qaeda train bombings in Madrid on March 11 before the Spanish presidential election.

"Your security is not in the hands of Kerry or Bush or al Qaeda. Your security is in your own hands. Any nation that does not attack us will not be attacked."
-- Osana bin Laden  

A U.S. government official said that based on initial analysis of the new bin Laden tape, "There have not been discussions about raising the nation's security posture or threat level."

The official said that the government is waiting for the intelligence community to further analyze the tape, but on first glance it did not appear to contain any specific threat information. The official said that among things analysts will be looking for are hidden messages.

In the video, bin Laden said he decided to attack the twin towers of the World Trade Center in 1982 after the invasion of Lebanon by Israel.

"In those dark moments, my soul was thinking about lots of things that are hard to describe but they brought a feeling to do something about the aggressors and punish them," he said.

"When I looked at the towers that were destroyed in Lebanon, it occurred to me that we should do the same to them. And the towers in America should have fallen down in order for Americans to feel what we have felt."

He underscored it was U.S. foreign policy that led to the attacks, saying, "Bush has told you that we do not like freedom. Then, why didn't we hit Sweden?"

The statement aired Friday is the first videotaped message from the al Qaeda leader since December 2001.

Since he was last seen speaking on tape, at least seven audiotapes have surfaced on which a voice believed to be bin Laden issued messages. The most recent came in April, when he made references to the train bombings in Madrid the month before.

Any comments?

Simply designed for more fearmongering - and to get them to vote for Kerry  ;D...

"Your security is not in the hands of Kerry or Bush or al Qaeda. Your security is in your own hands. Any nation that does not attack us will not be attacked."

I just hope the Canadian public is not comforted by this statement in any way. The last thing we need right now is for people to be disillusioned about their safety.

I just hope the Canadian public is not comforted by this statement in any way. The last thing we need right now is for people to be disillusioned about their safety.
Yup :eek:

Well, at least we no he's still alive....

I agree, Bin Laden isn't the most trustworthy individual out there.  I don't pretend to believe what he says for a second.  And, it wouldn't surprize me if most Canadians do feel more comforted by this videotape - the general public is so ignorant towards even the most basic of military concepts and practices, it wouldn't surprize me in the least if they believed what he was saying.

Now I know some of you might jump down my throat for this - if you don't have anything constructive to say, then don't say anything at all - but, does anybody else feel as if maybe we create a lot of the enemies we have these days?  I'm not saying "We created Al-Qeida" or anything like that...but one thing Mr. Bin Laden does bring up that is worth looking into further, is - does our foreign policy (By our, I mean the western world as a whole) work against us?  Does our policies of sanctions, pre-emptive military strikes, and aggressive peace enforcement (Namely the USA in Iraq, in regards to their aggressive tactics when compared to the British, Polish or Australians) serve the terrorists' goals moreso than our own?

I know some of you blindly support Bush in everything he does, and others may agree on some things and disagree on others.  (The ability to form one's own opinion, rather than having their opinion thrown onto them by the not-so-neutral media is quite a pleasant find these days).  But, does anybody else feel that maybe SOME of Mr. Bin Laden's words have merit?  I still think we should bomb the hell out of him, and I'd put a round through his head myself given the opportunity - so I'm not preaching for him.  But, perhaps some aspects of our foreign policy serve him more than they serve us?  Alienating an entire continent from the rest of the world?  Breaking international law, and pre-emptively attacking a country in which our goals and objectives have noticably changed since when we first went in?  Labelling people as terrorists and insurgents when they're not, when they're only crime is challenging the way things are being done?  Tearing the world apart by saying "Either your with us or against us", and not having any respect for any other viewpoints other than those that blindly support the objective in mind?  Perhaps SOME of Mr. Bin Laden's words are worth contemplating, in that maybe our "war on terrorism" has a lot more shades of grey than we like to admit.  You can't fight and ideology with bullets and bombs.  You can protect yourself physically, with bullets and bombs, but you can't eliminate two clashing ideologies with military hardware alone.

You can protect yourself physically, with bullets and bombs, but you can't eliminate two clashing ideologies with military hardware alone

No SHIT eh!  :eek:

Yet, for thousands of years all these freakin' religious people have been clubbing eachother over the head and stabbing, shooting, bombing, maiming, raping, pillaging ALL in the name of religion! OH HOLLY GOD, ALLAH! Whoever the hell the little green men in the sky are! It's all for you! I did it because of YOU!

Ahem... It's not the "God" of any nation. It's shit-faced phsyco's who get in control. Bin Laden does have some points alright, but, as you've all previously mentioned. It's fear tactics too. Again though, who TRAINED Bin Laden and his croonies? US of A. Course he's a good terrorist! The USA has got the best of'em! Almost every US president and government leader who has been assasinated has been in the US military at one point or another. The USA works thier people by fear.

Anyway,
in that maybe our "war on terrorism" has a lot more shades of grey than we like to admit.
<----------- Is also just what they want us to think, so they can barge in and kill/arrest anyone or any nation they want. I do believe that the USA should protect itself and do everything in it's power to keep it's place as the most powerful nation on earth, who wouldn't? But umm.. Can we say overkill? "Geez umm.. Where'd those darn nukes and WMD go Bob?", "Well I'm not sure, we kicked the weapons inspectors out when they told us they weren't done yet!"....

Again though, now all that High Explosive has gone missing from Iraq to who-knows-where? BIN LADEN maybe? You just never know....

World's a crazy place!

