• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mystery objects/ Balloons over north America

More statement for the sake of statement from the DefMin (archived here)....
“Today (10 Feb) at the Pentagon, United States Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III and I participated in a call with NORAD Commander, General Glen VanHerck regarding a high-altitude object detected over Alaska. The object did not fly into Canadian airspace.

“During this conversation, I conveyed Canada’s support for taking action to take down this object. NORAD deployed aircraft to track and monitor the object and provided important information to decision-makers – and the object was taken down earlier today by United States Northern Command.

“The Canadian Armed Forces, the Department of National Defence and I will continue to work closely with our American allies to ensure the protection of North American airspace.”

Looks like they've closed the "domain awareness gap" and are rolling up an entire network (assuming all can be attributed to the Chinese collection program)

So as best as I can tell there were two distinct northern kills, both by F-22; one over Alaska, and one with our permission over Yukon. What the shit?

Angry Season 2 GIF by Paramount+

NOTAM up for a 30 nautical mile radius northeast of Dawson City, Yukon. This replaced an earlier, larger restriction so I suspect this reflects the fall of shot.

(F0351/23 NOTAMR F0349/23
A) CZEG B) 2302112244 C) 2302132100EST
E) PURSUANT TO SECTION 5.1 OF THE AERONAUTICS ACT, AIRSPACE
RESTRICTED WITHIN RADIUS 30NM CENTRE 6443N 13622W
(APRX 50NM E CHAPMAN AD(CEZ2)) DUE TO AN ACT AIR DEFENCE OPR.
NO PERSON SHALL OPR AN ACFT WITHIN THE AREA DESCRIBED EXC MIL
ACFT. FOR AUTH OR INFO CTC TC SITCEN.
F) SFC G) FL280)

This will be a tough area to get to and work in. Mayo has a 4500’ runway about 90km from the centre of the restricted area. Dawson City is a bit farther, slightly longer runway (5000’), way more amenities and infrastructure. Both communities are on the highway network. The area of the flight restriction is pretty rugged.

Who even works this? I’m assuming it’s Canada’s problem; I’m guessing CANSOFCOM would be the first fastest option… Who deals with investigating wreckage like this? CAF? Transport Canada? RCMP?

NOTAM up for a 30 nautical mile radius northeast of Dawson City, Yukon. This replaced an earlier, larger restriction so I suspect this reflects the fall of shot.

This will be a tough area to get to and work in. Mayo has a 4500’ runway about 90km from the centre of the restricted area. Dawson City is a bit farther, slightly longer runway (5000’), way more amenities and infrastructure. Both communities are on the highway network. The area of the flight restriction is pretty rugged.

Who even works this? I’m assuming it’s Canada’s problem; I’m guessing CANSOFCOM would be the first fastest option… Who deals with investigating wreckage like this? CAF? Transport Canada? RCMP?
As per the DM press conference, the RCMP is involved and a CP140 is searching for the impact area. It’ll be like finding needles in haystack.

Sounds like there's another NOTAM designating national defense airspace over Montana currently. Unsure if it's another object or unrelated. There's a tanker ONSTA.

Last edited:
As per the DM press conference, the RCMP is involved and a CP140 is searching for the impact area. It’ll be like finding needles in haystack.

I suspect there were eyes on it through the shoot down and as it fell… they probably know where the main body of wreckage is, at least roughly.

If this is RCMP’s jam, probably be a national security unit with a ton of assistance from Yukon RCMP. There are Canadian Ranger detachments in both Mayo and Dawson who might be the best bet for local knowledge of the land; that’s Na-Cho Nyak Dun traditional territory. Probably some guys and girls in red sweat shirts who’ve run trap lines or hunted up through there.

I hope we get to learn some of how this goes, it’ll be fascinating.

P3 needs a 4300' runway, and 5500' to clear 50'.

Back