• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Photo!!! - The AFV Recognition Thread

OTO Melara OF-40

Design based on the Leopard 1, but modified in several areas and marketed as an export tank.  In service with the UAE.

Wow you guys are good, and I honestly envy you.

I have tried for years to get my AFV to the point where I could recognize them like cars but never got the knack like you guys have.

Vehicle on the bottom right corner of the photo.  What is it? 

*edited to flip the photo correctly; original was reversed left to right*

ironduke57 said:
IIRC some Chaffee based APC (from Turkey)

Regards,
ironduke57

That was my first thought but lacks the distinct front access plate, there appears to be a bulge on the roof between the driver and MG gunner, hence my thought of the M46.

Matt_Fisher said:
Can you be more specific?

A quick search found this information on another forum

"Cemal Tural" or "Orgeneral Tural" Kariyeri

"Orgeneral Tural Kariyeri" (Major General Tural [armored personnel] carrier) was based on the converted chassis of M24 Chaffee light tank, which were transferred from US in numbers in early 1960's, after Turkey joined NATO.

It was designed as a reconnaissance and light troop transport vehicle.

Technical specifications of the Tural APC are as follows:

Crew: 12
Weight: 18t
Weapons: 1 x 57mm gun, 2 x 7.62 machine guns
Range: 100 miles
Speed: 58 km/h

A small number of vehicles were converted in mid 1960's and all retired in 1971.

By the way, Major General Cemal Tural was the CinC of Turkish Armed Forces between 1966-1969. He was also a pioneer of armored warfare. If memory serves right the Tural APC project was started by his directive, either at the last stages of his post as Land Forces Commaner or early CinC.

One example of the Tural APC is (must be) present at Etimesgut Tank Museum, Ankara (the one in the very first photo, the of the thread)

Speculation: Maj. Gen Tural retired in 1969. He was an important actor in the turmoils that included many fractions and junta attempts within army. There were allegations that he even attempted a coup d'etat. Given that, the date of the cancellation of the project right after his retirement suggests that the reason of the retirement of Tural APC's was political, rather than technical / technological.

Blackadder1916 said:
A quick search found this information on another forum

"Cemal Tural" or "Orgeneral Tural" Kariyeri

*ding ding* We have a winner!

Some key recognition features that may have been useful:

1.  Large Turkish flag banners hung from the building in the background

2.  5 road wheels on the vehicle

3.  Bow mounted machine gun on the right hand side of the glacis plate

This would indicate it is indeed some derivative of an M24 Chaffee in Turkish service, and as Blackadder1916 used his Googlefu, indicate that this was a 'Cemal Tural" or "Orgeneral Tural Kariyeri".

Blackadder1916, the floor is yours.

AmmoTech90 said:
Weisel TOW, maybe 2

Not Weisel. Weisel has three road wheels, not four.

Edit: Thought it might be the Weisel 2 which does have four road wheel, but not so sure now. I think its a French vehicle, from the 60's.

Back