• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New air defence kit from BAE SYSTEMS

I think that the demand is considerably greater now than it was even at the height of the Cold War.

During the Cold War the threat was highly trained pilots in multi-million dollar aircraft occasionally flying over head and dumping a few dumb bombs. That threat was countered by a few highly trained pilots in multi-million dollar aircraft sweeping the skies of threats.

It was important to keep our skies safe for our pilots to shoot down their pilots which meant strong central control of GBAD.

The new environment is akin to working under a sky of hornets. There are too many hornets and not enough multi-million dollar swatters. The skies are not safe for any one right now.

My sense is that the problem cannot be left to the Air Force to manage and that a couple of batteries in each Division is not going to get the job done.

My sense is that each company/sub-unit, regardless of arms, and regardless of trade, is going to need at least a platoon with a C-UAS capability. I am going to suggest a dual function heavy weapons DFS/C-UAS platoon of four RWS mounting something like the short cartridge 30mm cannon instead of the M2/M3 12.7mm and the 70mm APKWS instead of the 40mm AGLs.

The Ma Deuce was ubiquitous across all units precisely because it had some utility against air and ground targets. Truckers, mechanics, gunners grunts and tankers all used them.

Back