• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Moving during Pres application process

chipinator

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm in the final (hopefully) stages of my application process for artillery officer through CFRC Toronto. I am hoping to be able to start training late autumn. Unfortunately, things have come up in my personal life that might force me to move to Montreal a year from now.

Assuming everything works out, would I be able to complete BMOQ here in Toronto and then transfer to the artillery unit in Montreal to complete the subsequent phases? Or am I better off trying to transfer and do all my training in Montreal? Or is transferring even possible?

Any advice/information is greatly appreciated, thanks!

In short yes, it is possible, but you have a lot of factors to consider:

- You don't even know if you are moving yet, so you can't initiate the transfer yet
- You are applying as an officer which means there are less spots, and montreal will need a spot for you
- Montreal will also need to want to accept you (which will likely require an interview on your part
- You are not only trying to transfer between brigades but divisions, which will slow down the process*. (If you enroll and try to transfer after)
- You aren't/will not be trained*. (If you enroll and try to transfer after)

With that being said it isn't a no either.

I transferred my PRES application between cities before I initially enrolled. I simply went to the other city prior, got a letter of recommendation and gave it to my local CFRC and transferred it to the other CFRC once it finished processing, I told the unit I was joining that I couldn't do anything until September and it wasn't an issue.

It will definitely be easier to transfer before you enroll but I also have a friend who transferred to Montreal after he joined. His transfer took about a year as an NCM but he still did his basic here and bused back to Montreal after every weekend for basic.

How long until you know if you will have to move? is the move for the foreseeable future? How flexible is your schedule? It might not be a bad idea to talk to Toronto beforehand and see what they suggest. It will definitely be easier to transfer before you enroll* (assumming Montreal wants to process you and that they have a spot for you) so consider that. If it is just a short term Move you can also look into an attach posting. but then again both units need to agree to it..

Best of luck.

Edit: Clarified two of the bullet points

Hi there, thanks for the information, that's definitely helpful.

I will most know for sure whether or not I will be moving between December and February, so I'm afraid that if I make it to Autumn training then the news will come halfway through...the chances that the move will happen are most likely 75:25 for.

I will keep what you said in mind though and try to speak with someone before enrolling...really wish I could know for sure beforehand. Thanks again for the tips!

Back