• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Navistar awarded 1300 truck contract

NFLD Sapper said:
Was talking to one of the design team members and he stated that they wanted to put a "half" box on the SEV (as the section rides up front) but higher ups decided that we needed the full length box..........

I think less a need for the full-length box than easier life-cycle management if eveyone gets the same box - with internal kitting differences.  Much easier to manage the fleet that may.

So has the deliveries of the MilCOTs already started or are these prototypes that we are seeing.

We are scheduled to receive ours here at CFSCE next month, but before before we can use them, most of us on the Instr staff here will have to go on an airbrake course.
Just in time as well, our MLVWs are pretty much done.

MCG said:
It's a bit bigger than the old MLVW.

You are the master of the understatment. I can see a lot of reserve unt not being able to get these into the armouries or even have the parking space for them.

If units identify infrastrucutre work required specifically because of the introduction of new trucks (and not lifecycle repairs and maintenance) the local support base should contact the Project Office; the project is mandated to cover costs related to the introduction.

We used to say: "If they put a new roof on your building your doomed to be shut down"

Easier said than done. many of the armouries are old, some are heritage, others are squeezed into a already dense urban space and may have issues with neighbours and local bylaws.

Colin P said:
You are the master of the understatment. I can see a lot of reserve unt not being able to get these into the armouries or even have the parking space for them.

Our backdoor has already been measured by CE ..... so I guess the new door will be installed in 2014 or thereabouts  ;D

I saw one of the new trucks today sitting on a lowbed in Edmonton. Nice looking unit but I was surprised to see only 1 fuel tank and a very small tank at that. 60-70 US gals. Considering how thirsty these new low emissions diesel engines are you will not be driving very far on that. I am guessing it has a Maxx Force engine since it was painted blue rather than red or yellow. Hopefully they give good service.

KJK :cdn:

KJK said:
I saw one of the new trucks today sitting on a lowbed in Edmonton. Nice looking unit but I was surprised to see only 1 fuel tank and a very small tank at that. 60-70 US gals. Considering how thirsty these new low emissions diesel engines are you will not be driving very far on that. I am guessing it has a Maxx Force engine since it was painted blue rather than red or yellow. Hopefully they give good service.

60-70 US gallons is somewhere like 227.12472 to 264.97884  litres. IIRC the MLVW has a 200 litre fuel tank.

I do have pics of the Engineer Variant on my DIN ACCOUNT, will post up later.

NFLD Sapper

I don't know what size the MLWV fuel tank is. I just thought it was strange that it would have such a small capacity. My personal experience says that more fuel is generally better especially if you have the framerail space for it and also considering the new engines thirst. There is lots of unused framerail space on the truck I was looking at. It was an extended cab version, only 2 doors, with a flat deck.

I learned today from my Transport sergeant that the engineer SEVs are being delayed. The reason: they break in half because they’re too heavy.

You'd think the people in charge would have used the lessons learned from previous projects. But hey, the more things change...

Belaj said:
I learned today from my Transport sergeant that the engineer SEVs are being delayed. The reason: they break in half because they’re too heavy.

You'd think the people in charge would have used the lessons learned from previous projects. But hey, the more things change...

Lets see some facts or documented proof of this. I have been in long enough to have received more than my share of rumours posing as "facts".

CDN Aviator said:
Lets see some facts or documented proof of this. I have been in long enough to have received more than my share of rumours posing as "facts".

That piece of info was given during CO’s call by the Tpt Sgt, so I find it credible. But I see your point; it could be a case of the telephone game and the real reason for the delay could be different. We’ll have to wait and see. Hopefully it won’t take too long (all our MLs are gone).

On a somewhat different note, has anyone here driven the MSVS SEV? Specifically, how’s the turning radius? Knowing how abysmal the turning radius on the MLVW SEV is, I fear that the new (much longer) trucks will be quite accident prone due to drivers lacking experience in handling big trucks. I don’t know for other brigades, but our brigade requires only 500km (used to be 300km) on the wheel course. When I did my dump truck course, we drove 1500km and I still feel we didn’t get enough urban driving. Am I being too pessimistic?  :-\

The ML was easy to turn, mind it was the first vehicle I drove with powersteering, the deuce was a realy bugger to turn.

Back