• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Movie: American Psycho

SeanPaul_031

Inactive
Reaction score
What did everyone think of this movie?

I loved this movie and thought it was a good look at the american dream.
...most ppl Ive talked to didnt like the movie cause they were too offended by the graphic scenes, but if you can watch it with an open mind its really interesting and its a nice satirical look at the upper class culture. Christian Bale's my new favourite actor

I have to admit.

It incorporated the song "Hip to be Square" VERY well.

Hah ya that was so funny.

Dont forget the sex scene w/ Phil Collins - susudio (sp?).....that part where he looks in the mirroir and runs his fingers back through his hair is one of the best shots in cinema history IMO

Brilliant! The sickest part about Bateman is how much he loves Whitney Houston...

This flick is just full of great quotes. 

"There is a moment of sheer panic when I realize that Paul's apartment overlooks the park... and is obviously more expensive than mine."

"There is an idea of a Patrick Bateman; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there. "

Great movie.  The book is much more gruesome - makes the asophogus feel pretty tight.

hah this movie is so funny Im gonna go buy the DVD....is the book a worthy read archer?

Some more quotes:
"I dont mean to get you girls drunk, but thats a very expensive glass of chardonnay that youre NOT drinking"

"JEAN: Then maybe we shouldn't go out to dinner. I wouldn't want you to lose your willpower.
BATES: That's okay. I'm not very good at controlling it anyway. "

"I have to return some videotapes"

"I guess I just want a meaningful relationship with someone special" (as he holds a nail gun to the back of her unsupecting head)

"He was into that whole Yale thing. Well, he was probably a closet homosexual who did a lot of cocaine. That whole Yale thing. "

...and on and on you could quote the entire movie cause everything Patrick Bateman says is f-ing hilarious, from the context that its coming in. As Christian Bale says in the bonus feature interview: "Theres a lot of black humour, you feel very guilty at laughing at some parts you shouldnt be laughing at"

I love how the movie ended though with this one:
"There are no more barriers to cross. All I have in common with the uncontrollable and the insane, the vicious and the evil, all the mayhem I have caused and my utter indifference toward it I have now surpassed. My pain is constant and sharp and I do not hope for a better world for anyone, in fact I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to escape, but even after admitting this there is no catharsis, my punishment continuous to allude me and I gain no deeper knowledge of myself no new knowledge can be extracted from my telling. This confession has meant nothing. "

Great movie.....I actually saw it when it first came out.  But I didn't read the book until recently. 

Many say the book was MUCH better, but I think its a difficult comparison, as the book was very very graphic and gory, and I don't think they'd get away with that in Cinema, even today.

I thought it was a great adaptation, and Christian Bale was awsome.

The book is brilliant. Way more hard-core (violent) than the movie. Interestingly, the woman who directed the film was Canadian.

Back