;D

I think there should be a distiction made between US policy and the policy of the rest of the western world. We get shafted by their policy, look at NAFTA, the softwood lumber problems, BSE, etc. Their attitude of "with us or against us" is nothing new, it has always been around. It's only been made a public statement recently. The US had an amazing show of support after 9/11 but they squandered it with lies and deciet. The "war on terror" was a joke, if they were able to find Saddam they should have been able to find Osama... they've had 3 years to do it, are they even making a effort anymore? I think they don't want to find him, as long as he's around they will be able to write themselves blank cheques for anything to do with their millitary...

The US not only trained and funded Osama, but they funded Saddam for many years. I remember seeing pictures or Iraqi troops (at the beginning of gulf war I) with the latest and greatest American kit... obviously they got it from somewhere... I agree that US foreign policy creates enemies, it is obvious not just in the middle east but all over the world - Asia, Africa, Central/South america... it's easier to name continents than it is to name countries...

Does anyone remember that incident in China a few years ago when that chinese fighter jet collided with a US spy plane? The Chinese gov't said that the US was violating their airspace. The US said no, we were 150 miles offshore, at the limit or chinese airspace. It seems that everyone else said the US should have been 200 miles off the coast, as defined by international law. The US said that that law is good for everyone else, except for them...

There is also the international ban on landmines, everyone that signed this treaty will not use land mines. The US signed the treaty but says no one is allowed to use landmines except for them.

Yes, I agree that the US makes their own enemies... looking forward to anyone proving me wrong...

Sorry, I definitely have to disagree with Kevin B. This will help Bush and it's quite predictable just before the election isn't it? (Maybe Ashcroft will give us another Orange Alert this week!) For whatever reason, Americans think Bush is more likely to guarantee their security (even though in IMHO he has made the world much more dangerous).Bush said to Bin Laden "You can run but you can't hide", well, excuse me, but Bin Laden seems to be doing a pretty fair job of hiding if you ask me. Bush's Iraq policy has turned that country into a terrorist playground and that certainly serves Bin Laden's purposes. Do you really think Osama would rather have Kerry as President? Bush is a fundamentalist Christian and Bin Laden is a fundamentalist Muslim and that's the way they like it. It's a Crusade for both of them and Bin Laden wants Bush to be bogged down in Irag, and scaring away any potential allies the US may have by his arrogance and stupidity..

PencilTech
I really do think they want Kerry - Democrats have short attention spans - and Kerry is not goign to get anymore help in Iraq than Bush - many gov'ts have made that one crystal clear (German, French and Canadian to note a few)

Secondly Bush is going to go step by step thru the middle east despite world opinion - Kerry won;t and I think Kerry will scale back the GWOT.

IF Binny Boy was trying to upset or antogonize us - he woudl have been back at his same old - Death to the US/BRIT/CANADIAN/AUSTRALIA/NEW ZELAND/SPAIN and POLAND routine that was so popular with him in post 911 times.  Now he is saying he won't be chopping the heads off, or blowing up port cities or etc... from countries that lost their spine and dropped out of the GWOT.

Do you really think that is a PRO BUSH agenda?

There is also the international ban on landmines, everyone that signed this treaty will not use land mines. The US signed the treaty but says no one is allowed to use landmines except for them.

I really like coming here and reading all the different views, even from the predictable Yankee go home' crowd that I figured would come out after the release of the newest Bin Laden tape. The folks that post here are among the most credible and sensible.

What I don't like is outright false information. The US never signed the treaty to ban landmines:
http://www.icbl.org/treaty/members?eZSESSIDicbl=c35dafe65699227f7567aabb72131ce4

One big reason was that if the US had signed the land mine treaties they would have been forced to remove all of their antipersonnel landmines from the DMZ separating north and south Korea.

They felt (rightly) that it would sacrifice force protection measures for their troops (especially in Korea) for an idealistic cause that is not grounded in reality.  Imagine we all decided to get rid of our Military following the Kellogg-Briand Pact?  ::)

Back to bin Laden: I actually found it interesting that he wasn't ranting and raving as usual. By his lunatic standards, this sounded almost conciliatory. Maybe the boys of CJTF in Afghanistan are getting closer than he likes?
There was a report today in a Kuwaiti paper that he's supposedly in northeast Afghanistan, instead of the Pakistan border as previously thought.
As for the idea that the West/U.S. policies fuel or cause terrorism, I'd urge everyone interested to read any of al Qaeda's early manifestos (try a great Arab translation site for instance: http://www.memri.org). These guys claim to want U.S. troops out of Saudi Arabia, but when you scratch the surface that's not all they want. They want Israel obliterated; an Islamic republic stretching from Iran to Morocco; and they ultimately would like southern Spain returned to Islam. I'm not making this up ... go read up on it.
Point is: their demands are unending ... doesn't matter what we give them, they're always going to want more.

GGboy said:
Point is: their demands are unending ... doesn't matter what we give them, they're always going to want more.

NAIL ON THE HEAD

The terrorists, and Bin Ladin and co. are using a series of positive and negative rewards to remove allies from the US and from Iraq. Negative rewards like decapitations, and positive rewards like "We won't attack you because you don't support the US".

The negative rewards are working, and this new tape will probably fulfill its purpose too.

The negative rewards are working, and this new tape will probably fulfill its purpose too.
I agree

how many of us saw this coming.... makes me sad that the american people might fall for it.

Im not a conspiracy theorist but that tape was hanging in the holster for a long time.

Funny this electoral race is almost a carbon copy of the bush vs al gore race..but with a few exceptions,

i.e bush holds some trump cards this time too ( saddam and bin laden)

bah! i give up draw what conclucion you may ..i have drawn mine already and so far all that i have expected have come true.

Back