• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Photo!!! - The AFV Recognition Thread

Ok,

Here goes:

tanke.jpg

Not Russian.

NS

Swedish Landsverk L100
Prototype design from Landsverk. In 1933-34, ultra-light tanks weighing less than 5 tons drew attention. The Landsverk L-100 was designed in 1934, it weighed 4.5tons and was armed with single MG. Possessed a maximum speed of 55km/h. Never used by the Swedish army. The Landsverk L-101 which actually preceded the L-100 was a proposal of an ultra-light tank destroyer armed with a 20mm automatic cannon. However this project was dropped after the first drawing-board studies.

Sorry I didn't realize I had posted the above :p

thread sidetrack

Smitty...if you are done makin' the family tree...

Go back to work FFS.

(this is where you hit the "demote" icon...)

geo said:
here is a "funny" any guesses?
St. Chamond Model 1921-Chenillette St Chamond modèle 1921, build for export, Finland purchased one for tests.

1923 Saint Chamond Wheel cum Track (purchased by Spain)

7 units were purchased in September 16, 1923 so as to form a tank company. The Spanish soldiers quickly found out that they had been sold pure junk. They must have been purchased without any testing or someone received some "kick back" money because they were a failure from the start. After initial deployment, problems immediately arose with a total failure of one unit's drive system and it had to be returned for repair. After a few days 2 more failed just as the first. Soldiers quickly noted the lengthy time it took to switch from track to wheel. Other faults were thin armor, a weak engine, and a machine gun that could only be fired forward. The interior was prone to excessive heat and driver visablity was very poor. Further, the poor driver had to put up with hot, spent machine gun shell casings hitting his head as they were ejected! These vehicles were quickly retired. It is reported that 2 of these tanks are in a museum in Madrid but this has been disputed as there is no public display of them. Perhaps they are stored in private museums or "out of view" in a public museum.

Wow, they suck! And to think i used to complain about .50 cases landing on me in a carrier.
I've got a photo that i think could even stump Irondukes. Its a little complicated tho. The vehicle itself isnt too hard to sus out, its the history of this certain vehicle that i'm keen to see if he knows. Its a fairly famous car.
Anyone mind if i jump in at some stage (as soon as i figure out how to get it off the laptop, onto the computer and then onto here)?

Hale said:
I've got a photo that i think could even stump Irondukes. Its a little complicated tho. The vehicle itself isnt too hard to sus out, its the history of this certain vehicle that i'm keen to see if he knows. Its a fairly famous car.
Anyone mind if i jump in at some stage ...)?

No prob for me. (Especially as geo already has done that.
wink.gif
)

Regards,
ironduke57

(Heh... couldn't resist.  Was researching the Verdeja when I came across some really strange looking vehicles, of which the St Chamond is only one example. )

imgp2794dp7.jpg

By hal953, shot with PENTAX Optio W10 at 2007-08-14

It might be a bit hard, and it might be a bit vague. I'd suggest looking at the man on the left for your first clue as to when and where.
I've plenty more clues if you like.
What i'm after is what this individual vehicle did and what makes in Special in the RAAC.
Goodluck and i hope this doesnt turn out badly.

Hale, if I remember correctly, it's one of your Vietnam tracks whose crew did some fantastic and heroic work over there in the sixties - I remember reading that excellent book about the RAAC's Vietnam experience from both the Cav track and Centurion tanker perspective, but damned if I can remember more details.  That would explain the fellow on the left in the 'nam era OD green and boonie cap, looks like his gat is some sort of SMG - is it an AUSTEN?

Am I close?

Your pretty much on with those rounds. This was going to be my clue! The SMG on the left is an Owen gun, used early on in Vietnam till it was realised that the jungles of Vietnam werent the same as the jungles of PNG & the second world war. They found that the 9mm round wasnt at all effective at the slightly longer distances engagements happened at in Vietnam.
What i'm really after though, is for someone to tell me about 30A "Ironsides". You know its Vietnam and you know its early. I'm just after something on the battle it led.
The tree's there would give it away to most Australian Cav blokes.

Hale, I'm out of ideas and have a general sense of what happened but can't remember the details.  What is the name of that book, written by a retired Sgt, I think?  An Aussie mate of mine from 2 CAV lent it to me when we served in the Middle East and I found it fascinating but never got a copy of it.

Now the trees, this isn't going to be some sort of Flaming Killer Koala story now, is it?

Would this be it?:

http://members.tripod.com/sitrep1/cav28e.htm

Trooper Ian Bates.

Ian declined to be interviewed. The following short account of his service and fortitude is drawn from various sources, particularly When the Scorpion Stings- History of the 3rd Cavalry Regiment, Vietnam, 1965-72 by Paul Anderson.

Ian Bates drove an APC for his Troop Leader, Second Lieutenant Roger Tingley during the battle of Baria, a fair sized town situated south of the Australian Task Force Base and about a third of the way to Vung Tau.

On the way to Baria, Bates recalls that the Viet Cong attempted to ambush the Troop with its infantry company aboard with puffs of dust rising from bullet strikes on the road and its verges. An RPG round was fired at the Troop, but it missed.

Bates’s carrier, call sign 30A (Three Zero Alpha) was tasked with a section to protect the Baria Sector HQ. RPG teams were reported in the area and five rounds were fired at 30A. They missed, even from such short ranges as 20 metres. After more confused action, more RPG rounds were fired at Bates’s carrier and one struck it on the front right hand side.

Now, this type of weapon relies on a ‘jet stream’ to do its damage, that is, when the explosive charge is ignited, it uses the physics of shaped charges to form a narrow but extremely high temperature stream of matter to penetrate its target. This ‘jet stream’ penetrated the vehicle and the force of it slewed the vehicle to the right, causing it to crash into a building and rendering Bates unconscious.

The round also blew the back off Bates’s drivers seat and wounded him severely in his back, at the same time smashing the radio set-up and dazing the radio operator. This action also blew 2nd Lieutenant Tingley out of the vehicle. Bates regained consciousness in time for him to see his Troop Leader screaming at him to reverse away from the smashed building wall.

In spite of his wounds and in great pain, Bates did so and continued to drive the vehicle, albeit the thing was by now operating on only three cylinders. Keeping the wounded M113 going until it reached the main cross roads in Baria and with the other APCs in a defensive position, Bates finally collapsed from his wounds and was evacuated to 36 Evacuation Hospital at Vung Tau. Even here his troubles were not over, as the enemy decided to mortar the Australian logistics base which included the Australian Field Hospital. As the mortar strike came in, Bates and his fellow Cavalry wounded were told to get under their beds. Bates, still semi-conscious, had to be lifted down from his bed and covered with a pile of mattresses.

Through his actions, Ian Bates displayed the basic character of Armoured soldiers, courage, fortitude and willingness to keep going despite wounds and adversity.

Back