• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MLVW restrictions

For a bit of an update on this issue.

avgpjon said:
This just in from LFCA TC Meaford.

Because of trunnion (whatever they are...suspension item?) problems, the following restrictions apply:
1. No troop transport,
2. No ammo transport,
3. Max allowable road speed=60kph.

I had already ordered 4 Trunion assys in Wainwright WATC Maint & they were shipped from Montreal.
We normally had them done in a day, as we had spare bearings, seals & U bolts Ect in stock.
This was prior to the time this was initially posted.

Tango18A said:
The restrictions are removed by inspection. We still have some ML's that need to be lowbeded.

A week after I arrived home from Wainwright (3.5 yrs @ WATC), I was part of the BC insp team & we inspected 49
MLVWs in 1 day, between TEME Wksp Esquimalt, Chilliwack & 12 Svc in Richmond. The inspections were ultrasound
I preped, the person from Ottawa did the testing & A Wo took notes.  Of the 49 MLVWs tested we had 2 FAIL.
I informed the tester, of the replacements in Wainwright, told him they were easy to spot, the trunnion assy is painted white.

Later 2011, some of the worst MLVWs sitting @ TEME Esquimalt, were shipped for being parted out, by CORCAN
Earlier last year (2012), some of the Vancouver Island based trucks, were sent to Edmonton for a refurb of some kind, so the Reg force can use them.  Since their replacement fleet, for the MLVW is still non existant.

Late June of this year, I saw about 24  MLVWs on hwy 2 heading back to Edmonton from the floods in the Calgary area.

Have a question, just how many parts are unique to the ML (minus body parts of course)?

going from memory it was a Allison transmission coupled to a 7.3L V8 Diesel, both were basically commercial units. Axles would likely be Dana's or similar.

It seems to me that regardless of the vehicle we have it's the part acquisition system that is far more broken than the fleet will ever be.

what I see here may be a issue of quality of the part ,  over torqueing the nut , and also the fact that we are the only ones that install a V-8 power plant when all other users of the M-35 install a 6 cylinder , more torque for the trunion  and torque rods , this is  the item that does fail on other M-35 series vehicles, the rear suspension on the M-35 series was never designed for a V-8 and the current fix for the torque rod is garbage, cheap fix, compare a original torque rod to the new, last item would be the way the truck is operated by some of the drivers, some of the drivers just do not care but they may when the vehicle is their only way off the battlefield , that much abuse for that many years proves the fact the ML is a solid truck , I've not seen this problem with the US operated M-35 series  the original specs for this part does not show torque specs for the nut, my own collection of 2 1/2 trucks all WW 2 vintage and I have seen 100's of trucks and I've never seen this failure, these trucks are now pushing 70 years and many that I've seen have been abused much more than what any army could do, the problem here is the CF never does a rebuild and upgrade program for the tactical truck fleets and it is time we did,

Colin P said:
Have a question, just how many parts are unique to the ML (minus body parts of course)?

going from memory it was a Allison transmission coupled to a 7.3 8.2 L V8 Diesel, both were basically commercial units. Axles would likely be Dana's or similar.

It seems to me that regardless of the vehicle we have it's the part acquisition system that is far more broken than the fleet will ever be.

FTFY

eme411 said:
last item would be the way the truck is operated by some of the drivers, some of the drivers just do not care but they may when the vehicle is their only way off the battlefield

I think you hit the nail on the head with that part...

do any of you know if the break is the same on all the vehicles? if so this looks like it's all about the torque rod mod allowing to much lateral movement and stressing the stud to the point where it just breaks off, they should expect this break on every ML that has had the torque rod mod done , best fix is to go back to the OE torque rods, but now they have caused a much larger problem that all the ML's with the mod will require inspection for cracks,

Back