• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Combat Dress (NCD) uniform [Merged]

The coasts are apparently all switched over, but some of us in the middle of the country are still wearing the older version. I expect there will be a mix of the two uniforms for a while yet. My understanding is that Ottawa units were going to start switching in Dec, but I have been out of town working so I'm not tracking anything.

It was supposed to be rolled out by rank, with Jr. Pers getting the new uniforms, and more senior people switching as it became more available. It may be the case that your new unit is in the middle of transitioning to the new uniforms.
I plan on being the last person in the RCN to get the new combats.

Mine have arrived but I haven't been able to get into Stores to pick them up, seeing that stores is an hour drive away from my work location.

Mine have arrived but I haven't been able to get into Stores to pick them up, seeing that stores is an hour drive away from my work location.

Do you have a Stores section that could pick them up for you on a storea run ?

I like the ones I have, and am not excited to switch. I suppose it will happen eventually...
I’ll be retired before they are available in Ottawa. And if I quite lying to myself (about retirement) that will be 2025.

I wasn't pro NECUs. Now that Ive had them for a few months I like them.
They look pretty sweet - I work with some folks who wear them. They also seem to really like them and they seem to be constructed well.

If there wasn’t a project for the next generation flight suit already, I’d seriously propose those for non-ejection seat aircrew. The only changes I’d suggest would be:
  • Green vs black
  • Larger Velcro patch for the name tag and wings, which is a local tailoring thing
  • Velcro cuff closure (like the current flight suit / CADPAT) instead of buttons
  • Pen pockets either on upper arms or calf area - not the forearms like CADPAT
  • Zipper or Velcro closure for the hip pockets*

* I would also suggest those for our current flight suits, since every other pocket is closed but those ones

The USAF and US Army have had something similar for most of their aircrew since the mid-2010s.

You can tell that I’ve spent a lot of time bitching thinking about this :ROFLMAO:

I actually like the new Naval Combats, I just don't see a need for me to get them and I'll (I hope) to be fully retired in 18 to 20 months.
One of the complaints I've heard is that they are uncomfortable in hot weather. But I think there are ways around that issue.
But in the end they do look good on the sailors.

They look pretty sweet - I work with some folks who wear them. They also seem to really like them and they seem to be constructed well.

If there wasn’t a project for the next generation flight suit already, I’d seriously propose those for non-ejection seat aircrew. The only changes I’d suggest would be:
  • Green vs black
  • Larger Velcro patch for the name tag and wings, which is a local tailoring thing
  • Velcro cuff closure (like the current flight suit / CADPAT) instead of buttons
  • Pen pockets either on upper arms or calf area - not the forearms like CADPAT
  • Zipper or Velcro closure for the hip pockets*

* I would also suggest those for our current flight suits, since every other pocket is closed but those ones

The USAF and US Army have had something similar for most of their aircrew since the mid-2010s.

You can tell that I’ve spent a lot of time bitching thinking about this :ROFLMAO:
But would you have to chang the RCAF ball cap to green to match?

The actual burn test is planned for them next year, curious to see how they do performance wise.

new? hell I can't even get old crap out of this place in a decent time. Gave up and waiting until posted to see if new location can help. Every time I try getting to clothing stores they change their timings and are closed. Customer service is most certainly not a priority. last time I was able to get in they kept giving old uniforms that I rejected for such things as large stains, holes, incorrect size due to tailoring, busted zipper, etc. Got 2 shirts with different length sleeves that I didn't catch at the time. Don't know how 2 shirts same size has normal sleeve length while the other goes to the elbows. Oh, making an appointment has proved useless. Called and it tells me to email someone that ignores the numerous email. Name tags? yeah, 2 years and still nothing but promises to have it resolved.

new? hell I can't even get old crap out of this place in a decent time. Gave up and waiting until posted to see if new location can help. Every time I try getting to clothing stores they change their timings and are closed. Customer service is most certainly not a priority. last time I was able to get in they kept giving old uniforms that I rejected for such things as large stains, holes, incorrect size due to tailoring, busted zipper, etc. Got 2 shirts with different length sleeves that I didn't catch at the time. Don't know how 2 shirts same size has normal sleeve length while the other goes to the elbows. Oh, making an appointment has proved useless. Called and it tells me to email someone that ignores the numerous email. Name tags? yeah, 2 years and still nothing but promises to have it resolved.
Ah, NCR Clothing Stores.

I seriously considered driving to Trenton Clothing Stores when I thought I needed new flight suits.

The coasts are apparently all switched over, but some of us in the middle of the country are still wearing the older version. I expect there will be a mix of the two uniforms for a while yet. My understanding is that Ottawa units were going to start switching in Dec, but I have been out of town working so I'm not tracking anything.

It was supposed to be rolled out by rank, with Jr. Pers getting the new uniforms, and more senior people switching as it became more available. It may be the case that your new unit is in the middle of transitioning to the new uniforms.
Brick Tamland and Michael Scott on the same page discussing NCDs. Now that’s just weird….

Wait what - they were issued prior to a burn test?
Yes, but so were the previous NCDs.

All the materials (except the velcro) are all aramid FR rated, so it's mostly just looking at where there are gaps (like along the collar and the sleeves for some people).

I think the big difference is they got rid of the jacket, which gave an entire extra layer, and the tighter fit gets rid of air gaps that gave protection.

What will probably be a bigger problem honestly is things like some of the underarmor type underwear, which shrink when they get hotter, and if folks use the DEU belt. We'll probably test some of the morale badges as well, and see what the difference is between the stitched ones vs some of those fancy printed rubberized plastic ones. No idea why you need to wear morale patches at sea anyway; they would get dirty pretty quick.

Back