• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MERX Watch: CF Buying "Protection ballistic boxes"

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
From MERX - .pdf attached if link doesn't work
Canada will acquire forty (15) protection ballistic boxes for National Defence Valcartier. The negociation will be done with the contractor "La compagnie Capteur de balle CBBT inc." à Ste-Catherine de la Jacques Cartier, QC . This product is unique and exclusive with this contractor who hold the right of the construction and conception of the product.

The description is:

1- The shields must be composed of four dismantlable panels with carrying handles.

2-The shields must be capable of being assembled and dismantled as modules in less than 2 minutes.

3- The shields must withstand the impact of 5.56 mm bullets fired from a distance of 10 m.

4- The shield panels must not produce ricochets (the panels must capture the bullets, i.e. The bullets are caught inside the panels).

5- The shield panels must be non-reflective for better concealment.

6- The shield panels must be rustproof and flat black, flat khaki brown or cadpat.

7- The shield panels must be paintable.

8- The shields must resist all-season bad weather without deforming or requiring maintenance.

9- The shields are made of galvanized metal and rubber.

10- The dimensions of the shields are: 510 mm (20.1") long, 290 mm (11.4") wide and 424 mm (16.7") high.

11- The thickness of the metal: the front panel consists of a ¾" sheet of rubber, glued to a 1/8" plate, a space created by ¼" metal rods, welded to a ½" metal plate 1 Ballistic protection box shall not exceed 100 pounds.

12-Other panels (side and upper1) consist of a ¾" sheet of rubber, glued to a 1/8" plate, a space created by ¼" metal rods, welded to a ¼" metal plate.

13-One or two men should be able to carry each shield.

14-The maximum weight of a shield must not exceed 100 lbs.

15-Each shield must have two large, tubular, U-shaped handles 6" wide and 3 13/16" high....

More on link

An interesting idea - but how practical is it?

Initial impression:  Although I can see how the panels can be used to advantage in several different situations, I dont see the point of making yourself a stationary highly visible target.  Plus, if its supposed to stop 5.56mm from 10 meters, shouldnt it also be able to stop grenade blasts? 

Greymatters said:
An interesting idea - but how practical is it?

Initial impression:  Although I can see how the panels can be used to advantage in several different situations, I dont see the point of making yourself a stationary highly visible target.  Plus, if its supposed to stop 5.56mm from 10 meters, shouldnt it also be able to stop grenade blasts? 

It would appear to be designed to protect a specific item, and not personnel:

The dimensions of the shields are: 510 mm (20.1") long, 290 mm (11.4") wide and 424 mm (16.7") high.

Protecting target control devices on ranges perhaps?

Must stop 5.56mm....
Umm what about 7.62mm??? (or is that going to be an upgrade)

The dimensions of the shields are: 510 mm (20.1") long, 290 mm (11.4") wide and 424 mm (16.7") high
And weigh +/- 100 Lbs

With those dimensions, you aren't about to get much in the way of personal protection....
Can you imagine the weight of a shield that would be able to shelter individuals (or pairs)

Target control devices... you might have something there Michael.  Those electronic ranges (a la Farnham) are somewhat delicate & I can imagine they've gotten buggered up over time with our "sharpshooters"

geo said:
Target control devices... you might have something there Michael.  Those electronic ranges (a la Farnham) are somewhat delicate & I can imagine they've gotten buggered up over time with our "sharpshooters" 

But if they are surrounded on all sides by these plates, doesnt that block all horizontal views?  Might work to protect a satellite dish that needs to work vertically...

I was thinking though that the shields would be linked together in some manner to form larger 'boxes', so not really limited to just 20" sized objects...

And a good point about 7.62 - if being used in unsafe areas around the world, a lot of 'the other guys' arent using the same size ammo we are...

My only question with respect to the "protecting something fixed on a range" train of thought is:  why the emphasis on (what appears to be) the need for on-short-notice portability?

1- The shields must be composed of four dismantlable panels with carrying handles.

2-The shields must be capable of being assembled and dismantled as modules in less than 2 minutes.

(....)

13-One or two men should be able to carry each shield.

14-The maximum weight of a shield must not exceed 100 lbs.

15-Each shield must have two large, tubular, U-shaped handles 6" wide and 3 13/16" high....

I know nothing about the range hardware in question, but I'm guessing such equipment wouldn't be moved around that much.  Or is someone thinking that the units could be assembled, brought out to cover the tender equipment, fired around on a range shoot, then taken apart and put away?  Sounds like a LOT of process to me if that's the case...

well, let's see....
The box they want to build in two minutes will have only four sides & last time I checked, a complete box has six (6) sides.

Satelite antennae/dish could be left exposed ( I guess) while the guts/innards would be protected.... would that fit into a box that's about 1ft square?

I dunno - unless this is just a test bed for something much larger coming in the future.......

Hmmm... maybe shielding for the receivers for the MINIRABS? I can recall seriously damaging one on the Demo Range here in Gagetown.

Reviving necrothread with another ACAN from MERX for 20 more (PDF attached if link doesn't work):
.... Canada will acquire twenty (20) protection ballistic boxes and
Protecting pannel for National Defence Valcartier. The
negociation will be done with the contractor "La compagnie
Capteur de balle CBBT inc." à Ste-Catherine de la Jacques
Cartier, QC . This product is unique and exclusive with this
contractor who hold the right of the construction and
conception of the product.

Protection ballistic boxes

-The shields must withstand the impact of 5.56 mm bullets fired
from a distance of 10 m.

Protecting pannel

-The shields must withstand the impact of 5.56 mm and 7.62 mm
bullets fired from a distance of 10 m.

General Technical specifications:

1- The shields must be composed of four dismantlable panels with
carrying handles.

2-The shields must be capable of being assembled and dismantled
as modules in less than 2    minutes.

3- The shield panels must not produce ricochets

4- The shield panels must be non-reflective for better
concealment.

5- The shield panels must be rustproof and flat black, flat
khaki brown or cadpat.

6- The shield panels must be paintable.

7- The shields must resist all-season bad weather without
deforming or requiring maintenance.

8-One or two men should be able to carry each shield.

9-The maximum weight of a shield must not exceed 100 lbs ....

Seems more likely it's for live-fire training exercises, like urban environment or convoy stuff, if you combine it with a lifter. 

Back