• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mess Dress as a New Recruit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
FSTO said:
Not in the Naval Reserve.
Yes, but Pusser felt a need to respond to the Army-specific post by George Wallace; the point has been made that this is an Army Reserve issue.

Not so sure here, Journeyman, George himself was answering the previous post by Binrat55. Binratt's post quite clearly stated a policy regarding reserves that specified it applied to Air, Land and Sea elements.

On the other hand, it also spoke of "fitted" DEU.

Now, I have been out for  a while but in my days, any "fitting" to DEU in the naval reserves was at the member's expense, unless for medical reasons. You got issued the closest thing to your actual size and that was it.

I have to say that, "fitting" naval reservist early on is not necessarily the best policy. In my first five years in, I went through three different sizes: I joined at 16, by the time I was 18, I had grown up three inches (the CF [no DEU then] sleeves looked lovely three inches above my wrist  ;D ) and had to change all my uniforms. Then, by the time I was 21, I had bulked up by 40 pounds from "Spaghettini" size to properly proportioned chest size due to muscle build up and reached my final size. I had to change all my uniforms again  :nod:

I am pretty sure the majority of naval reservists still come from high school or early college years, so a lot of them haven't finished growing into their body.

Journeyman said:
You seriously believe that troops are flocking to release because they don't have DEU for those two days?  :stars:

Where did I ever say that?

I simply stated that I think it's a travesty that Army Reservists have to wait at least a year before being issued with proper dress uniforms and I am not convinced that this policy saves a significant amount of money.  However, it does lead to young Reservists either being denied the opportunity to participate in some events or forcing a unit to dress in a manner that may not be appropriate for the occasion (e.g. Change of Command or Freedom of the City in CADPAT).  I realize I am never going to convince some of the crowd that dress uniforms, with all their buttons and bows, are important, but nor will I apologize for believing that they are.

Frankly, if we really want to save money so that we can put it into ensuring that soldiers in the field (or sailors at sea for that matter) have all the kit they need and should have, then we should stop people who have no need to wear it from wearing it all the time.  There is no reason for anyone, at any level, sitting at a desk in a climate-controlled building in Canada to be wearing anything other than service dress.

Pusser said:
Where did I ever say that?

I simply stated that I think it's a travesty that Army Reservists have to wait at least a year before being issued with proper dress uniforms and I am not convinced that this policy saves a significant amount of money.  However, it does lead to young Reservists either being denied the opportunity to participate in some events or forcing a unit to dress in a manner that may not be appropriate for the occasion (e.g. Change of Command or Freedom of the City in CADPAT).  I realize I am never going to convince some of the crowd that dress uniforms, with all their buttons and bows, are important, but nor will I apologize for believing that they are.

Frankly, if we really want to save money so that we can put it into ensuring that soldiers in the field (or sailors at sea for that matter) have all the kit they need and should have, then we should stop people who have no need to wear it from wearing it all the time.  There is no reason for anyone, at any level, sitting at a desk in a climate-controlled building in Canada to be wearing anything other than service dress.

Moot points really.  If they are not trained to QL3 level, they for the most part don't have the experience at Drill to be partaking in those ceremonial functions.  For many they will wear CADPAT in support of those functions, and if not issued any uniform, attend in civilian attire as 'spectators'.

The Release rate of first year enrollees in the Reserves is actually fairly high in some locations.  Giving them a DEU uniform that they may never have the opportunity to wear, other than as a Poser somewhere after Release, is a waste of resources.

quick little intervention , and I might be out of my way correct me if I am but. 

I did Reserve BMQ , SQ + DP1 in 2013.  After the BMQ Part ... there were no drills ever ... SQ was basically 10 or 11 days long and DP1 was about 3 weeks to become a gunner.

So there was no point in doing drills or drill practice much after the BMQ part , there were a lot of pushup chinup and stuff like that but little to no drill.

So saying that someone that is not QL3 is not ready to be drilling ... I mean as soon as he his BMQ Qualified he knows pretty much as much as the other guy who is fully qualified ....

We're way off the original question that has been more than answered. Start something new if you want to discuss what\ who\ when gets whatever new uniform.

---Staff---

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back