• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military blunders with a twist

• Thread starter fusilier955
  • Start date
F

fusilier955

can anyone point me in the right direction for some military blunders at the hands of subaltern officers? i know it sounds quirky but help would be much appreciated.

How about this...
...1994, A winter night attack on the mountain at Moyay Lake B.C. in the winter.

Assault troop and PPCLI recce Platoon advanced over a frozen lake and just about took the objective ( basecamp) when the LDSH officer in charge of the attack fired several paraflares over his own troops.

Needless to say the defenders "won" that engagement.

The officer was later released for incompatence.

Sorry, not very dramatic and probably not what you‘re looking for.

thanks, is there anymore takers? perhaps Mr. Dorosh?

It‘s a long story, but look up "the Charge of the light brigade."
It was a colossal blunder at the hands of a Greek captain all in the name of arrogance. It‘s actually become a popular term used to describe a military error due to poor judgement by officers based on arrogance
to sum it up, an officer charged a greek light brigade against 6 infantry units and a calvary which were supported by cannon fire.
They did fairly well until reinforcements arrived and cut the calvary down.
had it worked it would have been brilliant, and of course the officer would have been famous, but it didn‘t and it was a colossal mistake.

How about blunders performed by civilians?
As an example, the election of the conservative and liberal governments that dismantled our Armed Forces. Standing by and silently allowing that to take place was a blunder of the highest order.
As Canadians we will all regret it as we look back from the future. Just wait. :(

When we need them the most, the same citizens who approved the starvation of the forces will demand protection and an inquiry all at once. :confused:

:salute: :cdn:

When they want protection lets sit on our hands and smile

"Hey sorry, we‘d like to help but we don‘t have the fuel. Send soldiers, are you kidding? If our young new soldiers get stressed they will just try and hold up little red cards. To add insult to injury we can‘t afford cards either"

GHOST778
Thats the way alot of us feel...The sad thing is that if a politician tells someone that something is alright, then they usually believe it. It would come as a genuine shock to most people that the army is in dire straights...
...God help us if anything actually come down for real.

By the way...I looked at your picture. Where was that taken?

here‘s one. The Arrow. The dismantling of the 5 project planes was the worst day in Canadian history if you as me. In the 50‘s Canada was on the way up, we were developing our industries and of thoughts being the areospace industry. From that day forward, Canada has not developed anything as a high tech or important. It locked us into buying US high tech and playing a backseat in most military projects.

RADIOHEAD
That‘s a classic...don‘t know how I could have forgotten it! Just another decision in a long line of stupid decisions that ridicule us further.

This sounds like something Capt. Vic would put a subbie up to. How about the one time in Gagetown when a certain junior officer slept through an O-Group given by the OC A-Coy, now the 36 Bde Commander.

lol, that is hilarious! actually it was given by Lt. Davis (probably came after you left) for an April Fool‘s Day research project to be done by all the subbies. we are trying to out do one another, i think the best blunder gets a free drink. im just get a head start on it cuz it is not to easy of a topic, most books focus on blunders from the senoir to general officer‘s level, so more help from anyone would be appreciated!

Here‘s one .. A certain "Follow ME, Lads!" type was acting as Crse O for a Reserve ISCC at PPCLI Battle School Wainwright... tried to set a Battle School record for one of the ruck marches. (he did - most blisters and twisted ankles/knees in the MIR, most men ordered onto the truck, most men on parade with sick chits authorizing sneakers the next day...)

While fighting range fires in Northern England a very gung-ho type Lt. came running around the back of the truck and gave the order to "follow me men" and promptly stepped off the road and up to his waist into the very solid-LOOKING peat bog.

I was working for a young course officer on a QL3 Infantry course, who got annoyed with the preformance of the troops during a lecture. As this was one of his periods and the NCO‘s weren‘t around, he decided to take corrective action by making the troops leopard crawl. Rather than doing the sensible thing and allowing us to drop the hammer when he was done the lecture.

At the time the OC‘s policy was that if you made the troops do corrective training, you had to do it with them. So he got down on the ground and gave ‘er with the troops. Gave ‘er so hard that he tore the **** out of his rotator cuff.

Now, this would be bad enough in itself, however, this young subaltren, had just signed a component transfer to the Regular Force....as a pilot. Probably the best example I have of what can happen when young officers try to do the good, Sgt‘s or MCpl‘s job.

In January 1994, two Hercs stuffed with US Marines flew into Iqaluit, Nunavut (NWT at the time) sometime in the early evening on their way to Norway. I was in the Iqaluit airport at the time picking up a parcel at the First Air ticket counter.

The US Marines filled the airport and a Major came over and asked me where the best place to eat was in Iqaluit. Apparently they hadn‘t eaten most of the day and had a 45 min layover. I told him my opinion and he thanked me.

I went outside and four Marines asked if they could have a ride into town. No problem. Most of the Marines were walking a short distance into the town looking for the local restaurants. I drove them to location where several restaurants
were located. They thanked me and off I went back to work.

Of course, waiting for me was a parcel I was susposed to take to the First Air ticket counter so back to the airport I went.

