• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Navy ballcaps in CADPAT

yeahsure

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

Latley I have been seeing more and more photos of navy personnel wearing their unit ballcaps while in CADPAT instead of berets. Can anyone speak to this matter and if it is an approved practice?

Hello,

Latley I have been seeing more and more photos of navy personnel wearing their unit ballcaps while in CADPAT instead of berets. Can anyone speak to this matter and if it is an approved practice?
Any examples?

Hello,

Do you mean people posted to ships? They aren't all navy, and lots of air force/army people are in sea going billets or other RCN positions ashore.

When I was in OD’s this was normal practice depending on the job. That’s….20 years ago now.

Attachments

• 934D6152-0397-467A-BEC3-DEC4DE3BC4A8.jpeg
    934D6152-0397-467A-BEC3-DEC4DE3BC4A8.jpeg
    267.1 KB · Views: 66
*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

CANFORGEN 088/23 C AIR FORCE 012/23 231542Z MAY 23​

RCAF DRESS UPDATE - RCAF BALL CAP​

UNCLASSIFIED
  1. AS OF 01 JUNE 2023, RCAF COMD HAS AUTHORIZED ALL RCAF MBRS (EXCEPT THOSE ON POSTING STRENGTH WITH THE CANADIAN ARMY) TO WEAR THE RCAF BALL CAP WITH ALL VERSIONS OF OPERATIONAL DRESS
  2. THE RCAF BALL CAP SHALL NOT BE WORN WITH DEU 1, 2 OR 3

3. THE RCAF BALL CAP IS AN OPTIONAL ITEM TO BE PROCURED AT MBRS EXPENSE. THE ONLY AUTHORIZED RCAF BALL CAP IS THE ONE SOLD THROUGH CANEX

4. THE RCAF BALL CAP IS AUTH FOR WEAR AT ALL TIMES WHERE HEADDRESS IS APPROPRIATE. WHEN UNIFORMITY IS REQUIRED, OR WHEN SAFETY OR OPERATIONAL EFFECTIVENESS DICTATE, MBR CAN BE ORDERED TO REPLACE THE BALL CAP WITH AN AUTHORIZED ISSUED HEADDRESS

5. UNIT BALL CAPS REMAIN AUTHORIZED BUT SHALL NOT BE WORN OUTSIDE THE FLIGHT LINE, IAW WING STANDING ORDERS

6. THE RCAF BALL CAP MUST REMAIN CLEAN AND IN GOOD CONDITION. NO ACCOUTREMENTS ARE TO BE ATTACHED TO THE BALL CAP, AND IT SHALL NOT BE MODIFIED IN ANY WAY. ALL SALES TAGS/STICKERS SHALL BE REMOVED

7. IT SHALL BE WORN SECURELY AND SQUARELY ON THE HEAD WITH THE BRIM FACING FORWARD. THE BRIM SHALL HAVE A SUBTLE CURVE, AND NO HAIR SHALL BE VISIBLE FROM UNDER THE BRIM OR OBSTRUCT THE WEARERS VISION

8. THE RCAF BALL CAP CAN BE SECURED ON THE PANTS ON EITHER SIDE WHEN INSIDE BUILDINGS, UNLESS THIS POSES A SAFETY RISK

9. FOR ANY QUESTIONS, CONTACT THE RCAF CWO EA MWO SONIA DARVEAU 613-XXX-XXXX

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************

My guess is that RCAF saw RCN walking around in NECUs and thought, "why the heck not?" TBH, the only place I've seen "Navy" ball hats in CADPAT is in Halifax, at the PLQ school. the CANFORGEN specifically states that the beret is the headdress of choice when working at an Army unit, so I would think that the ball hat is not used at CFLRS, but maybe someone inland can confirm that?

All the non flying members of ships air dets wear ball caps and CADPAT outfits.

As well Navy ranges will have personnel in CADPAT and ball caps.

Its not uncommon at all.

I chuckle that they have to spell out that the brim is to face forward.

Angry Tank GIF by Redneck Island

10 years later, I'm still miffed that Borden had created an official rule to say that navy members working on the base were not allowed to wear ball caps, even if they still belonged to a unit that wore ball caps. They HAD to wear a beret with their NCDs. Not sure if it's still a rule.

