• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Quote

Shawn001

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I couldn't really find a "best forum" to post this in, so I thought I'd start here.

I heard a quote a while back, but can't remember exactly how it went.  I've searched high and low, but still it eludes me.  It was something to the effect of .....

"In the shadow of Victory, the weary soldiers lay down to rest, and death came - never give up". 

Anyone ??? it's driving me crazy, because I think I've reallt "bastardized" it.

Thanks all.

I think it's from Napoleon.  He was talking about the adrenaline dump after battle when soldier feel the most tired.  They lay down and sleep while the enemy counter attacks.  I think Grossman talks about it in one of his books.

You weren't even close:  ;)
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died.
Adlai E. Stevenson

It used to be at the PPCLI Battle School back in the day, with the words "never rest!" tagged onto the end.

Or, one of my favourite infantry mantras...

"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier."

Napoleon

Nice Goin !  Thanks for clearing that up for me, and no offence to anyone who's creed I bastardized, I did it because I wanted to learn it propperly !

Thanks again.

Back