As I got into the airport, the same Major walked up to me and asked if he could borrow some of my time. Apparently, due to a miscommunication, they actually had a 5 minute lay-over NOT a 45 minute lay-over. I drove him and several officers around Iqaluit to the locate the Marines.
In each restaurant/bar, they ordered the men back to the airport on the double. All the food and drink orders had to be cancelled and this made Iqaluit businesses unhappy. You can‘t believe the scope of the mess. The US military worked it out later as I was told. There was potenial of 100 Marine supper orders going on.

As the men from various laocations were running back to the airport, I drove the Major and the rest of the officers back and finished what I had to do.

Upon leaving the airport terminal a short time later, the Major asked me if I could help him locate 4 missing Marines that hadn‘t checked in.

I kinda knew there was one restaurant establishment I didn‘t check initially. I drove TahoonikSahoonik and sure enough there were the 4 US Marines.

There is a certain difficulty in this. I told them, a Canadian standing there with a large parka and a funny looking touque, that they were ordered back to the airport NOW. And of course, they gave me a funny look and continued to wait for their food order. This restaurant/bar has never been know for expediency. Anyway, I waited for them to get the orders and I offered to drive them back to the airport. All the while they are giving me funny looks and I felt really really uncomfortable.

This is something to behold and I can‘t describe the in a way that recreates the feeling. As I drove the Marines into the mostly deserted parking lot of the Iqaluit airport, in the middle of it, standing all by himself with his hands on his hips, was a full bird Colonel. The Marines in the let out a collective "oh $hit!".

The Colonel strode up to the truck and yelled at the guys to the effect of "because of you ****** we are delayed get your a$$es into the airport... GO GO GO GO... you will share every bit of your suppers with the rest of the men....".

The guys blew out of the truck. The Colonel came over to me and in a quiet southern US drawl, he thanked me for getting the missing 4 marines and could I please go into town again and find his Sergeant.

I did and found him in town, and returned to Sergeant to the airport. The propellers on the Hercs were reving up by this time.

Iqaluit is a great town for weird stuff like this.

In the winter 1978 we had a Reforger ex with the 7 US Corps with the 101 Airborne brought in from the states.We in 4(CBMG) were commanded by General Fox.What he did was take his anti-tank platoon‘s from the RCR & R22R and deployed them as a screen.He then took the rest of us over the mountains,which the US Engineers said was im passable for tanks, and we knock-out the 101 as an ineffective unit for 24hrs. While the Americans sorted themselves out,we had our R&R in any town we pull in.The American General of the 101 was sent back to the states. An if you seened that poster of the Leopard painted in winter colors that was the exercise.

How about a Capt.with his map and compass on the hood of his jeep,with his weapon and helmet alongside trying to get a bearing and complaining that his compus must be N.S.
Then asking for another compass.
Oh yeh we were lost to,well he was leading :)

We just stood watching and snickerd the whole time,saying nothing. :D

Ok I’ll play.

The summer of 1986 I was teaching in Aldershot, actually on Muskrat’s CLC but that’s another story. Prior to that I was instructing on the Block 4, 5, 6 MITCIP (Lt. qualifying) and knew the staff and students who were doing an FTX in the same area as we were (Aldershot really isn’t that big). We were on the last night of our FTX and I another instructor were moving down the main range road with a section of CLC from point A to B.

We were only a couple of hundred meters from the range control shack, which is all lit up and quite visible and the main camp is just beyond it. Ahead of on the road was a solitary figure walking away from the shack and towards us. As he came closer we could tell he had a weapon (FN) and a radio on his back.

The other instructor and myself walked forward to talk to talk to him and discovered he wasn’t staff. He was a 2/Lt student from the Block 5 and one we both knew. There was immediate relief on his face when he recognised us. :confused:

Out came his tale of woe. He was part of a platoon sized fighting patrol and he had become separated and lost from the patrol a couple of hours earlier. He’d been blundering around for a bit in the woods until he’d found the road. He actually come out on the road about 50 feet from the range control shack (all lit up) and turned in the opposite direction on the road and began walking back into the training area towards us.

He didn’t even see the shack behind him until we turned him around and pointed it out. The poor guy was literally stifling back the tears when he told us what had happened, and the expression on his face when we turned him around and he saw the shack that he’d practically walked past was priceless.

I realise that it’s possible to get detached from a patrol in the middle of the night, but this guy was the patrol rad op and in the very centre of the patrol. How he got lost is beyond me? The kicker was of course that the patrol commander couldn’t even report him missing as he had the only radio. Naturally he never thought to use it and call range control for help.

We took him home (well actually the range shack) expressing concern while trying to keep from laughing and trying to keep Muskrat and the rest of the CLC from laughing too, unsuccessfully. :D Earned a couple of cold ones in the Sgt’s Mess over that one, mainly from the instructors on MITCIP Block 5.

The CSM of Leadership Company asked if we wanted to pursue the fact that this guy had got lost and
should be RTU’d. We figured he was a harmless Militia 2/Lt who would probably end up as Mess Secretary and eventually quit after a couple of years. He really wasn’t cut out for this.

My mistake, eight years later I was CSM of a rifle company in Toronto and guess who walked into the orderly room as a brand new Major and my new OC? :crybaby: :rage:

Back