CANFORGEN 088/23 C AIR FORCE 012/23 231542Z MAY 23​

RCAF DRESS UPDATE - RCAF BALL CAP​

UNCLASSIFIED
  1. AS OF 01 JUNE 2023, RCAF COMD HAS AUTHORIZED ALL RCAF MBRS (EXCEPT THOSE ON POSTING STRENGTH WITH THE CANADIAN ARMY) TO WEAR THE RCAF BALL CAP WITH ALL VERSIONS OF OPERATIONAL DRESS
  2. THE RCAF BALL CAP SHALL NOT BE WORN WITH DEU 1, 2 OR 3

3. THE RCAF BALL CAP IS AN OPTIONAL ITEM TO BE PROCURED AT MBRS EXPENSE. THE ONLY AUTHORIZED RCAF BALL CAP IS THE ONE SOLD THROUGH CANEX

4. THE RCAF BALL CAP IS AUTH FOR WEAR AT ALL TIMES WHERE HEADDRESS IS APPROPRIATE. WHEN UNIFORMITY IS REQUIRED, OR WHEN SAFETY OR OPERATIONAL EFFECTIVENESS DICTATE, MBR CAN BE ORDERED TO REPLACE THE BALL CAP WITH AN AUTHORIZED ISSUED HEADDRESS

5. UNIT BALL CAPS REMAIN AUTHORIZED BUT SHALL NOT BE WORN OUTSIDE THE FLIGHT LINE, IAW WING STANDING ORDERS

6. THE RCAF BALL CAP MUST REMAIN CLEAN AND IN GOOD CONDITION. NO ACCOUTREMENTS ARE TO BE ATTACHED TO THE BALL CAP, AND IT SHALL NOT BE MODIFIED IN ANY WAY. ALL SALES TAGS/STICKERS SHALL BE REMOVED

7. IT SHALL BE WORN SECURELY AND SQUARELY ON THE HEAD WITH THE BRIM FACING FORWARD. THE BRIM SHALL HAVE A SUBTLE CURVE, AND NO HAIR SHALL BE VISIBLE FROM UNDER THE BRIM OR OBSTRUCT THE WEARERS VISION

8. THE RCAF BALL CAP CAN BE SECURED ON THE PANTS ON EITHER SIDE WHEN INSIDE BUILDINGS, UNLESS THIS POSES A SAFETY RISK

9. FOR ANY QUESTIONS, CONTACT THE RCAF CWO EA MWO SONIA DARVEAU 613-XXX-XXXX

My guess is that RCAF saw RCN walking around in NECUs and thought, "why the heck not?" TBH, the only place I've seen "Navy" ball hats in CADPAT is in Halifax, at the PLQ school. the CANFORGEN specifically states that the beret is the headdress of choice when working at an Army unit, so I would think that the ball hat is not used at CFLRS, but maybe someone inland can confirm that?
RCAF CWO EA??? Another beautiful example of "Headquarters Bloat". Sorry for the divergence but couldn't pass this up. Do all elemental chiefs have EAs, presupposing a staff of some description and who else amongst these folks have emulated this? The world wonders!

RCAF CWO EA??? Another beautiful example of "Headquarters Bloat". Sorry for the divergence but couldn't pass this up. Do all elemental chiefs have EAs, presupposing a staff of some description and who else amongst these folks have emulated this? The world wonders!
Yes, the other element chiefs have EAs as well. No other staff dedicated to them.

Most Base chiefs (at least in RCAF bases) also have EAs, but are usually Sgts or WOs, not MWOs.

I chuckle that they have to spell out that the brim is to face forward.

Angry Tank GIF by Redneck Island
I mean, the US Army had to spell out that their patrol cap was to be worn so it was parallel to the ground.

This will blow your mind, but in the navy they have had a Cox'n's Writer or Regulating Petty Officer to assist the CPO1 for decades at least.

The Command CWOs don't just carry the Commanders's briefcase and yell at people who forget to salute the staff car...

This will blow your mind, but in the navy they have had a Cox'n's Writer or Regulating Petty Officer to assist the CPO1 for decades at least.

The Command CWOs don't just carry the Commanders's briefcase and yell at people who forget to salute the staff car...
Like the latest bunch of dress screwups maybe?

... but that's a hugely important role which is, occasionally, even delegated to selected artillery lieutenant colonels.

Yes, the other element chiefs have EAs as well. No other staff dedicated to them.

Most Base chiefs (at least in RCAF bases) also have EAs, but are usually Sgts or WOs, not MWOs.
In an infantry bn the RSM is assisted by a QMSI (PPCLI) or DSM (RCR). They are the senior MWO in the unit and deal with day to day crap so the RSM can focus in bigger things. And just so you know not all RSMs are frothing at the mouth dress and deportment guys.

In an infantry bn the RSM is assisted by a QMSI (PPCLI) or DSM (RCR). They are the senior MWO in the unit and deal with day to day crap so the RSM can focus in bigger things.
I find it hilarious that the same job has a different name depending on the Regt.

And just so you know not all RSMs are frothing at the mouth dress and deportment guys.
…b-but CAF Reddit says so! :ROFLMAO:

I find it hilarious that the same job has a different name depending on the Regt.

…b-but CAF Reddit says so! :ROFLMAO:
CAF Reddit can take a flying f at a rolling donut.

As for the first I think I’m my crayon Brain the RCR might be patterned after line infantry,

The PPCLI is “light “ infantry as the Founder wanted an “irregular “ style. Dangerboy is probably the guy we need to engage.

Back