• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Nearly a third of U.S. military spouses are jobless

OceanBonfire

Reaction score
A recent report conducted by Hiring Our Heroes and Burning Glass Technologies found 39% of military spouse respondents discussed wanting their service member to leave active-duty military service because of obstacles they encountered in regard to their own employment opportunities.

Nothing new. My wife is far more educated than me and makes double what I do. If they hand me a posting message “because they need to post me” I’ll be handing in my VR. Military service does not take priorty.

One hopes that with the ability to work from home increasing that this can be properly adressed.

Working from home only solves the problem for about 30% or the CAF, if not less. You can't fix planes, fly planes, drive tanks, sail ships, and provide logistical support from home in most cases. Working from home works for Ottawa personnel and HQ staffs.

Posting people for the sake of posting them happens far less than we want to believe, but I concede it happens. I think both the CAF and members need to be more accepting of the fact it may mean someone VRs because of family circumstances and move on. It shouldn't be looked down at for choosing to leave the Forces for a spouses employment opportunities.

Working from home only solves the problem for about 30% or the CAF, if not less. You can't fix planes, fly planes, drive tanks, sail ships, and provide logistical support from home in most cases. Working from home works for Ottawa personnel and HQ staffs.
I could be wrong but I read @Remius 's remarks as the spouse would get a job that involves working from home.

As an example. My spouse had someone working for her. This person is married to a CAF member being posted out west. They arranged a telework arrangement that allowed her to move with her spouse without losing her job. They kept a solid employee and this person didn't have to resort to being an overqualified Tim Hortons employee. Win win.

Remote working is likley to help the CF, both for the member and Spouse. That's assuming the PMQ's have adequate internet infrastructure and arcane rules don't preclude working from a PMQ. I realize not everyone live in PMQ's and that would not then apply.

A big factor in staying a reservist was doing a stint in Shilo and realizing I would spend most of my career there and there was very little opportunity for any spouse I would have. That was in the 80's.

As an example. My spouse had someone working for her. This person is married to a CAF member being posted out west. They arranged a telework arrangement that allowed her to move with her spouse without losing her job. They kept a solid employee and this person didn't have to resort to being an overqualified Tim Hortons employee. Win win.
I think that much like how the CAF has been (rightly) forced into accepting WFH arrangements because of Covid, society has as well.

For most office jobs, WFH may become the new norm.

Back