• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NCI OP question

CanSurf

Inactive
Reaction score
This is my first post here and I have done an extensive amount of reading and research to try to find the answers to some questions I have. The main question I have is on the CFRC website it lists the NCM job of NCI Op as a hot job. From what I can tell is that it means that it's an in demand trade, but the website says to check for the latest information from a recruiter. I went down to my local recruiting office and I wasn't able to get a clear answer if it truly was an in demand job. What I want to know before I start asking even more questions is if it is an understaffed job that they are really looking for people to fill and how the bonus system works that it says is available.

I am hoping that someone could give me an answer before I get my heart set on this job.

Thankyou
CanSurf

It is not that much of a hot job with only about 21 positions left but it is always hard to fill so if you apply you will have a good chance.  Bonuses are for ex RegF QL5 qualified NCI Ops not for unskilled civilians.

Thanks for the information. I'll use this thread to ask a couple of more questions.

1. What is the pay for BMQ and expenses as an NCM? I seem to be having trouble getting a clear answer on this.

2. What is the pay and expenses for the 5 week NETP portion?

3. What is the pay and expenses for the 26 week portion of the training at CFFSE?

4. What is the pay and expenses once all the above have been completed. (I would choose East Coast if given the choice of location)

The reasons that I need to know this is because it will make a difference in the timing of when I apply. I want to be sure that I don't run into any financial problems. I work a good paying job right now and this is something that I definitely want to do. It just might make a difference about when I can/should. Again I haven't been able to get too much information on this even from the recruiter I went to talk to. I understand that different people will have different expenses but I would likely be living on base. My younger brother who is armored (Strathcona) has given me as much information as he can but couldn't find out too much about Navy.

Thanks again. I really do appreciate all the information that I have read on this site.
CanSurf

CanSurf said:
1. What is the pay for BMQ and expenses as an NCM? I seem to be having trouble getting a clear answer on this.
I assume that your younger brother gave you a list of the Pay Scales, so then all you need to do is look up the Pay Scale for Recruit, or if he has not, simply use the Search Function at the top of the page and you can find out all the answers to your Pay inquiries from the many times that such questions have been asked in the past.....all still on this site in several threads.
CanSurf said:
2. What is the pay and expenses for the 5 week NETP portion?
See answer for Question # 1.
CanSurf said:
3. What is the pay and expenses for the 26 week portion of the training at CFFSE?
See answer for Question # 1.
CanSurf said:
4. What is the pay and expenses once all the above have been completed. (I would choose East Coast if given the choice of location)
And, again....See answer for Question # 1.  I hope this helps some.

I didn't get a pay scale list from my brother. He is currently in Kingston and been there for a while training.

I attempted to get more information by searching and I really don't know if I found any good information. There seems to be a lot of inconsistencies in the answers people have given and a lot of "I know this one person...".

I will try to give the answers that I have found please correct me if I am wrong. Also I was unable to find any information on expenses when at BMQ in the answers I found amounts ranging from $0.25 to $500?

1,2,3,4 - From  what I can tell the pay is the same as a private year1 which would be 2421/month. I still have no idea about expenses though. Especially for questions 1,2,3.

CanSurf

The pay and benefits are listed at http://www.recruiting.forces.ca/engraph/benefits/wages_e.aspx

I'm not sure what expenses you are referring to. There are benefits for being away from home, I don't know exactly what they are.  If you take a taxi to the airport, keep the receipts. Mostly common sense things.

There may be more information on the link I provided for you, but if you want more, you're going to have to do your own further research. I'm done with being helpful today.  :p

I heard from a friend of a friend (which is why I cannot ask the person directly as I don't know the person) a bit about the everyday experience as a Sonar Op. It was described as a trade where you didn't get to practice it very often so that he spent most of his time helping out in other capacities such as laundry, cooking, cleaning etc. He said that time spent actually working with the sonar was a treat. 

My question is whether the Job of NCI OP is similar in that I can expect to spend much of my time performing other needed tasks?

It isn't likely to change my mind on the trade that I'm interested in applying for but I want a feel for what a workday as an NCI OP would involve. I've watched the short recruiting videos for the trade but my question didn't seem to be covered.

Thank you,
Crimson

As a NCI Op you will spend a considerable amount of your time doing a NCI Op job but you will be required to do other duties such as stand watches, work in the scullery and clean from time to time.  Sonar Ops don't need to do their jobs as much as NCI Ops or NESOPs.

This is actually my first post on army.ca, so forgive any errors in how this is all done.  I am an NCIOP who is on his way out of the navy.  Take what I say with a grain of salt but I thought I'd pipe in with some "reality" for you. 
You will be sitting in front of a radar screen on all your watches.  If you like looking at monitiors until you hallucinate then this trade is for you.  I would suggest it only for people who are very turned on by technical trades and like information technology.  It's all about the information management...It can really dry.  Much of it is air traffic control type work, with lots of collision avoidance.  You will be the eyes of the ship. 
Although this maybe just the way it was done on my ship...We were not allowed secondary duties.  Be prepared if there are manning problems not to be a part of any ships diver course or boarding party.  You will be closed up at all times.  To be completly honest, I found it to be and endless series of hassles and morale sapping ridiculousness.  But that was me.  You maybe be the best thing to happen to the trade since radar was invented.  Oh, and no work was done by nciops in the scullery.  As I said you will be closed up at all times.
I am off to the infantry to do some real work...good luck

Although this maybe just the way it was done on my ship...We were not allowed secondary duties.  Be prepared if there are manning problems not to be a part of any ships diver course or boarding party.  You will be closed up at all times.  To be completly honest, I found it to be and endless series of hassles and morale sapping ridiculousness.  But that was me.  You maybe be the best thing to happen to the trade since radar was invented.  Oh, and no work was done by nciops in the scullery.  As I said you will be closed up at all times.

Again as you said it depends on your ship. Other ships have no problems sending their operators on the NBP course or a ships diver course. The trade is what you make it.

I have to agree with guernica on one point, for the most part  Senior NCIOP's are the most miserable bunch of people in the fleet. I realize that the need to man the department,  but they make it very difficult for junior operators to do anything else but be nciop's. I like the trade, and I have been a ships diver for 6 years. Every year that i have been a diver has been a fight with the PO1 NCIOP. They don't want to let you go for rescue stations or for emergency flying stations or anything like that. Yes I am aware of what my trade specs are. Sometimes it is nice to do something alittle different. Anyway when you have to start asking permission 3 days in advance to do something when the ship is alongside and doing nothing but make work projects. Well no thanks. The trade is not too bad, you get to do some cool stuff. AAW and ASW warfare, but there is a lot of boredom and tedium involved and sometimes you wind up with petty and lazy supervisors who are more interested in making themselves look good than looking after the troops.
That's my piece on that, any comments send them on.
Thanks Marc.  :cdn:

Both of you gentlemen are in the right.  Any trade offers obstacles and your peserverance and hussle will be required...and tested.  But everyman has their limit in respect to what they can tolerate and for whom.  Anyone trying to be an NCIOP should try and fight tooth and nail for a position aboard a frigate.  The destroyers are career cul de sac.  My opinion of course.  You will be stuck onboard a destroyer for a looong time if posted there.  Pray to the operator gods.
It can be understood that Po1's have their priorities and considerations that they are responsible for.  Making an ordinary seaman grin is pretty low on his/her list.  Sometimes though the men/woman need a little bit of light.  Thats all I have to say there.
I genuinely give my best to folks starting out as NCIOPs.  Just know its going to be a challenge and dont let the *&*^#%  get you down...M Feetham knows what he is talking about.

Back