• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MLVW restrictions

2769 units orderd and enterd service in 1982 if the info on the DND web site is right. CFSAL must have got them first for driver trg. wow I feel old I have now out lasted the iltis  and now the mlvw, and soon the CF-18.

yes the LS we can only hope to its demise but with our Gov they will decide to keep it for 25 years like the iltis.

fix or repair daily sounds about right. Italian engineering at its best.

The transfer case lock indicator is now a Ford part, but it must be wired backwards to make it work.

I think its high time that this Italian stallion gets taken out to pasture and fed some HESH.

You have to also look at the 5/4 ton and the 3 different Military motorcycles the CF had since the early 80's.

In 25 years I never touched a bike. I did like the old I think it was a Ford 1 ton might have been a dodge. the 5 quad was OK but was a pain to fuel with a cap on each side.
But not to start a fight I would like a LS Amb to refurbish for the Military vech shows.

my72jeep said:
But not to start a fight I would like a LS Amb to refurbish for the Military vech shows.

Why go with a Canadian version of the Italian (IVECO) version of the German Unimog?  Why not go right to the original and get one of the Unimog Ambs that we had in Germany?  A much more versatile and reliable vehicle.

I did see one of those listed for sale at www.army-uk.info shipping might be fun.

George Wallace said:
Why go with a Canadian version of the Italian (IVECO) version of the German Unimog?  Why not go right to the original and get one of the Unimog Ambs that we had in Germany?  A much more versatile and reliable vehicle.
Were they the standard trany version of the LS? I remember some coming back in peaces to CFSEME in the mid 90s.

At one point there were both 1 ton Dodge and Ford at different Bases. The German UniMog would be my choice. Excellent off road capabilities.

Were they the standard trany version of the LS? I remember some coming back in peaces to CFSEME in the mid 90s.

Those could have been prototypes or an original IVECO. 1994 in Croatia I remember driving a standard tranny IVECO. Should have seen some personal who did not know how to drive a standard transmission on the column, thinking it was an automatic. LOL

before my unit gets too hot and h***y. can anyone tell me if the ML's (read Gun tractors) are allowed to go out into the field. ie going cross country.

TSM A said:
before my unit gets too hot and h***y. can anyone tell me if the ML's (read Gun tractors) are allowed to go out into the field. ie going cross country.

8.  Recommend the following restrictions be placed upon the MLVW fleet:

- MLVW will not be used for troop lift
- MLVW will not be used for ammunition transportation
- MLVW are not to be used on highways
- the fleet is restricted to a maximum speed of 60 km/hr

Doesn't say anything about no cross-country, but you'd need to follow the restrictions listed above. I have not heard of anything changing on these.

Yaay!!! got 3 of my gun tractors back!! Now if only they had some thing to tow!! 6 out of 7 unit ML's passed inspections  and restrictions are now lifted. finally a little bit of good news.

TSM A said:
Yaay!!! got 3 of my gun tractors back!! Now if only they had some thing to tow!! 6 out of 7 unit ML's passed inspections  and restrictions are now lifted. finally a little bit of good news.

Are the restrictions lifted due to inspection, or lifted by message? I'd love to get my Sig Stores ML back.

The restrictions are removed by inspection. We still have some ML's that need to be lowbeded.

Back